Don’t park in front of my Bar!!!

Only an aside....but I was walking along a street in Moscow. Parking space was at a premium, yet we came across a stretch of road with about ten empty bays.

I asked the girl I was with, how come?

She explained the restaurant was owned by their local mafia. You could only park there if you came with a party of at least four to eat.

Locally, if a vendor asked me to move so he can set up, I would move since I know he paid for the spot (they pay more for outside of schools, hospitals etc.). Some places that look like they may get a lot of loading and unloading traffic is best to avoid, you may get locked in by a delivery truck. I will park almost anywhere if I know it will be a short stop. Anything longer we will usually ask if there is some doubt. Rarely told not to do so with reason. A bar? I would want to know the reason.

Short story

Back in the States this time around, I would go to this coffee shop in the morning and study my Thai and Spanish. I usually wore headphones. There was a little table for two away from the main area that I could get since I came in so early. One day a guy came in and asked if he could sit in the other chair. I said "sure, go ahead". A few days later the same guy comes in asks again. Again I said "sure". Then one day, he came in and asked, but I told him "no" that I had a friend that was coming in shortly. He stomped off saying "I don't think you can reserve seats here!". The next day, he comes in and sits but doesn't ask. The same the next day. The third day, I unplugged my headset and turned the volume up. He got up and told me I was very annoying and left.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Locally, if a vendor asked me to move so he can set up, I would move since I know he paid for the spot (they pay more for outside of schools, hospitals etc.). Some places that look like they may get a lot of loading and unloading traffic is best to avoid, you may get locked in by a delivery truck. I will park almost anywhere if I know it will be a short stop. Anything longer we will usually ask if there is some doubt. Rarely told not to do so with reason. A bar? I would want to know the reason.

Short story

Back in the States this time around, I would go to this coffee shop in the morning and study my Thai and Spanish. I usually wore headphones. There was a little table for two away from the main area that I could get since I came in so early. One day a guy came in and asked if he could sit in the other chair. I said "sure, go ahead". A few days later the same guy comes in asks again. Again I said "sure". Then one day, he came in and asked, but I told him "no" that I had a friend that was coming in shortly. He stomped off saying "I don't think you can reserve seats here!". The next day, he comes in and sits but doesn't ask. The same the next day. The third day, I unplugged my headset and turned the volume up. He got up and told me I was very annoying and left.

Nowt as queer as folk.

I remember what must have been more than 10 years ago when I lived in Hua Hin there were problems with Indian owned shops , the ones that sold suits etc.  We learnt to park nearby but if trying to park outside their shop they went off on one.  Don't know if they are still there as not been to H/H in donkeys years.

2 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

Short story

Must be something about entitled people looking to be offended. Many years ago I went to see a well known poet giving a session in the theatre hall, and an American asked if he could sit at my table. I was on my own so said yes. We were making small talk to pass the time, and I made a completely inoffensive comment about something to which he flew into a rage and started abusing me. Some very strange people around!

Unfortunately I couldn't tell him to go away but it made for an awkward time till it was over.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

That must reduce your options then!

Plenty of considerate vendors out there.  If you are going to block the walkways with your wares, then I bother with you.

If the walkway is wide enough, and say, a restaurant puts small table & chairs, for 2, for those wanting to see life stroll by, while smell sewers & exhaust, that's fine, as long as enough room to walk by for others.  Or vendor puts out small display or 'special discounted' items, and again, not taking up the majority of the walkway, then fine.  

Best thing that ever happen in Krung Thep was moving the walkway vendors on lower Sukhomvit & Ploenchit rds.

Those that think they own the public street in front of their shop certainly don't complain about their customers parking in front of other vendors.  If they were to adhere to that rule, they'd limit themselves to 1 or 2 cars worth of customers.  Or 5 ish MBs, and kind of silly.

I don't visit a lot of vendors, simply because there is no parking, and surprised how some even survive, though many don't.  High traffic tourist areas maybe, which I'm rarely at.

Make me walk single file pass your shop, or force me off the walkway, there is no need for me to even look at your shop, as I'm preoccupied with my walking safety.

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 3:44 AM, Grecian said:

You don't get it do you.

There's nothing "wrong" with you picking up your kid from school.

There's nothing "wrong" with a working class Thai trying to make a living pitching up at the same place they always do.

what's wrong is your "I don't give a <deleted>" attitude and aggressive nature. If you prefer that way of dealing with things why did you leave the west?

A timely reminder of why he's on  my 'ignore user' list.

• Like 1

In the village i lived before, one of those gated ones people considered the space in front of their house theirs. Lots of problems about parking. 

This is just how Thailand is and as a foreigner it stupid to try to chanhe it. Let Thais do it. Most people dont like outsiders changing things. So why so suprised that Thais take more offence when a foreigner does it.

I just avoid risks like that, that is why i like my motorbike more then my car. Because of parking.

10 minutes ago, EdrigoSalvadore said:

My friend parked outside a restaurant in Pattaya last week, and they stole his helmet as punishment.

In Pattaya they should just have forced him to eat in the restaurant - punishment enough ???? 

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

And that's where I stopped. ahahaha

Oh, how satisfying it must be to a cultural rejectionist.

Sam Hunt ( the poet I went to see ) is a great NZ character, much loved and cherished, who gives more of a performance than a poetry reading.

However, wrap yourself in whatever assumptions you may have about poets and don't go to hear them. More room for those that do appreciate it.

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Moo Ping ....... nowhere else to buy it.

The longer I live here, the less I eat street food, almost nothing now I have to admit. I still eat Thai food, but have to admit I eat Europeen food when I can, and home my gf cook Europeen food at least 3-4 times a week.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Sam Hunt ( the poet I went to see ) is a great NZ character, much loved and cherished, who gives more of a performance than a poetry reading.

However, wrap yourself in whatever assumptions you may have about poets and don't go to hear them. More room for those that do appreciate it.

Getting a bit off the Parking topic. But I knew that poet's brother Mike !    LOL

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

If I Have got it right---

--Seems to be 2 different arguments here--- the OP is posting about a bar... A permanent structure built with street frontage.  Other posters are talking about "Street Traders"  that pack up and go home every night.

I have sympathy for the street trader, Done markets etc myself. But someone who buys/rents a building (with a bar or not) doesn't own the street in front........

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, sanuk711 said:

If I Have got it right---

--Seems to be 2 different arguments here--- the OP is posting about a bar... A permanent structure built with street frontage.  Other posters are talking about "Street Traders"  that pack up and go home every night.

I have sympathy for the street trader, Done markets etc myself. But someone who buys/rents a building (with a bar or not) doesn't own the street in front........

I may have had to raise this with you before, I can't remember, but you really must not go around introducing reason and concepts such as sympathy into these discussions!

It disturbs some people's sense of entitlement, and can lead to great distress!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Written in rhyme that would have been a great response....555. (I do know poetry is not about rhymes).

18 hours ago, Led Lolly Yellow Lolly said:

Wow, I must be doing something right to be on people's ignore lists!

Takes all kinds, wearing an ignore as a badge of honor.

What would it take for you to ignore someone?

2 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Written in rhyme that would have been a great response....555. (I do know poetry is not about rhymes).

While I don't know all of Sam's poetry, the ones I've read don't seem to do much rhyming. They're on the internet for those interested.

I was lucky enough to see him orate in Wellington way back in the late 70s or early 80s and have one of his books signed by him.

To add something on topic, I reckon money would exchange hands for a street food hawker to operate from a certain location and if anyone was to deny that space they might regret it.

Same with regards to parking m'bikes on a public road in a town, There is usually someone collecting money to allow your m'bike to remain in one piece.

Edited by thaibeachlovers