Despite little direct trade, Russia’s invasion of Ukraine could spell trouble for Thailand’s vulnerable economy

webfact

te.jpg

By Erich Parpart

A drop in Russian tourists, rising commodity prices, and the possibility of recession in Europe have added risks to the Thai economy following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, analysts said this week.

“Russia’s invasion of Ukraine and the potent sanctions the West has imposed on Russia will likely undercut global growth, increase inflation and disrupt supply chains,” according to Maybank Investment Banking Group Research’s latest report.

“ASEAN will not be spared from the global fallout, despite the small direct trade linkage with Russia and Ukraine,” they said.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://www.thaienquirer.com/38364/despite-little-direct-trade-russias-invasion-of-ukraine-could-spell-trouble-for-thailands-vulnerable-economy/

TE

-- © Copyright Thai Enquirer 2022-03-10

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 2

looks like a recession with hyper inflation for the first world.

That new level of barbarism bombing a children's hospital, today all indications WH is very nervous chemical attack on the way its the Syrian playbook putin has brought to Ukraine and europe,

After china's xi's pando, we are all in for another rough year let hope we survive it.

buy gold.

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

36 minutes ago, Skeptic7 said:

The Ruble is down almost 50% against THB and most other currencies this year. The average "F-Russian" ain't gonna be traveling anywhere anytime soon. ????

Looking at XE it seems to be down 80% in the last month 2.28 to 4.11.

• Like 1

While any tourists not returning to LOS is a bad look it won't break the economy given years of 'the situation' and its devastating impacts ( the economy is already under multiple strains anyway and a certain percentage [the major proportion not being Russian] of one nationality not coming here wont be a deal breaker, given these other wide reaching strains.

• Like 1

Russia imports more than a few vehicles from Thailand.  That will hurt, if ruble value is now halved, so export to Russians twice as much if applied across the board.

Imports from RU should be cheaper, so don't understand the oil issue, unless people stop importing / buying, which hasn't happened.  

All, price increases, appear to be price gouging, for NO practical reason ... AGAIN ... IMHO, and no surprises there.  Greed rules, and any news-blip seems to be used for more profits.  Why they control the news & the Sheeple.

"Everything is going to cost more"

"OK" ... baa baa

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It will have a minimal affect on Thailand, a few less tourists from Russia and maybe a couple of baht on oil.

Thailands government needs to start building some home grown employment opportunities and stop being so reliant on investment from overseas by way of tourism or commerce.

Really, 1.5 million Russian and Ukranian tourists visited Thailand in 2019. I doubt many will be coming in 2022/23. With no Chinese either and probably fewer Europeans (struggling with inflation) looks like the tourist industry won't recover anytime soon.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, chilly07 said:

Whilst Putin controls the media and internet and uses the riot police on disent their is zero chance of a popular uprising. Russian Tourists will at least be getting real news but their aren't enough of them to get Putin out. UK can't even get rid of Bozo with full media exposure so we are stuck with Mad Vlad for the foreseeable. Hope I am wrong!

Dominion Voting Systems would solve that, you can appoint anyone of your choosing as leader ????

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 hours ago, hotchilli said:

It will have a minimal affect on Thailand, a few less tourists from Russia and maybe a couple of baht on oil.

Thailands government needs to start building some home grown employment opportunities and stop being so reliant on investment from overseas by way of tourism or commerce.

couple of baht on oil? gasohol 95 is now 40baht a litre , i have never ever known it this price ,

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

couple of baht on oil? gasohol 95 is now 40baht a litre , i have never ever known it this price ,

Yea, highest I remember 91 being at was 36 ish.  This is silly, and no reason for it ... IMHO

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, ivor bigun said:

My meaning was the government will try to keep it low at the pumps, they have already said they will consider dropping the tax rate for the next 6 months.

I appreciate it may have risen recently, but that's the stations gouging, new oil deliveries at new prices haven't arrived in Thailand yet.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Henryford said:

Really, 1.5 million Russian and Ukranian tourists visited Thailand in 2019. I doubt many will be coming in 2022/23. With no Chinese either and probably fewer Europeans (struggling with inflation) looks like the tourist industry won't recover anytime soon.

As I said, the government needs to remodel it's domestic commerce to aid recovery and unemployment.

They can't rely on tourism and international investment to bail them out all the time.

• Like 1

lets face it this year will see zero Russians ,and as prices rise worldwide westerners will not be able to afford to come ,was talking to my Daughter yesterday ,and she reckons to fill their oil tank for central heating it is now 950 pounds ,lucky they have a wood burning heater ,but even the wood has gone up ,mind you last time i was over her husband and me scoured the woods and brought back loads free.