My main gripe with Thailand. Why I am so <deleted> at the Thais and why I ultimately left.

NanaSomchai

15 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

The only reason why I quoted you is to prevent you from editing your... your... "work" so the others get to read it.

What a true gentlemen!

Not the least bit ashamed of what I wrote.  I mean every word.  Would never edit.

It's interesting (but not surprising) that you ignore all the points people make about your irrational thinking/behavior and focus only on the negative conclusions they reach.  The conclusions are valid, like it or not.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

I see them for what they truly are: Farang must pay, Not my problem

I had 2 dogs die in my village - they were not strays... definitely my dogs - both were buried for me... nobody asked for money... 

2 hours ago, NanaSomchai said:

at the same time could not understand, fathom or comprehend why no one in the village would even care?

likely because there is a new crop of strays every year... it happens...

but this all seems a small part of a larger story... 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

I'm going to phrase this poorly and I know generalizations suck but... unless I'm proven different and to this day, to me, a very large majority of the Thais have no respect for another's life.

There is only one thing; MONEY.

In this culture, a life is simply a vehicle, a conveyance to the next cycle of of life, suffering and death.

Money helps keep the vehicle moving. Some need more but a lot do with less.

Not at all sure where the dog fits in but for me, after 15+ years in Isaan, the following resonates.

1 hour ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Maybe, just maybe the whole village was convinced that Nan the dog was an incarnation of maybe a murderer in that village. Maybe the murderer hanged himself and was reborn as a dog. And obviously nobody liked that murderer/dog.

Anyway, good luck to the OP on his next adventure.

10 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

I have my eyes set on Saigon life at this very moment.

Make sure you don't fall in love with a dog while you're there. You could end up going hungry.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Chris.B said:

Clearly, Thailand is not for you! I think your ex-wife seems a bit unreasonable.

I got some dog bowls for 20 baht each in the 20 Baht shop in Lotus. ????

20 baht?! See, even paying 45 baht each shows how they have no problems double pricing a foreigner... oh well, at least these bowls served a good purpose.

1 minute ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I had 2 dogs die in my village - they were not strays... definitely my dogs - both were buried for me... nobody asked for money... 

There we are. You have no idea what (at least this part of) your post means to me.

Nobody should be asking money to bury a loved deceased animal (unless you are a professional and do this for a living).

They were clearly trying to extort me in an obvious moment of distress. Thai style.

Thanks for chiming in.

15 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

How funny!  The Vietnamese will stick it to you worse than the Thais.  Double pricing?  You don't know the half of it...  Just another accident waiting to happen.

At least they eat dogs in Vietnam.  One less concern for you...

They eat dog in Sakon Nakhon as well.

Had a bit of dog stew in Korea. Truly, the proverbial mutton dressed up as lamb.

Westerners are neurotic about what they will eat. We apply an IQ test. If the Spot, the dog, comes when you call, he's safe. If Elsie, the cow, doesn't, it's get in truck, Elsie, McDonald's is waiting. But it's all meat in the end, just like we are.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Thanks to those who posted sensible heartfelt comments, the intent behind this thread was to share my story of my experience in Thailand (at least bits of the final year) while disclosing the reason why ultimately I was left with no other options than selling and leaving.

Again my motives are mine and solely mine, in the very end I sold what I could, recouped some of my losses whereas possible and applicable and to this day I have very little regrets of leaving the Kingdom for good.

I wish I could recommend visiting or retiring to Thailand to anyone (not on these forums obviously, duh) but I actively advocate against it for different reasons obviously, mainly tied to politics, not related to my unfortunate dismissal.

Again, this thread should serve as a mere glimpse of what my life experience in Thailand was at the very end, your mileage will most likely vary, the next time you see me posting, you'll be able to comprehend which angle or should I say which POV I'm from.

As a few closing words, I'd like to state that I used to love Thailand, 10+ years ago, I fell in love with the place, the girls, the energy, the vibe, with a lot of things, it was puppy-love at first sight but as the time wore on, I caught on that Thailand is nothing but a fairy tale (again according to me).

Thailand is its own place and, in itself can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven.

/thread

• Like 2

I can not and as yet  find no reason to understand why the quite prolific number of ex expats or  even shorter term visitors to Thailand insist on  coming into forum site or other to  vent personal failure. How many of them n/ever state prior personal failure in places of origin?

I can feel empathy but not sympathy. I would guess there are few who even having achieved a satisfactory  situation in life who could say they have never experienced some period of stress and instability in any and every facet of life. Coming  back to revisit  failure  I feel is  proof of  the cause!

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mistral53 said:

Imagine for a second that there are people killed in multiple wars all over the world right now, innocent women and children trying to just survive........and there was a dog in Thailand in a remote village that broke your heart..........? right!

That's not a hard one...

The dog, he could reach out and touch.  All the souls you mention in other places and countries, he has no ability to have personal contact with.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, LaosLover said:

Had a bit of dog stew in Korea. Truly, the proverbial mutton dressed up as lamb.

Westerners are neurotic about what they will eat. We apply an IQ test. If the Spot, the dog, comes when you call, he's safe. If Elsie, the cow, doesn't, it's get in truck, Elsie, McDonald's is waiting. But it's all meat in the end, just like we are.

True. But my  sampling of that sour form of protein left me a devotee of the more accepted.

I have no objection to the consumption but I vehemently object to the disgustingly cruel method of killing that inexplicably (to me) involves prolonged beating to death !

45 minutes ago, NotReallyHere said:

How funny!  The Vietnamese will stick it to you worse than the Thais.  Double pricing?  You don't know the half of it...  Just another accident waiting to happen.

At least they eat dogs in Vietnam.  One less concern for you...

The OP seems wholly unsuited to life in SE Asia..

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

That's not a hard one...

The dog, he could reach out and touch.  All the souls you mention in other places and countries, he has no ability to have personal contact with.

So access and locality define the interpretation of humanitarian concern?

The sad eyed dog in your face  prompts more  reactive emotion than a bloodied war torn victim or  starving children in some remote location? The imperative is contained in a bubble of personal existence because beyond that is incomprehensible and therefore lesser than the direct and more tangible sad eyed starving stray dog  in front of you . Ok. Normal in concept of social  normal.

I wonder if people in a remote Thai village even know what if rhymes with Deaf and rhymes with Dew means. This defiant gesture may have just been baffling to the locals

Can someone like IssanLife enlighten me? Is <deleted> as pervasive as a western import at the level of Coca Cola?

Edited by LaosLover
There are 2 letters here you apparently can't put together.

I can understand the villagers wanting some money to bury the dog as it is manual labour, but asking for 3k is taking the proverbial. If I heard 300 or 500 I wouldn't have thought much about it. 

If I were in your area I'd have done it for nothing. Like you I feel its the right thing to do. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, NanaSomchai said:

There we are. You have no idea what (at least this part of) your post means to me.

Nobody should be asking money to bury a loved deceased animal (unless you are a professional and do this for a living).

They were clearly trying to extort me in an obvious moment of distress. Thai style.

Thanks for chiming in.

I agree nobody should be asking for money for this and I know if it was us, my wife would have taken care of it and actually did... no issues... when our first village dog died, I had carried him up to my office so I could sit w/him all night. My wife was upset too and I don't know who helped her w/digging a grave - everyone had sympathy for me as they knew I was crying and then finally fell asleep. They later showed me where they buried him. I am sure that the thought of $$ never crossed their mind... 

But then, I had lived w/the family for many years at that point and had assimilated a good bit. Though I cannot imagine any point at which they would have done differently... They are really nice people.. 

And so for me, your use of the word "Thai style" has a bad connotation. For me, "Thai style" has been mostly a very good thing. What they did to you is terribly wrong, beyond the $$ just to let a dog rot away like that is disgraceful. I have been with my family for 20+ years now and they are consistently some of the finest people I have known and they were extremely poor farmers... I could relate to you far more good stories than I could about my highly successful but very dysfunctional Western family. 

And from what I read on this forum and what I have seen, sometimes the families here have good cause to hate the farang... and often the farang don't have a clue as to the offenses they commit. I was lucky as my wife was there to guide me and I had several good Thai friends to help me understand the cultural differences. Having things explained well and w/o a bias was unending help. 

It sounds like your wife should have been more helpful but I would ask, where was her anger coming from? What family member was in her ear? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, alien365 said:

I can understand the villagers wanting some money to bury the dog as it is manual labour, but asking for 3k is taking the proverbial. If I heard 300 or 500 I wouldn't have thought much about it. 

If I were in your area I'd have done it for nothing. Like you I feel its the right thing to do. 

The point is, if 3,000 baht is too much, did it occur to the OP that he really needs to bury the dog, so to renegotiate to somewhere both party can agree? No. He did not. Every farang in Thailand knows sometimes you have to haggle. Could the OP offer 1,000 baht instead to get things done? Not according to the OP. Did the OP ask his wife to communicate and to haggle? If not, why?

Maybe if you ask this question you would realise how far stretched the story OP is telling. Or how immature the whole episode is if the OP is telling the true story.

10 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

I agree nobody should be asking for money for this and I know if it was us, my wife would have taken care of it and actually did... no issues... when our first village dog died, I had carried him up to my office so I could sit w/him all night. My wife was upset too and I don't know who helped her w/digging a grave - everyone had sympathy for me as they knew I was crying and then finally fell asleep. They later showed me where they buried him. I am sure that the thought of $$ never crossed their mind... 

It wasn't even really my dog to begin with and yet it hurt like hell, in fact it still hurts to this day, so in your case I can only imagine the pain you have felt at the time, allow me to empathise.

And indeed asking money for this is straight up extorsion, it is plain wrong. I'm baffled at the volume of posters in this thread who lack the common sense to understand and comprehend something as basic as this.

But then, I had lived w/the family for many years at that point and had assimilated a good bit. Though I cannot imagine any point at which they would have done differently... They are really nice people..

Yeah I had been there for a year tops, I don't speak Thai and they were not fluent in English either, I could only guess that didn't help one bit.

And so for me, your use of the word "Thai style" has a bad connotation. For me, "Thai style" has been mostly a very good thing. What they did to you is terribly wrong, beyond the $$ just to let a dog rot away like that is disgraceful.

I'm sorry it "offends you". What they did is terribly wrong, when I come to think of it after all these months, I begin to wonder if I somehow hadn't bonded more with the dog "nan" than with any of these villagers.

I was lucky as my wife was there to guide me and I had several good Thai friends to help me understand the cultural differences. Having things explained well and w/o a bias was unending help. 

It sounds like your wife should have been more helpful but I would ask, where was her anger coming from? What family member was in her ear? 

Probably her father, a good for nothing drunkard. Might not have been the "best" wife either, but I'm digressing.

Thank you for your heartfelt post.

This thread has run its course. /thread

Edited by NanaSomchai