Thailand reports 23,618 new COVID-19 cases, 49 deaths, 18,939 recoveries

webfact

COV3.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (March 3) reported 23,618 new COVID-19 cases, 18,939 recoveries and 49 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 2,958,162 with 23,070 deaths.

The news comes as sixteen of the 96 Thai evacuees from Ukraine, who arrived in Bangkok yesterday, have tested positive for COVID-19 and are now isolated at the quarantine centre at Bamrasnaradura Infectious Diseases Institute in Nonthaburi province, according to the Ministry of Public Health.

Of the first group of 38, who arrived this morning at Suvarnabhumi international airport, three were found to be infected. Thirteen others among the second group of 58, who arrived this afternoon, have also tested positive for the virus.

*Thai PBS contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update3MAR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-03

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

15 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

If you had flu like symptoms would you even bother with a rapid test and if positive would you bother reporting it.

No offense meant towards the helpful members posting daily figures, however the reported positives is small fraction of daily positive numbers. 

Personally, yes I would test because if I had it then I would want to isolate but I wouldn't want to isolate for no reason.

But if it was positive, no I would not report it for fear of being carted off to a hospitel at my own expense. If I was Thai, I'd be more likely to report it since I'd be less likely to be fleeced.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Personally, yes I would test because if I had it then I would want to isolate but I wouldn't want to isolate for no reason

Thinking that's the sensible thing to do, however not everyone can isolate. Especially Thai living in group situation be that family or otherwise..

• Like 1

Thailand has ”all of March” to avoid new Covid restrictions

Thailand’s central government and public health agencies all over the country have to contain the latest Covid-19 by the end of the month if it wants to avoid further restrictions and a possible shutdown, a senior health advisor to the government told Thai Enquirer on Thursday.

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38141/thailand-has-all-of-march-to-avoid-a-new-covid-restrictions/

• Thanks 1

Record high COVID-19 cases using antigen tests reported in Thailand on Thursday

New COVID-19 infections in the past 24 hours reached a new high of 42,138 using rapid antigen tests and 23,618 using RT-PCR tests, according to the COVID-19 Information Centre and Disease Control Department.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/record-high-covid-19-cases-using-antigen-tests-reported-in-thailand-on-thursday/

• Like 1

After pausing some over the weekend, Thailand's daily tallies on its Omicron COVID pandemic continued to set record highs for the year on Thursday, with new deaths, total patients under care, serious condition patients in hospital and total positive ATK tests all reaching their highest levels of 2022.

Daily new COVID deaths continued their slow, steady daily upward climb to 49. Serious condition COVID patients in hospital increased from 1,094 to 1,131 for the most recent day, as did COVID patients requiring intubation to breathe, who rose from 310 to 325 for the most recent day.

The total count of official new COVID cases increased to 23,618, but remained below the 25,615 peak set on Feb. 26. However, the unofficial cases count reflected in new positive ATK cases more than doubled day-over-day to 42,138. And that pushed the combined tally of official and unofficial new cases to a new record high for the year of 65,756.

The total number of current COVID cases in Thailand considered "under care" also continued its steady upward climb to a new yearly record of 223,414. That included 79,412 COVID cases in regular hospitals, which remained below the prior peak, and a new record high 144,002 COVID cases in alternate settings such as hospitels, home and community care.

With Thursday's update, today's daily count of official new COVID cases (23,618) once again bounced above the prior high set last fall during the Delta wave of 23,418 official cases.

1005391494_Daily2022-03-03a.jpg.0639a6fd54d8d260adb3fcb0b73972b1.jpg

RED color denotes record high numbers for 2022.

1255146053_Daily2022-03-03b.jpg.0459f5cd3dafd26f1fd4646ae3046f51.jpg

RED color denotes record high numbers for 2022.

550257125_Dash2022-03-03.jpg.ca2b0aabff23c68a78f35fa2e394b313.jpg

https://ddc.moph.go.th/covid19-dashboard/?dashboard=main

For added context, during the peak of the Delta wave last fall, Thailand's daily COVID case count topped out at 23,418, but the numbers of serious hospital cases and intubated patients peaked above 5,600 and 1,100 respectively, and daily deaths topped 300 for a brief period.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, mommysboy said:

For added context, imo official covid statistics, particularly in Thailand, should be taken with a very, very large pinch of salt.

Yes, in general, here in Thailand and elsewhere, the official stats are a considerable undercount to what's really occurring.

47 minutes ago, hotandsticky said:

Except for the deaths.

Actually, official COVID death counts, here in Thailand and elsewhere, are also widely considered a significant undercount. Because, not every death has a COVID test or autopsy done to determine the actual cause. Especially in Thailand, some people just die at home without being hospitalized/treated and then are cremated, period.

Both here in Thailand and in other countries, the tracked numbers of excess deaths during the pandemic has greatly exceeded the official COVID death counts that have been recorded.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With today's update, the current numbers of COVID cases hospitalized in serious condition and those requiring intubation to breathe have both more than DOUBLED since start of the year, e.g., the past two months.

COVID Serious Condition:

Jan. 4 -- 555

March 3 -- 1,131

COVID Intubated:

Jan. 4 -- 151

March 3 -- 325

Daily COVID deaths have increased four-fold:

Jan. 4 -- 12

March 3 -- 49

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Now we are following the trend with a sharp increase from 226 cases yesterday.

Health officials on Thursday (Mar 3) reported 337 new COVID-19 cases in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, of which 43 cases were found in Hua Hin.

Elsewhere in the province, 41 cases were found in Pranburi, 28 cases in Sam Roi Yot, 0 cases in Kuiburi, 55 cases in Thap Sakae, 9 cases in Bang Saphan, 32 cases in Bang Saphan Noi, and 79 cases in Mueang Prachuap Khiri Khan.

No new COVID-19 related deaths were reported in the province today.

https://www.huahintoday.com/hua-hin-news/mar-3-prachuap-reports-337-new-covid-19-cases-43-cases-in-hua-hin/

• Like 1

Almost 66,000 positives reported today.

And still there are only around 200 ( 226 ) Infections within the Prison system.

Just how are they keeping Covid out of the Prisons.

However it is being managed, that is all that needs to be applied to the entire Country

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Bkk Brian said:

Thanks, useful stats but also sad that there are still so many unvaccinated elderly here in Thailand. The majority of those deaths could have been avoided

With Thailand rapidly reaching the point of an Ageing Society, maybe they possibly do not want to avoid too many deaths

A very sinister and dark thought that I really hope is not realized.

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Actually, official COVID death counts, here in Thailand and elsewhere, are also widely considered a significant undercount. Because, not every death has a COVID test or autopsy done to determine the actual cause. Especially in Thailand, some people just die at home without being hospitalized/treated and then are cremated, period.

Both here in Thailand and in other countries, the tracked numbers of excess deaths during the pandemic has greatly exceeded the official COVID death counts that have been recorded.

I think that's correct although it's likely to be more nuanced than that. 

However, when we look back at figures it's mostly concerned with previous variants, which are much more likely to be a salient feature than with Omicron.  I don't know, but let's wait and see.

As I and others have said many times before: Omicron is a game changer.  It mainly kills the very old and vulnerable, and this is where we need to concentrate our efforts.

11 hours ago, JonnyF said:

Wow. Weird how the number of rapid tests suddenly rocketed after hovering at around the 20k mark for a while.

I wonder if more people are reporting them now since they can home isolate, or whether the government is now releasing the real figures to support upcoming restrictions? Because staying extremely consistent for 6 days and then doubling overnight seems unrealistic.

When omicron hit the UK and most of Europe the numbers skyrocketed day after day. Numbers fell in Europe generally much faster than in the UK because of the UK's feeble adherence to restrictions.

Edited by Fairynuff
Typo

COVID-19: Thailand reports 23,834 new coronavirus cases, 54 deaths, 19,351 recoveries

COV4Mar.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Friday (March 4) reported 23,834 new COVID-19 cases, 19,351 recoveries and 54 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Full story: https://aseannow.com/topic/1252255-covid-19 thailand-reports-23834-new-coronavirus-cases-54-deaths-19351-recoveries/

//CLOSED//

/Admin