Letter of RESIDENCY / Buying a new Car / And getting a Thai Driving licence

Hi Gents 

Any information on

Getting the letter of RESIDENCY? What is need? At Immigration 

And do I need one to buy a new car? Not on finance 

And sure I need for a Thai Driving licence? How to do in BKK? 

Any help much appreciated. 

Cheers 

Gee

Edited by Gee Bangkok

13 hours ago, fondue zoo said:

Is Muang Thong Thani providing Residence certificates for everyone and all visa types? 

You need to have done a 90 day report. 

What do you need the residence certificate for.

If it's for eg drivers license or bank account your embassy may confirm your address with a letter that will be acceptable.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes

hi Joe, would you be so kind as to reiterate what the 'house information' is? I'll be needing a residence certificate from MTT in about a month so I can open a bank account.

nb. Aus citizen on non-O "retirement visa" optained via agent in Patts. First time 90 day report is due 27th of March. presumably I also do this at MTT and with same 'house information'. 

9 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

. Aus citizen on non-O "retirement visa" optained via agent in Patts. First time 90 day report is due 27th of March. presumably I also do this at MTT and with same 'house information'. 

You obtained visa and extension using an agent from Pattaya? 

Which immigration office issued your stamps. 

You mention MTT. Are you living in Bangkok..

Your 90 report not as straight forward as your thinking.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

You obtained visa and extension using an agent from Pattaya? 

Which immigration office issued your stamps. 

You mention MTT. Are you living in Bangkok..

Your 90 report not as straight forward as your thinking.

Jomtien issued the stamps. I was on visa exempt and living in hotels. only just decided to lease a place in Bangkok for 12 months. the agent will do 90-day reports for free, all I have to do is take/send passport to Pattaya, but I also want to open up another couple of bank accounts here in Bangkok. this is besides the one I got in Pattaya that was facilitated by the agent. 

the agent's office says I might get some tricky questions from BKK immigration, are you saying that I should avoid them? I want a hassle-free life here so if you say stay away then I will ????

1 minute ago, Lemsta69 said:

the agent's office says I might get some tricky questions from BKK immigration, are you saying that I should avoid them?

Why would you be dealing with Bangkok immigration? 

If the answer is to obtain a residence certificate then you will need to do a TM30 change of address. 

At MTT the desk for doing 90 day report (que A) is adjacent to desk for residence certificate (que B).

You could try and do a TM30 and then 90 day report and at same time as applying for residence certificate. 

Note: I assume the agent obtained the non O and extension without you actually having 800k in Thai bank?

I'm surprised the stamps were issued in Jomtien if that's the case. 

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Why would you be dealing with Bangkok immigration? 

If the answer is to obtain a residence certificate then you will need to do a TM30 change of address. 

At MTT the desk for doing 90 day report (que A) is adjacent to desk for residence certificate (que B).

You could try and do a TM30 and then 90 day report and at same time as applying for residence certificate. 

Note: I assume the agent obtained the non O and extension without you actually having 800k in Thai bank?

I'm surprised the stamps were issued in Jomtien if that's the case. 

I came here in December on VEE and headed straight to Pattaya because it's one of my fave places in the whole wide world ????

I stayed in Patts for Dec/Jan and whilst I was there I got the non-O conversion and 12 month extension via one of the famous agents on Soi Post Office. I did have 800k in the bank, for a minute or two at least ????

but Pattaya isn't big enough for me anymore so moved into a condo in Pathum Wan, Bangkok and I figured I'd try and open back accounts at my nearest branch. hence the need for a residence certificate which I presume I must obtain from the local immigration office.

but apparently I can't get res. cert. from BKK immigration without first doing a 90 day report. as for the TM30, to the best of my knowledge that has already been done by the property agent I used to rent the condo. they gave me a screenshot of the submission and presumably I print that out before I go to immigration.

14 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

I came here in December on VEE and headed straight to Pattaya because it's one of my fave places in the whole wide world ????

I stayed in Patts for Dec/Jan and whilst I was there I got the non-O conversion and 12 month extension via one of the famous agents on Soi Post Office. I did have 800k in the bank, for a minute or two at least ????

but Pattaya isn't big enough for me anymore so moved into a condo in Pathum Wan, Bangkok and I figured I'd try and open back accounts at my nearest branch. hence the need for a residence certificate which I presume I must obtain from the local immigration office.

but apparently I can't get res. cert. from BKK immigration without first doing a 90 day report. as for the TM30, to the best of my knowledge that has already been done by the property agent I used to rent the condo. they gave me a screenshot of the submission and presumably I print that out before I go to immigration.

You will need to do a TM30.

You have changed address from Pattaya and now live in Bangkok. 

So the first step is to make a TM30.

As I mentioned previously you would need to make a 90 report and apply for RC.

That can be done at the same time.

However if you only really want to open bank account in Bangkok then that may be possible without the RC.

Some banks (eg Kasikorn) would most likely do one since you have a non O and annual extension. 

A lease would help if you have one.

Bangkok Bank require RC or letter from your embassy (if they provide one) Oz embassy as one example, do not.

Since you have an account with Bangkok Bank you could try them first. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1

On 2/26/2022 at 9:22 AM, ubonjoe said:

You have to be doing 90 day reports to apply for it. It will be done at the Muang Thong Thani office.

You will pay a fee for them to send it by EMS in about 2 weeks after applying for it.

You will need proof of your address when you apply.

Edit: You will need to completed this from. Application For Certificate Of Residency48.26 kB · 1561 downloads

Is this something new UJ or is it specific to Bangkok?  I haven't had to apply for a confirmation of address for a long time but whenever I've needed one to register motor vehicles, open a bank account and apply for my driving licence etc., I just took my house details/Usufruct and Multi Entry Non O visa (no 90 day report) to Korat Immigration and they supplied me with a letter for 500 baht. 

Or is it because simply because I've requested a confirmation of address as opposed to an actual Residence Certificate (which until now, I thought didn't exist)?

I don't think there is an actual charge for a confirmation of address but I doubt I'd have got one without paying.

Edited by KhaoYai

US citizen? If yes, can go to US embassy and get Residence Certificate there for $50 USD or THB equivalent. You just affirm to the notary your address and sign in front of her/him. They sign and stamp it and good to go. That's what I did a couple years back. I did have a Retirement Extension, but was not doing 90 day reports so this was my only option. 

37 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Or is it because simply because I've requested a confirmation of address as opposed to an actual Residence Certificate (which until now, I thought didn't exist)?

It's same thing.

BTW ....they are free but most immigration offices charge a "handling fee"

At Mueang Thong Thani it's 200baht and posted EMS. Takes up to 2 weeks. Most likely one.

The 500b you paid at Korat is same deal. 

Another way is to charge for on the spot issued vs mail out in few weeks. At a cost.

You cannot use pink card, lease  or whatever as proof of address.

In Bangkok you require a residence certificate or letter from embassy 100% to obtain TDL.

Agent cannot get around that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, KhaoYai said:

Is this something new UJ or is it specific to Bangkok? 

Immigration in Bangkok will not issue a certificate of residency unless you are doing 90 day reports to them.

A confirmation of address and a certificate of residency is the same thing.

• Thanks 1

One member mentioned that certificate of residence is 200 baht.

In Hua Hin/Prachuap Khiri Khan it's 500 baht. If/when you use it to open a bank account (which is a requirement) make sure the bank gives the original copy back to you - as they will keep it unless asked not to

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

You will need to do a TM30.

You have changed address from Pattaya and now live in Bangkok. 

So the first step is to make a TM30.

As I mentioned previously you would need to make a 90 report and apply for RC.

That can be done at the same time.

However if you only really want to open bank account in Bangkok then that may be possible without the RC.

Some banks (eg Kasikorn) would most likely do one since you have a non O and annual extension. 

A lease would help if you have one.

Bangkok Bank require RC or letter from your embassy (if they provide one) Oz embassy as one example, do not.

Since you have an account with Bangkok Bank you could try them first. 

thanks mate  so I need to do a 2nd TM30 for my condo? property agent already did one and gave me a receipt. not sure if they recorded it as my 'permanent address' or not though, they didn't seem to understand the question.

if I have to do a TM30 again will a copy of the lease suffice or do I have to bring the 'house information' whatever that is. chanote and landlord's ID right? and I'll be doing this ASAP I guess (moved in 22 Feb)

apologies for the annoying questions. I follow this forum but it's easy to forget all the minor detail if you're reading it from afar. and now that I'm here big nights on the town don't help the old memory either ????

8 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

It's same thing.

BTW ....they are free but most immigration offices charge a "handling fee"

At Mueang Thong Thani it's 200baht and posted EMS. Takes up to 2 weeks. Most likely one.

The 500b you paid at Korat is same deal. 

Another way is to charge for on the spot issued vs mail out in few weeks. At a cost.

You cannot use pink card, lease  or whatever as proof of address.

In Bangkok you require a residence certificate or letter from embassy 100% to obtain TDL.

Agent cannot get around that. 

Yes, mine were issued whilst I waited. Strangely but not that strangely if you know what I mean, Kasikorn wanted yet another confirmation of address when I applied for a second bank account.  The fact that I already had one account with them didn't seem to matter.

When you say 'You cannot use pink card, lease  or whatever as proof of address' - I presume you mean as an alternative to a confirmation from Immigration?  I have certainly used my Usufruct to obtain the confirmation.

7 hours ago, andychk said:

In Hua Hin/Prachuap Khiri Khan it's 500 baht. If/when you use it to open a bank account (which is a requirement) make sure the bank gives the original copy back to you - as they will keep it unless asked not to

Keep it by all means but its pretty much useless for anything else.  I had no idea what my first confirmation stated as it was written in Thai.  They actually say what they are for and you need a separate one for each purpose - mine also had a 3 month expiry date on it.

Hi everyone, I have been lurking around the forum for a few months but just registered an account. 

May I know if I can use the same Residence Certificate to open a Bank Account for buying a car/motorcycle? Or I need to get a new Residence Certificate? Thanks. 

22 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Letters of Residence are free from immigration, but some 'pay' to get them quicker as they don't want to wait a few days and a return trip to IO. :coffee1: 

Return to immigration for pick up is not available at MTT..