SANCTIONS: U.S., allies target 'fortress Russia' with new sanctions, including SWIFT ban

13 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Putin knew more sanctions would be inforced cause that's all they can do and all they want to do. 

Ukraine sadly is a lamb to the slaughter.

The sad thing is Ukraine is in a catch 22 situation, I believe that Z Ukrainian President thought that NATO or America would intervene and still believe's they will and keeps asking.

The UN is fast tracking Ukraine into the EU that will be of great help. ????

I think he should of realized it wasn't going to happen when they offered to take him and his cabinet out of the country in the beginning.

I think no-one has an idea what Russia will do and Russia are playing it like chess.

The war is full of a lot of guessing hot air windbag politicians on media and radio, TV stations and also full of OTT emotion.

It's war make an offer and get it stopped.

If Ukraine is a lamb, what does that make Russia? A lamb's b1tch?

And what in the world do you mean by "The UN is fast tracking Ukraine into the EU that will be of great help." Was that meant to be some kind of joke? Or do you actually believe that the UN has any say in who gets to be in the EU?

"Russia is playing it like chess?" You mean they sacrificed a lot of pawns, knights, bishops, and rooks for no discernible advantage? Do you actually believe that Russia's invasion is going according to plan?

I just hope that the Russians are as deficient in information as you appear to be.

Edited by placeholder
  • Like 1

On 2/28/2022 at 4:03 AM, gargamon said:

It's the 21st century war. No longer how many bombs dropped or troops deployed. Do something bad and we will prevent you from doing business with the rest of the world. Want to play in the big sandbox, you need to play by the big sandbox rules. 

The big sandbox will experience higher prices,  it may get a bit cold with fuel shortages, etc., but democracy is not easy, and occasionally must be earned.

I suspect that soft western citizens will not accept being cold in support of Ukraine. Europe is lucky that summer is coming, and the war will probably be over by next winter.

• Confused 1

10 hours ago, placeholder said:

If Ukraine is a lamb, what does that make Russia? A lamb's b1tch?

And what in the world do you mean by "The UN is fast tracking Ukraine into the EU that will be of great help." Was that meant to be some kind of joke? Or do you actually believe that the UN has any say in who gets to be in the EU?

"Russia is playing it like chess?" You mean they sacrificed a lot of pawns, knights, bishops, and rooks for no discernible advantage? Do you actually believe that Russia's invasion is going according to plan?

I just hope that the Russians are as deficient in information as you appear to be.

Yes. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, heybruce said:

Sacrificing a large portion of its conventional forces in a failed move to take Kyiv was a chess move?

Objecting to the bombings of hospitals, schools, and a railway station packed with civilians fleeing the war is OTT emotion?

Did you read the end sentence of my post. 

2 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Did you read the end sentence of my post. 

Pretty sure Zelensky's offer was <deleted> and maybe sanctions will be lifted after Putin goes to the Hague.

Edited by metisdead
Profane acronym removed.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

How about don't bother and let the war go on for years then. 

That's about as specific as saying "Make Peace, Not War." You've got nothing.

How about actually giving some indication of what should be offered and by whom? And while you're at it, how about estimating the odds a Putin-led Russia is to be trusted to keep its word?

But it is interesting to note that you think the war will continue for years. Do you think the Russian economy is going to have the resources to wage war for years? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ozimoron said:

You don't seem to acknowledge that the onus is on Russia to stop what they started.

So you expect Russia to do it's duty and be responsible.

I think in the way of the real world and acknowledge that Russia will be ruthless.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, heybruce said:

I did.  It was pointless and had nothing to do with my reply questioning your chess and OTT reporting comments.

I don't have to answer your questions on points I make.

Have you anything to add to the thread that will stop the war.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

That's about as specific as saying "Make Peace, Not War." You've got nothing.

How about actually giving some indication of what should be offered and by whom? And while you're at it, how about estimating the odds a Putin-led Russia is to be trusted to keep its word?

But it is interesting to note that you think the war will continue for years. Do you think the Russian economy is going to have the resources to wage war for years? 

Yes.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

So you expect Russia to do it's duty and be responsible.

I think in the way of the real world and acknowledge that Russia will be ruthless.

You think in the way of the real world? Aren't you the party who says Russia is playing chess and gleefully sacrificing pieces and treasure to no discernible advantage? Looks like the reality you're living in is virtual.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Not just that. They are losing citizens who should be at the beginning of productive careers - net contributors to the economy. Russia's fertility rate is 1.5. Which not only will be worsened through war, but for lack of men.

And of course there's the fact that even if Russia does triumph over Ukraine, the costs of administering it will be huge. Chechnya, a nation of 1 million people, costs Russia 3.8 billions US dollars per year to govern. Ukraine's population is 40 times that. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, placeholder said:

You think in the way of the real world? Aren't you the party who says Russia is playing chess and gleefully sacrificing pieces and treasure to no discernible advantage? Looks like the reality you're living in is virtual.

Yes. 

1 hour ago, Kwasaki said:

I don't have to answer your questions on points I make.

Have you anything to add to the thread that will stop the war.

My questions were to indicate how ridiculous your post was.  I think most people understood that. 

Immediate surrender, as some suggest, would stop the current war but reward Russia for its illegal invasion and lead to more wars.  Supplying Ukraine with the weapons and other support necessary to make the war unbearably expensive for Russia is the long-term solution. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, heybruce said:

My questions were to indicate how ridiculous your post was.  I think most people understood that. 

Immediate surrender, as some suggest, would stop the current war but reward Russia for its illegal invasion and lead to more wars.  Supplying Ukraine with the weapons and other support necessary to make the war unbearably expensive for Russia is the long-term solution. 

I disagree.

• Confused 1

16 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes. 

More chess moves:

Putin purges more than 100 FSB agents in apparent retaliation amid Ukraine invasion quagmire

Russia's invasion of Ukraine appears not to be going according to plan, and President Vladimir Putin seems intent on blaming his old colleagues at the Federal Security Bureau (FSB) – the intelligence agency successor to the KGB – for the quagmire.

Putin reportedly purged more than 100 agents from the FSB, and his government sent the head of the department responsible for Ukraine to prison.

About 150 FSB officers have been dismissed, The Times of London reported Monday.

https://news.yahoo.com/putin-purges-more-100-fsb-043240239.html

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, Churchill should have avoided confrontation and let themselves sort it out between themselves , no need to get involved in other peoples wars

Earlier, you claimed that most German people didn't have a clue about the death camps. Hmmm...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placeholder said:

Earlier, you claimed that most German people didn't have a clue about the death camps. Hmmm...

That may have been true since the US Army did force many civilians to visit the death camps at the end of the war.

9 hours ago, Kwasaki said:

Yes. 

You disagree that surrender would lead to more wars of aggression started by Putin?  Why is that?  Do you think Putin is at heart a peace loving man who respects the borders of Russia's neighbors?

7 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Yes, Churchill should have avoided confrontation and let themselves sort it out between themselves , no need to get involved in other peoples wars

You think nations should not get into defensive alliances?  Russia has shown what happens to nations outside of defensive alliances.

• Like 1