Committee Concludes Thailand Should Buy F-35 Jets From U.S.

snoop1130

27 minutes ago, BayArea said:

I hope this is sarcasm. Viet Nam is the only country in SE Asia in the last 60 plus years with any real combat and war experience and it's not even close. 

Not only that, VN has taken great measures to upgrade her military esp. with the threat of China looming around the corner. 

We are talking about a country that is probably more war prepare than most nations around the world due to its past history. 

Currently, Vietnam’s active-duty military consists of a 412,000-member army, a 42,000-member navy, a 30,000-member air and air defense force, and a 40,000-member paramilitary border defense corps. Vietnam also had a 4-million to 5-million-member paramilitary reserve force, consisting of the People’s Self-Defense Force and the rural People’s Militia.

FYI, it took VN just 2 weeks, 2 freaking weeks to overrun and completely take over Cambodia and ousted the Khmer Rouge in 1978. 

VN is not thai neighbour.

They are equal in military ranking

https://www.globalfirepower.com/countries-comparison-detail.php?country1=vietnam&country2=thailand

6 hours ago, Okis said:

That was my first thought to. The americans certainly are aware of that issue so i'm kinda curious on why they would take such a big risk for such a small unimportant country. 

I'm not a military type... But, in thinking a bit, I do think I seem to remember something in the past about the U.S. having one version of such aircraft that they use for their own U.S. forces and then a somewhat lower-tech version that's sold for export.  So either some or all "allies" might not get exactly the same plane as the U.S. forces are using...

Any U.S. military/Air Force types here have any sense of that?

The bigger question is, would they find the human quality in local pilots to fly these complicated machines? and as one poster said, these are not just a plane, they're a platform of highly advanced technology and weapons Thailand have never seen before...

Wonderful !!!   Let's quit worrying about frivolities like road infrastructure, health care, education, etc. , etc.  We need crowd control, and F-35's will provide quick and efficient means of handling demonstrators.

Of course, a few might run into the ocean.  That's what the submarines are for.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The jets under review included the US-made F35, China’s J-20 and Russia’s SU-57.

That's a tough one for Thailand.. not about what to buy but who not to pee-off.

• Haha 1

Thailand only operates 11 Gripen fighters, one crashed at an air display a few years ago.

No doubt the numpties will buy from their corrupt cronies in peking, as the envelopes will be most generous.

Also, I feel the US won't trust the Thais with their 5th generation technology.

In any case it's all a utter waste of money which could be better used to help Thai business out of the current and continuing economic situation.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andycoops said:

Thailand only operates 11 Gripen fighters, one crashed at an air display a few years ago.

No doubt the numpties will buy from their corrupt cronies in peking, as the envelopes will be most generous.

Also, I feel the US won't trust the Thais with their 5th generation technology.

In any case it's all a utter waste of money which could be better used to help Thai business out of the current and continuing economic situation.

If Thailand only operates 11 Gripen fighters, how is it that an F-16 operated by a Thai pilot just crashed a few days ago?  Did he hotwire it out of Uncle Sam's garage?

• Thanks 1