Ukraine invasion: crashing Russian rouble, sanctions deal blow to Thailand bid to revive tourism

webfact

1 hour ago, Swiss1960 said:

I assume that the market will soon be flooded with condos from Russians, whos only way to get cash is to liquidate their assets in Thailand. 

I'll take a bet they won't be exchanging the baht they get for rubles.

• Haha 1

If TAT really wants to bolster Russian, Ukrainian and all other nations tourist numbers—I have a novel idea: devalue the Baht 50% or more.  Have a long talk with Bank of Thailand about their bulging reserves.

Edited by Isaan sailor
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, smew said:

1. Shows how self centered the journalist is, but again his is stating the obvious  

2. Russian tourist on the photo has Chinese appearance.

2. Aggression in Ukraine must stop so the world can be'' normal'' again.

To your #2 #2 point:

Not sure how to break the news, but this is normal now.

Fasten your seatbelts as it will be a rough ride for the next 50 years or so. Things will improve after that though. ????????

You'll have to wing it though as I'll be mouldering bones by then.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, wensiensheng said:

If the Thai government is unwilling to denounce an invasion, let alone enact sanctions, I don’t have a shred of sympathy for them. They get what they deserve as far as I am concerned.

Yes, it is Thai citizens who will suffer not “the government”, but it’s up to those citizens to vote to oust their government in sufficient numbers that the result cannot be manipulated.

The government can't be voted out. They re-wrote the constitution to ensure they will always have the backing of the military in parliament.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, smew said:

Russian tourist on the photo has Chinese appearance.

So? 

They do share a border of more than 4,000kms so how would you know the difference in nationality from the people from either side of the border regions?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Look at the UN. All countries make a Statement against Putin. 

Thailand stould make an official Statement as well.

Such important International crisis and the Thai government stays quiet.

Thailand will not make a statement before they know who is winning.

Seen before in history and will happen again.

• Sad 1

That’s a shame not enough backhander money to split …. while women and children are being murdered in Ukraine along with defenders … the world will look at the ones who tried to profit from it 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1.5 million out of 40 million; still some 38.5 million others to work on. Get your act together and stop always blaming anything but your own country and leadership for the dead tourism industry. 

It took you a generation of dual pricing, dirty farang and other explicit welcome statements, "lax" law enforcement to say the least and a bureaucratic mess second to none with your immigration, visa, TM 30, 90 days and whatever else you clowns came up with to absolutely ensure, that longer-staying guests disappeared for good. 

All the others had two years time to visit other places like Mexico, Dominican Republic, Brazil, Senegal - just to name a few - which were open to vaccinated travellers at better, friendlier, funnier and cheaper deals than the promised land of Siam. 

You had a chance after 1987 with "Amazing Thailand" and, true to the tag line, yes, Thailand is amazing indeed in how to professionally kill the goose which laid nothing but golden eggs. Serves you right! 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, petermik said:

TAT will adjust it`s estimated arrivals upwards to compensate.....????

Soon Russians will think about what to eat, where to get bread,, what Thailand travel are you talking about., they will be beggars in a few months. 

• Thanks 1