Teacher assaults primary student because he dared to ask a question

webfact

5 hours ago, BusyB said:

Lucky you ... don't know when you were at school, but where I was sticks and slippers, and beatings till skin broke were fairly common. So was violence against teachers (wonder why?). That was back in the late 60s early 70s in the north east of England. Even I pushed a teacher backwards over a stool, but that was in self-defense as he kept trying to clout me across the face (he was an ex-boxer but I managed to keep blocking him). Then again I was at war with the system. Another story.

And that was a good school - Grammar-Tech.

I'm also from the North East of England and exactly the same happeend to me (late 60's early 70's) a teacher kept continuously hitting me across the back of the head for no real reason so I stood up and hit him. The slipper and the cane were common and some teachers were sadistic bullies After that the same teacher encouraged 'tough' children to hit other children in his class as 'punishment' instead of doing it himself often getting the other kids to pick on me. He acted like one of the bully boys leading the gang who looked up to him and they were his instruments of punishment. I have no fond memories of my school days, it was a time of fear and pain. I got my own back many years later when I saw him in the street. I had grown from a weedy quiet kid to 6ft 3in with a fair bit of muscle. I asked his name to confirm his identity then told him and his companions exactly what he did, I then said "I now know where you live, don't walk alone and keep an eye out behind you". The look of fear bordering terror on his face was incredibly satisfying. I didn't do anything, I'm a fairly law abiding citizen with no tendency to violence but there was an element of closure. My school was an all boys school.

• Like 1

Hmmm….. we cant have thai children asking questions so they actually learn . Better that they remain silent and remain unknowledgeable and therefore more malleable and controllable when they are adults. This is the “education” system in Thailand and has been for decades

6 hours ago, sambum said:

Just Googled "Education in Thailand and got this:-

"The Thai education system is seen by many American Chamber of Commerce member companies as inadequately educating students in two important areas: English and critical thinking. Science, math, and Thai language skills have also recently been dropping to levels below international standards and lower than its neighbors."

OK, it is a report by the American Chamber of Commerce companies, but it is indicative of how the education system in Thailand seems to be deteriorating rather than improving.

PISA Educational tables (a global measure of the critical subjects) is where you can see just how badly thailand is doing 

• Thanks 1

If that were my kid, that teacher would be walking funny now. If there is one thing I can not tolerate, it’s when an adult - especially a teacher, for crying out loud - hits and injures a defenseless child. It takes a special kind of gutless a-hole teacher to beat a 10-year-old pupil. Inexcusable.

• Thanks 1

On 3/9/2022 at 1:53 PM, spidermike007 said:

Without the ability to ask questions at school, question the teachers, the assignments, and the veracity of the lessons taught, there is no hope for the Thai educational system. Teachers like this need to be severely punished. If not by the authorities, than by the parents, or the students. 

Even as adults they don't ask questions here.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, thwo said:

If it was a farang kid I could understand, but it seems to really be what thai kids need to understand anything....

You could understand a bashing a student of any race/background? Really??

Under what circumstances is assault acceptable from a person in authority to a child?

• Like 2

On 3/9/2022 at 2:21 PM, dcsw53 said:

Speaks volumes about the ( lack of ) quality of the education system here.
Teacher should be banned for life as a warning to others that they have a duty to uphold. That is to teach and not molest.
I hope the boy gets over it and gets straight A's in the future.

And the teacher gets a straight jab to the nose.

It was explained to me once that it's not good for the students to ask questions as the teacher might not know the answer and would 'lose face'

Edited by overherebc

18 hours ago, Criticalthinker said:

Same in the west, I remember thinking long ago they don't teach you how to think, only what to think..! The hierarchy have no room for critical thinking, do as you're told and get in line.

We were encouraged to ask questions, offer alternative viewpoints.

One of our teachers, would bring in the daily papers, with stories on many subjects, we were required to read them and offer our viewpoints on them . Articles were sometimes political, some times social justice matters.

A boy in my school who was no good at French got caned by the headmaster a couple of times a months aged 9 for getting less than 17 out of 20 in our weekly French vocab test. We were allowed to re-sit the test in the next lesson but less than 17 in the resit resulted in being sent to the headmaster to request a caning which he always provided with glee. Despite the regular canings the boy's memory for French vocab never improved and he probably got a lifelong hatred of the language. It was purely pointless sadism inflicted by irresponsible teacher perverts, just because they could.  In Thailand they still get away with it. 

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Even as adults they don't ask questions here.

That is quite true. Curiosity has to be encouraged. And taught as kids. My Mom was very curious, and encouraged us to be. I asked my teachers alot of questions, and if one had ever attacked me during class, I likely would have plotted a very nasty revenge, with my fellow students, and it would have likely been the last time they engaged in that sort for cowardly foolishness. Getting kicked out of school would have been the last concern in the world for me, at that age.

I find many do not ask questions, and if they do, they are not the right questions or they don't ask enough questions. I am always encouraging my wife to think like a lawyer, when she is making an inquiry about something. What else is Mike going to ask me about this? What other questions can I ask, while I have this person in front of me, or on the phone? Are larger sizes available? Do you offer any discounts? What is the warranty? Is the service work done in house, or does it have to be sent to Bangkok? At my expense, or yours? How long does the repair take? Things like that. Basic stuff. After all these years, still not getting those answers the first time around. They actually seem to feel embarrassed at asking these kinds of questions, as if a salesperson is not supposed to work that hard. LOL.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

That is quite true. Curiosity has to be encouraged. And taught as kids. My Mom was very curious, and encouraged us to be. I asked my teachers alot of questions, and if one had ever attacked me during class, I likely would have plotted a very nasty revenge, with my fellow students, and it would have likely been the last time they engaged in that sort for cowardly foolishness. Getting kicked out of school would have been the last concern in the world for me, at that age.

I find many do not ask questions, and if they do, they are not the right questions or they don't ask enough questions. I am always encouraging my wife to think like a lawyer, when she is making an inquiry about something. What else is Mike going to ask me about this? What other questions can I ask, while I have this person in front of me, or on the phone? Are larger sizes available? Do you offer any discounts? What is the warranty? Is the service work done in house, or does it have to be sent to Bangkok? At my expense, or yours? How long does the repair take? Things like that. Basic stuff. After all these years, still not getting those answers the first time around. They actually seem to feel embarrassed at asking these kinds of questions, as if a salesperson is not supposed to work that hard. LOL.

Thais in the supermarket stores industry have one answer to a multitude of questions which is never far from their lips, which is used frequently i.e. "Sorry, no have", when you know fine well that they do, they've just moved it somewhere else in the store, and even the staff don't know where! Which by the way, I believe was the brainchild of some American Superstore E.O. who decided that  while you are walking down the aisle looking/searching for your item, you will spot something else that you "need"!  

2 hours ago, sambum said:

Thais in the supermarket stores industry have one answer to a multitude of questions which is never far from their lips, which is used frequently i.e. "Sorry, no have", when you know fine well that they do, they've just moved it somewhere else in the store, and even the staff don't know where! Which by the way, I believe was the brainchild of some American Superstore E.O. who decided that  while you are walking down the aisle looking/searching for your item, you will spot something else that you "need"!  

My favorite is the item that quickly sells out and is not re-stocked. Having to restock the shelves with a big money maker is too much work? 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

My favorite is the item that quickly sells out and is not re-stocked. Having to restock the shelves with a big money maker is too much work? 

And you just try asking them if it's been re-ordered! ????

On 3/9/2022 at 10:16 PM, Andycoops said:

And with most children having hardly been at school for the last 2 years a lost generation because of the complete incompetence of the government, teachers and it's pathetic curriculum.

Perhaps the last 2 years were a godsend. Depends on your perspective

On 3/12/2022 at 2:09 PM, Zack61 said:

Perhaps the last 2 years were a godsend. Depends on your perspective

For the kids certainly, lots more hours spent watching tik tok or playing minecraft.

Preparing them for a life inside the metaverse, being fed through a tube.

Sadly, no surprises here. Among other things, until Thailand can reform it's idea and practice of "education", I don't hold out much hope for this country.
Utter foolishness borne from an immoral worldview.

On 3/8/2022 at 11:01 PM, giddyup said:

Never forget when I was 12 asked the teacher what was the population of the world, and the whole class including him broke into uproarious laughter, like I'd asked the most ridiculous thing in the world. Bottom line was he didn't know so had to make me look like an idiot. At least I didn't get whacked for it.

I had something similar. The teacher (a substitute fortunately) had each student in the class in turn read a passage out loud. When I read he said my voice sounded dull like one of those foreign language courses on tape.

I saw a video on youtube of a little Thai boy who was crying because he thought he had lost his Covid protective face mask.

The teacher was asking him questions and apparently telling him where to look for it, all the time videoing the little guy with him crying the whole time.

Then finally she starts laughing and tells the kid, your mask has just slipped down, it's around your neck.

To me this was just sadistic and that person should not be a teacher.

How could you let a kid cry just to get a laugh?

Gotta wonder if the kids had been threatened with consequences if they lost their masks.

Edited by cdemundo
clarify
  • Like 1