Motorists in Thailand urged not to fall for driver’s license application scam

webfact

man-holding-thai-ID-696x464.jpg

file photo

By Online Reporter

Motorists in Thailand are advised to only apply for a driver’s license at a Department of Land Transport (DLT) office in order to avoid being duped by scammers.

The DLT says that to apply for a driver’s license, the applicant must attend one of its offices to submit the application in person.

The applicant will be required to submit the necessary documents, including photographs, as well as pass a physical, written and driving test.

The warning comes following an increase in incidents where scammers claim to be able to obtain a driver’s license without the need to undergo the testing or examinations required to be granted a license in Thailand.

Full story: https://www.huahintoday.com/thailand-news/motorists-in-thailand-urged-not-to-fall-for-drivers-license-application-scam/

huahintoday-logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Hua Hin Today 2022-03-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, webfact said:

Motorists in Thailand are advised to only apply for a driver’s license at a Department of Land Transport (DLT) office in order to avoid being duped by scammers.

Just be happy to be duped by the DLT office.

• Haha 2

Only after reading the full article I understand the scam.

Thinking the service is legitimate, the victim transfers the money in full to the scammer, who is not to be heard from again.

Serves them right as they quite likely knew what kind of business that would be.

So we can rest assured that no drivers with fake license are on the road :cheesy:

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

The Thai driving licence is just a piece of worthless plastic. Unlike what any normal driver (from civilised countries) feels about one from home... which is something to be proud of and respect (not wanna lose).

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, mikebell said:

The DLT office outside of Pattaya is a racist, unwelcoming, unhelpful example of all that is wrong with Thai (un)Civil service.

Never found them anything else than helpful and accommodating whilst doing a difficult job during the pandemic

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, 2long said:

The Thai driving licence is just a piece of worthless plastic. Unlike what any normal driver (from civilised countries) feels about one from home... which is something to be proud of and respect (not wanna lose).

Not true at all!

The last time I visited the Pattaya aquarium it gave me 50% discount. ????

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, chilly07 said:

Never found them anything else than helpful and accommodating whilst doing a difficult job during the pandemic

So you never had to stand in a farang queue and watch the Thai queue file in before you despite being there an hour before them?  You obviously had a competent Thai speaker with you; I didn't and the guy behind the entrance counter could barely contain his repugnance and threw forms at me most of which were unneeded.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2022 at 12:34 PM, big dendrobenaes said:

there are thousads of them on the road....illegally

Their Country. Their Culture. Protect YourSELF at all Times. If deciding to drive here get Licensed / Insured / Practice Extreme Defensive Driving.

13 hours ago, tingtong said:

Not true at all!

The last time I visited the Pattaya aquarium it gave me 50% discount. ????

Yes. Actually the MOST Useful ID here. Accepted Everywhere. Hotels, Airlines, Banks, Hospitals etc. Passport needed only for Property & Imm. matters. My Thai Pink ID Rejected Everywhere ( except Attractions, not used).

Also legalizes your driving & vehicle insurance here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

So you never had to stand in a farang queue and watch the Thai queue file in before you despite being there an hour before them?  You obviously had a competent Thai speaker with you; I didn't and the guy behind the entrance counter could barely contain his repugnance and threw forms at me most of which were unneeded.

I do NOT get messed around here.

Walk Away or Use Agent. Would certainly not accept segregated lines anywhere except for common decency like Elderly or Family.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:23 PM, RafPinto said:

Please do the right thing.
Go and look the 1 hour long video. New will be the 12 minutes education about what zebra crossings are for.

Requires Anyway to get 1st DLT License. Hardly going to teach me anything about Road Rules or Safety. Following the official traffic rules will eventually get you killed.

On 3/5/2022 at 12:24 PM, 2long said:

Worthless? that depends where you live I guess, it is much more valuable than the one back home if spending long times around SE asia. Not only for driving purposes either within Thailand as described by another poster before. It's almost like a ID card here.

The one I have from back home is not even renewed as I can only use it for 90 days on a fresh International arrival.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

40 minutes ago, TropicalGuy said:

I do NOT get messed around here.

Walk Away or Use Agent. Would certainly not accept segregated lines anywhere except for common decency like Elderly or Family.

There are valid reason for 'segregated' queue like there being limited number of staff who can communicate with you in English, would explain why the line's slower too

12 minutes ago, digbeth said:

There are valid reason for 'segregated' queue like there being limited number of staff who can communicate with you in English, would explain why the line's slower too

Can believe it ….. just never seen it ….except border entry everywhere 

8 hours ago, mikebell said:

No Never. DLT or Anywhere Else here. Except Border Entry of course.

At 1st sign of such poor treatment would leave & get DLT or Imm Agent. Problem is farang living in Pattaya is not respected by anyone unlike say Phuket.

• Haha 1

On 3/5/2022 at 10:21 AM, mikebell said:

The DLT office outside of Pattaya is a racist, unwelcoming, unhelpful example of all that is wrong with Thai (un)Civil service.

I did not have that experience personally, couple of helpful English speaking girls at the entrance sorted me.. from then on simply queuing and waiting, same as the locals. Perhaps you are confusing with immigration?

24 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I did not have that experience personally, couple of helpful English speaking girls at the entrance sorted me.. from then on simply queuing and waiting, same as the locals. Perhaps you are confusing with immigration?

I confess it's a couple of years since my last visit so maybe they've smartened their act up?

On 3/5/2022 at 10:21 AM, mikebell said:

My experience of Pattaya DLT is the exact opposite to that, if you think Pattaya is bad you should try Rayong ???? 

12 minutes ago, mickyr55 said:

My experience of Pattaya DLT is the exact opposite to that, if you think Pattaya is bad you should try Rayong ???? 

What's wrong with the DLT in Rayong?  I've had good reports (I'm moving there next month).

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

I confess it's a couple of years since my last visit so maybe they've smartened their act up?

It is for me too...so they could have made a mess of things since....