Doctors Say 20 Million Thais Afflicted by Metabolic Syndrome

webfact

12 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Sugar is carbs and your body wants carbs, sad that people are frightened of sugar and carbs. I eat all the time, whenever hungry, no need for starvation or fad diets

I should have been more clear. I was talking about table sugar and added sugars. Not natural sugars in fruits ect. I dont fear carbs i eat them though mainly complex ones.

2 minutes ago, robblok said:

These are not table sugars. That basically was my point. Natural sugars that have added nutrients are ok. Normal white sugar not so much.

But as you never made it clear what suger was good for you i just assumed the worst. My mistake.

People get very animated about white table sugar and will do their best to find an alternative, brown, honey whatever, wasting your time and money, white sugar is fine, basically they are all the same, all carbs. Don't be frightened of white sugar

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

People get very animated about white table sugar and will do their best to find an alternative, brown, honey whatever, wasting your time and money, white sugar is fine, basically they are all the same, all carbs. Don't be frightened of white sugar

Not frightened of it but they are empty calories. No extra nutrients or vitamins. So basically useless.

And yes energy wise its the same.

1 minute ago, robblok said:

Not frightened of it but they are empty calories. No extra nutrients or vitamins. So basically useless.

I find sugar useful, i have it on various food and drinks, good for energy. This wild goose chase of nutrients and vitamins won't necessarily make you healthier can still get obese easy enough if not doing the right things

Just now, scubascuba3 said:

I find sugar useful, i have it on various food and drinks, good for energy. This wild goose chase of nutrients and vitamins won't necessarily make you healthier can still get obese easy enough if not doing the right things

Depends on your goals if you extend a lot of energy like you then sure. If you want to get lean then you create a caloric seicit and then that kind of stuff is useless.

So it really depends and most people would be better off dropping sugar.

So it really depends what your goals are and your activity level.

For normal people its useless for your kind (cycling a lot) it can be useful. For me right now still useless.

14 hours ago, itsari said:

Many ways to keep fit without working out . One needs to increase the heart rate to do any good for your self . We all know what can do that .

Ingredients of food is just media hype causing paranoia amongst the masses . 

Total nonsense. A bit like saying we can use molasses to power an F1 car, instead of high octane fuel. If you do not think the quality of ingredients and saturated fats affects your body, causes disease, and leads to cancer and other maladies, you need to continue your nutritional studies. If you think a product made with sunflower oil is not superior to a product made with soybean, cottonseed, or palm oil is superior, and better for your body, than it is safe to say we disagree. Ingredients of foods is not only important, it is critical to maintaining one's health, and not paying attention to what we eat, and the quality of foods we purchase is taking alot for granted. 

The masses SHOULD be paranoid about food. There is so much junk food out there, it boggles the mind. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, robblok said:

Energy & mood stimulant about the only benefit to white.  Plus it does mix better in some recipes.  Moderation is the key, and if a wee bit excess ingested, then simply burn it off before stored as fat.  Calorie wise it's only 16gr per tsp, I think.  Though try to spread it out, don't eat the whole pie in one sitting, give your pancreas a break.  

Not a fan of soft drinks, so avoid most of the 'danger' foods.  Do enjoy my pastries though, and hopefully the sugar actually digests a bit slower in the stomach with them.  Don't really trust the 'diet sugar' alternatives, as they seem to find something wrong with them down the line, after long term use.  Even more harmful.

Natural sugar & honey as sweeteners, probably helps a wee bit.   For those 'juicing', eat your fruits, and juice your veggies, as you'll waste the fruit fiber, and get a sugar fix by drinking fruit juice, and a bit counter productive.  So not really that much better, as passing through your stomach.

Moderation & burn off the excess intake.  Get off the barstool, less sugar from alcohol drinking, exercise that sugar away, and build that immune system with exercise & free Vit D, even if it's just walking.  Add intermittent fasting, and burn some while sleeping.  Doesn't get any easier than that.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JackGats said:

Sugar in every kind of food or drink.

Sugar kills way more people than hard drugs, not just in Thailand. But it doesn't make people high and horny in the same way, so I guess it's ok.

When you say sugar, expand, explain?

43 minutes ago, robblok said:

Depends on your goals if you extend a lot of energy like you then sure. If you want to get lean then you create a caloric seicit and then that kind of stuff is useless.

So it really depends and most people would be better off dropping sugar.

So it really depends what your goals are and your activity level.

For normal people its useless for your kind (cycling a lot) it can be useful. For me right now still useless.

Wrong assumption that you need to be exercising a lot to have sugar, if you look up durianrider him and his gf basically live off sugar and they don't do much exercise

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, scubascuba3 said:

Wrong assumption that you need to be exercising a lot to have sugar, if you look up durianrider him and his gf basically live off sugar and they don't do much exercise

I think your reading things that I am not saying.

If your goals is to lose weight (like many people) then using white sugar is a waste of calories.

Living off sugar is bad as you don't get enough other nutrients.  But again it depends on what kind of sugar. For now I am talking about white sugar. Not sugar from fruits and so on.

If you want to lose weight you limit calories (how much really depends on your genetic luck some have a much higher metabolic rate then others) But if you need to limit it a lot it makes sense to make sure that the calories you do consume to have other nutrients. 

That is what I am saying and its a grey area really dependent on many things. Its just not black and white there is a lot of context to it.

17 minutes ago, robblok said:

I think your reading things that I am not saying.

If your goals is to lose weight (like many people) then using white sugar is a waste of calories.

Living off sugar is bad as you don't get enough other nutrients.  But again it depends on what kind of sugar. For now I am talking about white sugar. Not sugar from fruits and so on.

If you want to lose weight you limit calories (how much really depends on your genetic luck some have a much higher metabolic rate then others) But if you need to limit it a lot it makes sense to make sure that the calories you do consume to have other nutrients. 

That is what I am saying and its a grey area really dependent on many things. Its just not black and white there is a lot of context to it.

Most of that i don't agree with but you'd need to watch lots of videos to understand which isn't going to happen. One thing I'll mention, calories in vs calories out is a myth also, not all calories are the same, but again without educating yourself on those videos you're not going to see it, so lets leave it there

15 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Most of that i don't agree with but you'd need to watch lots of videos to understand which isn't going to happen. One thing I'll mention, calories in vs calories out is a myth also, not all calories are the same, but again without educating yourself on those videos you're not going to see it, so lets leave it there

I guess we don't agree then and if you don't believe in calories out vs calories in its you who needs to educate himself. (99% of scientists agree about calories out vs calories in).

Just some vocal idiots and lot of health magazines that parrot those views while a meta-analysis of weight studies in laboratory setting has proved that calories in vs calories out works. So I guess we don't have much to discuss.

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/calories-in-calories-out#nutrient-density

Edited by robblok

I think a lot of people forget about genetics, that does not mean people are destined to stay fat. Its just that some have to put in more effort. In all other parts we accept that genetics plays a role.

It plays a role in how smart we are, how fast we can cycle (otherwise everyone would be able to do what Lance Armstrong did if they put in enough effort) or everyone could be as big as Swarzenegger if they put in enough hours in the gym. Both used steroids but even without those they would outperform most others. 

If you ever trained in a gym with a friend and you both put in the same effort you would still see that there would be differences in how muscles develop and how strong or fast people get. Its not just effort its also your genes. 

If you look at diet studies some people really do well on low carb while others do well on high carbs. Even among the low carb group there are huge differences same goes for high carbs. Those studies were done in a labratory so food was prepared for them and weighed (not self reported but real in house studies). So that is the gold standard. It really comes down to genetics. 

That said everyone could lose weight and gain muscle it was just easier for some and some got far more results. I read countless scientific studies and read meta analysis and in the end a calorie is a calorie (if you not eat processed food) on avarge. But like i said some did better on low carb other high carb ect. So there is also part individuality.

But basically everyone who ditches most of the processed foods and eats better can get to a healthy weight. 

here the twinkie diet is a good example on how calories matter (not that its healthy or a good thing to do)

https://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

Edited by robblok

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

It might help if they had a park to exercise in in Pattaya. Walking along broken pavements dodging Grab taxis is no fun.

Dodging Grab junk food delivery motorcycles....another reason junk food is a danger to you.

2 hours ago, Henryford said:

It might help if they had a park to exercise in in Pattaya. Walking along broken pavements dodging Grab taxis is no fun.

There is Pratumnak park and mountain loop, many Thais go there morning and evening, of course there needs to be more

3 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

Total nonsense. A bit like saying we can use molasses to power an F1 car, instead of high octane fuel. If you do not think the quality of ingredients and saturated fats affects your body, causes disease, and leads to cancer and other maladies, you need to continue your nutritional studies. If you think a product made with sunflower oil is not superior to a product made with soybean, cottonseed, or palm oil is superior, and better for your body, than it is safe to say we disagree. Ingredients of foods is not only important, it is critical to maintaining one's health, and not paying attention to what we eat, and the quality of foods we purchase is taking alot for granted. 

The masses SHOULD be paranoid about food. There is so much junk food out there, it boggles the mind. 

If you believe the nonsense you mention how can i argue . 

Every person has a choice .

Stick to what man has been eating for thousands of years and one should not go to far wrong .

1 hour ago, scubascuba3 said:

There is Pratumnak park and mountain loop, many Thais go there morning and evening, of course there needs to be more

I guess the 2.5 kms of surf isn't enough for Henry to stroll for exercise.  

No excuse not to exercise.  Could even walk around in AC comfort at Central Plaza, I'm sure many do, before it officially opens ... no weather excuse there.

image.png.40f3b6eb99dd014906b927cc7f337f1b.png

Edited by KhunLA

1 hour ago, itsari said:

Stick to what man has been eating for thousands of years and one should not go to far wrong .

Again, you are missing the point. Do you really think highly processed foods have been eaten for 1000's of years? Even 100 years ago people ate far healthier food than they do now. 

Denying big ag and highly processed food has had an influence on people's health, is as sensible as saying there is no connection between the explosion of fast food in Thailand and the rapid growth of fatness here. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, itsari said:

Where do I get these mammoth steaks and fried rats?

2 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Where do I get these mammoth steaks and fried rats?

Our ancestors mostly fed on fruit and nuts with the occasional meat dish when they got lucky .

Does that help ?

3 minutes ago, itsari said:

Our ancestors mostly fed on fruit and nuts with the occasional meat dish when they got lucky .

Does that help ?

Surprising... the human body has developed to digest fats and meat....also marine protein. Depends which ancestors you look closely at. Versatility of diet has been the reason for human success. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Surprising... the human body has developed to digest fats and meat....also marine protein. Depends which ancestors you look closely at. Versatility of diet has been the reason for human success.

I am quoting dietitians comments on when they are asked what should I eat .

Our stomachs have evolved over a long time . Only in recent history have we changed our diet .

19 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Oh you mean the few square metres of green at a top of a hill. They only left that because it's too steep to build on.