Government to Offer Aid and Visa Services to Tourists

webfact

they are not doing anything for free, not here, they are working hard in getting the cash flow in and looking at the Chinese to help them cashing in, it sounded to good to be true, no freebees in Thailand

https://www.thaienquirer.com/38323/thailand-to-fix-credit-card-payment-issues-provide-shelter-for-russian-and-ukrainian-tourists/

Thai authorities are seeking alternative options such as the Chinese payment network UnionPay, as well as cryptocurrencies.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

A difficult time for all those involved, I'm sure most Russians are against what Putin has just done... 

with all the sanctions in place and more to follow they will eventually go back to a very cold Russia.

And I'm not talking about the climate.

as I see it and speaking with 4-5 Russians, they don't want to go back, afraid they will be enlisted

4 hours ago, Danny Australia said:

If true, it would be the first time I hear of such a thing by a Thai government towards tourists and would be incredibly humane and compassionate gesture.

Your right first time … Must be money in it  for Gov officials somewhere …. It will all come out in future

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, smedly said:

why have Russia stopped flights to Thailand or have have they

I see no reason preventing Russians leaving, maybe it is case of selfish Thailand wanting them to stay a spend money

They are leasing the planes and the owners of the planes are following international  sanctions so there are no planes for them.   The Russian government  doesnt own the aircraft.  

4 hours ago, Excel said:

I suspect you weren't around when many countries gave Nazis and the German people the benefit of the doubt also. History does repeat itself unfortunately.

Your suspicion would not be wrong.

5 hours ago, smedly said:

why have Russia stopped flights to Thailand or have have they

Their aircraft are subject to confiscation.  Most of the aircraft are leased, and those leases are in countries that have economically sanctioned Russia and the leases made invalid.

A secondary factor is the plunge in the value of the Ruble.  Even if the planes could operate, can they pay for fuel, maintenance & routine operating costs in countries to which they would fly?

7 hours ago, webfact said:

working with China’s UnionPay

Oh dear, grief as I remember several years ago when Bangkok Bank withdrew VISA debit cards in favor of the Chinese UP! I experienced so much hassle trying to withdraw cash from ATM's in surrounding countries and in the UK. Bangkok Bank got so many complaints they introduced MASTERCARD debit cards as an alternative and I still possess a valid one to this day but I bet I cannot withdraw the few baht left in the account, probably marked as closed. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, IAMHERE said:

Wouldn't it take cash or credit cards. Credit cards are part of the banking system Russia is shut out of. Many Russians are gonna have a hard time when their cash on hand runs out in Thailand.

Many Russians have used Union Pay since 2017

6 hours ago, PumpkinEater said:

Help the Ukrainian folks for sure…but the Russians?! Cmon!

They can surely catch a flight back to Moscow through Qatar or Dubai onward… 

They can't if their credit cards have been cancelled and many have.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

They can't if their credit cards have been cancelled and many have.

This is their problem. Let them complain to dictator Putin. If russian don't feel hurt, nothing will change in Russia

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cake Monster said:

In another thread, the Officials on Phuket are trying to work with the BOT to possibly look at ways in which " Bitcoin " and other " Crypto Currencies "may be used for payments by Russian " Entrepreneurs ".

If indeed Thailand are deliberately trying to avoid, or circumnavigate Sanctions placed upon Russia, it will not be looked upon favorably by many other Countries across the Globe.

So Thailand wants to help Russians get around sanctions with China and bitcoin schemes?  Those dictators all like to stick together.  Thailand is playing with fire by going against almost every country on earth in  trying to play games to allow circumvention of sanctions. 

Russia no doubt has piles of gold bars stacked all over the country under Putin's control.  Thai airlines I would guess would be happy to fly several charters of Russians out IF they get paid in gold.  Other than a week or two of humanitarian support with BASIC accommodations and food (which should also be repaid via Russian gold) it is not Thailand's job to feed and house Russians indefinitely.  Maybe it is past time for all the dictators to make a deal.   If Putin doesn't care about bringing his citizens home then don't dump this mess on Thailand.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Excel said:

What !! for the Ukraine's maybe good, but giving help to Russians, well perhaps the Ukrainians here can suggest alternative gestures.

Not all Russians support Putin in this conflict.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

The government of my country has done a bunch of heinous deeds around the world in my lifetime, despite the fact that I've always participated by voting, attending peace and environmental protests, waved signs, signed petitions, and writing letters to my elected representatives.

I suggest we give Russian citizens the benefit of the doubt before assuming they support Putin's war, or had any real opportunity to be effective against it. 

Nato and the Neo Nazis that have been killing thousands of innocent Russian people since 2014 is the reason for this war. 

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Wuvu2 said:

I suggest we give Russian citizens the benefit of the doubt before assuming they support Putin's war, or had any real opportunity to be effective against it. 

Or any real opportunity to know the reality of it.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Excel said:

What !! for the Ukraine's maybe good, but giving help to Russians, well perhaps the Ukrainians here can suggest alternative gestures.

The actions of Putin are not the fault of the average Russian citizens.  

My GF is  1/2 Russian and 1/2 Ukrainian.  If she needed help would she only be eligible for half the help?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Freddy42OZ said:

The actions of Putin are not the fault of the average Russian citizens.  

My GF is  1/2 Russian and 1/2 Ukrainian.  If she needed help would she only be eligible for half the help?

She maybe but what is her passport nationality ? Is she a dual national ? If so I should hope she would rescind her Russian one unless if course she condones what is happening to her people in Ukraine.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 hours ago, vandeventer said:

To be safe put the Russians and Ukraine's on different flights when they leave, just  to be sure.

Perhaps the Russians could be given a free stopover in Kyiv so they can go home to Mother Russia with a few more holiday snaps.

IMO the people came on Holiday and unfortunately beyond their control the conflict broke

out and I’m sure any assistance they’ll appreciate..... I’m American and wouldn’t want to be stranded 

with 30%+ slash in monetary value etc... I’d hope for assistance 

On 3/8/2022 at 2:40 PM, toho said:

A nice gesture, partly.

Ukranians absolutely deserve our empathy. They did not ask Russia to invade their country.

And not every Russian is a fan of war criminal Putin.

But personally I would have told the Russians to find assistance from their own embassy, their diplomats are representatives of their leader Putin; so let these persons handle the consequences: also financially; they can pay for visa extensions themselves.

Is it compassion? Maybe. Or is Putin's Friends-list more important?; all for the money, hoping for instant gratitude and more Russian tourists later.

yes waiver of visa for Ukrainian great gesture..but why russians ? they have cash as far as i see it if russian visitors don't have to pay then why should any other nationality..

• Confused 1

13 hours ago, Adumbration said:

I have a very dear Russian friend that I shared a house a million years ago as a university student.  He is a very intelligent guy and has a doctorate in quantum physics.  I was chatting with him today on Whatsapp.  He referred to Putin as a psychopath.

you've got a clever mate there

• Haha 1