Leaving the car in Thailand for 6 months.

sirineou

We will be out of the country for as long as 6 months with a minimum of 3 months, The car in question is a less than a year old Suzuki XL& with a fair amount of electronics. I was told to disconnect the battery, but I am concerned about the electronics and the reset. when we come back.  I have a call to Suzuki, but I thought I will ask about that  here and some other concerns that Suzuki might not want to comment but some of you might have experience with. 

The car is under cover but open to the sides. I will post a picture. 

Ok so the first concern. Should I disconnect the battery, or should I buy a battery charger and  set it on trickle charge.

Second concern, Mice. I don't want to comeback and find the car a mice condominium and my electrical system an all you can eat buffet.

I was thinking moth balls.  . question,  Good idea, and if so only the engine compartment or inside the car also  ( I will close the recirculate  from outside, air vent.    Any other ideas better? 

Third concern. Tires , do you all think it will be ok for 6 month immobile , or should I put it on blocks? 

Thank you all in advance???? 

PS did you like my low tech paper-towel idea with  obscuring the license plate? ????

No description available.

Edited by sirineou
typos,

I left my vehicle in the UK for 6 months. I bought a solar battery charger and plugged it into a console under the dash.  I would do that rather than disconnect the battery. Then there are the tyres that require consideration. If you leave them without use they lose air and also stick to the ground.  There are various methods to alleviate any degradation.  One solution is to have someone you can trust call in a and give it a gentle run ( in your property) every 6 weeks or so.

• Like 1

We go through this every year, both here in Thailand as well as back in Europe (as we spend above 6 months in each place). In Europe it's slightly simpler; we have the car in a covered garage, hooked up to a trickle charger. This is really the next best thing to having someone drive it once in a while (once a month, for 20 minutes is plenty to keep both the tires and electrics in order). With newer cars, and all the electronics inside 'em, I'd always use a trickle charger if the car is left alone for more then 3 months. Disconnecting the battery doesn't do much; it'll still be drained in 6 months and you'll have to deal with resetting all the electronics. 

Another issue is the tires. If standing still for such a long period time, with constant pressure of the weight of the car/engine at a single point of your tires, you risk the tires getting out of shape (so I have been told by my mechanic back in The Netherlands). The next best thing to have someone drive it occasionally, is to put extra air pressure in the tires.

Bugs, rodents and other critters are bigger issue here in Thailand and, frankly, we haven't found the perfect solution for this. Moth balls, etc help a bit, however these would need to be changed regularly since they won't remain effective for that long. We have had to deal with chewed wiring, etc a few times. 

Currently, I have my business partner look after our car while we're away (the Thai car) and he'll take it out for a drive once a month or so. That's really the best option you have, if you can manage it. 

Simply removing the battery and putting a cover over it isn't going to do much, other that reducing the amount of dust the car will collect. You'll still have to deal with all the other issues. 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, PJ71 said:

Get someone to take it out for 30mins once a week.

Lasy car i did this , I left it with 20k km and when I came back I found it with over 100K and thee holes the size of my finger,  in a fender that were covered with with some kind of plastic black, stick on  circles (the car was blue) , we were told they did not know how it happened, it must have happened in the parking lot.

I did not mind too much, as  it was an inexpensive Mitsubishi mirage.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

14 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

We go through this every year, both here in Thailand as well as back in Europe (as we spend above 6 months in each place). In Europe it's slightly simpler; we have the car in a covered garage, hooked up to a trickle charger. This is really the next best thing to having someone drive it once in a while (once a month, for 20 minutes is plenty to keep both the tires and electrics in order). With newer cars, and all the electronics inside 'em, I'd always use a trickle charger if the car is left alone for more then 3 months. Disconnecting the battery doesn't do much; it'll still be drained in 6 months and you'll have to deal with resetting all the electronics. 

Another issue is the tires. If standing still for such a long period time, with constant pressure of the weight of the car/engine at a single point of your tires, you risk the tires getting out of shape (so I have been told by my mechanic back in The Netherlands). The next best thing to have someone drive it occasionally, is to put extra air pressure in the tires.

Bugs, rodents and other critters are bigger issue here in Thailand and, frankly, we haven't found the perfect solution for this. Moth balls, etc help a bit, however these would need to be changed regularly since they won't remain effective for that long. We have had to deal with chewed wiring, etc a few times. 

Currently, I have my business partner look after our car while we're away (the Thai car) and he'll take it out for a drive once a month or so. That's really the best option you have, if you can manage it. 

Simply removing the battery and putting a cover over it isn't going to do much, other that reducing the amount of dust the car will collect. You'll still have to deal with all the other issues. 

Though I appreciate all the advice I got so far , and hope to get more, (i don't know what I don't know) , it's nice to hear from someone who  is doing it now. If thinks work out well where we are going , we hope to get a place there and also do as you do and spend the summers away. Eventually we are Thinking of doing 7 months in Greece and 5 months in Thailand , Would need to spend 6 months or more to maintain permanent residence there,  and if I spend only 5 months here , A non Im-O with a two month extension will give me 5 months and I will not have to worry about extensions to stay and money in the bank etc.  I will look for a trickle charger Today.  

Edited by sirineou

17 minutes ago, sirineou said:

Though I appreciate all the advice I got so far , and hope to get more, (i don't know what I don't know) , it's nice to hear from someone who  is doing it now. If thinks work out well where we are going , we hope to get a place there and also do as you do and spend the summers away. Eventually we are Thinking of doing 7 months in Greece and 5 months in Thailand , Would need to spend 6 months or more to maintain permanent residence there,  and if I spend only 5 months here , A non Im-O with a two month extension will give me 5 months and I will not have to worry about extensions to stay and money in the bank etc.  I will look for a trickle charger Today.  

It's a nice life for sure; we are truly blessed to be able to do this. Bought a property in The Netherlands a few years back and are now enjoying the best of both worlds (Europe in the summer, Thailand during the colder months).

As with anything, it comes with trade-offs and challenges, but worth it so far.

6 minutes ago, mjnaus said:

It's a nice life for sure; we are truly blessed to be able to do this. Bought a property in The Netherlands a few years back and are now enjoying the best of both worlds (Europe in the summer, Thailand during the colder months).

As with anything, it comes with trade-offs and challenges, but worth it so far.

I looked in lazada for a car battery charger that would be good for the purpose you mentioned. But unfortunately for me , they all looked different than the ones I am familiar in the US and I have never bought one here. Since you have don it here, Do you think any charger will do, or do you see one on lazada that you would think it is better for my purpose. 

I appreciate all your help !!????

12 minutes ago, sirineou said:

I looked in lazada for a car battery charger that would be good for the purpose you mentioned. But unfortunately for me , they all looked different than the ones I am familiar in the US and I have never bought one here. Since you have don it here, Do you think any charger will do, or do you see one on lazada that you would think it is better for my purpose. 

I appreciate all your help !!????

A good bunch of those I see on Lazada look very similar to the one I bought back in The Netherlands. Prices seems comparable as well. If memory serves me; I spend about 30 euros or so (roughly 1000 baht). 

Furthermore, pretty sure the stuff's all manufactured in China, so doubt there's much difference between the ones here and back in Europe. Not sure what types you're familiar with in the US though (although I have seen the same kind as on Lazada in the US as well).

This is what I got in Europe: https://www.bol.com/nl/nl/p/charge-it-acculader-en-druppellader-diverse-veiligheidsmodi-acculader-voor-auto-motor-scooter-boot-camper-12v-6a/9300000033937737/?s2a=. So far, it's been doing very well, also through the colder weather, rain, etc. 

If I would need one here in Thailand, I'd probably end up buying something along these lines: https://www.lazada.co.th/products/12v-8a-foxsur-fbc-1208-smart-battery-charger-by-nk-marketing-i317094021-s593370076.html?spm=a2o4m.searchlist.list.15.44722562RRZ9pY&search=1

• Thanks 1

Just a different take on this - I CERTAINLY wouldn't leave the battery on trickle charge for 6 months. Seems risky to me.

Disconnect the battery and it should restart the car OK when you get back. Electronic settings should still be there . . .

Getting a trusted friend to start up and run the car a little every few weeks is the best idea. Or leave it at a Friends house . . .

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TorquayFan said:

Just a different take on this - I CERTAINLY wouldn't leave the battery on trickle charge for 6 months. Seems risky to me.

Disconnect the battery and it should restart the car OK when you get back. Electronic settings should still be there . . .

Getting a trusted friend to start up and run the car a little every few weeks is the best idea. Or leave it at a Friends house . . .

Had zero issues leaving the battery on a trickle charger for months on end. If the charger does what it's supposed to do, it mimics the charging/discharging of the battery as it would when it's being driven. So there should be no problem leaving using this approach. Done it many times and never had issues (plus had this approach recommended by mechanics both here in Thailand as well as back in Europe).

Disconnecting the battery will reset electronics, at least in the car that I tried it with (Suzuki S-Cross).

Do agree with the last sentence though; the best option, by far, is to simply have it driven regularly (once a month for 20 minutes or so is good enough).  

• Like 2

Was just fantasizing about "building" a "watertight" wrap or tent that could keep rodents away?

I remember photos where cars were completely wrapped in some plastic "tent" to protect from flood. Not sure whether rodents would bite through it?

Can someone say what the problem with disconnecting is except some inconvenience setting up electronics/gadgets after reconnecting? Maybe PIN/security code needed?
I read some concerns about leaving ethanol fuel in the tank for long?

Edited by KhunBENQ

MJNAUS - OK I defer to your experience BUT I have asked the question of a PhD techie Friend, who was MD of an Exide factory.

I expect him to confirm what you say, when he wakes up. Will revert.

Another thought, re the tyres - not sure if this is feasible with a modern car - but jack it up on blocks, safely. Only needs to be an inch off the ground . . . .

2 hours ago, TorquayFan said:

MJNAUS - OK I defer to your experience BUT I have asked the question of a PhD techie Friend, who was MD of an Exide factory.

I expect him to confirm what you say, when he wakes up. Will revert.

Another thought, re the tyres - not sure if this is feasible with a modern car - but jack it up on blocks, safely. Only needs to be an inch off the ground . . . .

Lol, well alright then ????

Maybe good to keep in the back of one's mind; being an expert in area doesn't make you one in all ???? I am sure there will be folks with credentials way fancier than mine that will disagree. I prefer to take the advice of a trusted mechanic over any PhD techie guy. Then again, it's always good to collect as many views on the matter as possible. 

I do like the idea of getting the car if the ground though... I am sure someone who's handy enough could figure out a way to make that happen. Not sure what the consequences would be on the suspension though, being "airborne" for months on end....

• Like 1

Hi Mjnaus - I expect my Friend to confirm your view (eventually) thus overuling my own caution about leaving an electrical device running non-stop for 6 months unattended.

For getting the car off the ground I would have tried hardwood blocks under the suspension - the weight would still be on the suspension. But it's decades since I've been underneath a car, so I could have that wrong too !

ATB

If this was my less than a year old vehicle and it was parked as in the picture, I would only cover with a car cover............................................(If i was in a cold climate, I might ask someone to give it a spin every once in a while), but...................................................keep it simple is best IMO.......................

Mjnaus - my Pal suggests checking with the Manufacturer of the Battery charger as to it's constant use for 6 months but that's only if it isn't possible to run the car a few times. Not much help, sorry.

Hauptman - I'm sure this is right - "A battery in good condition will have very little self-discharge and after a year should still have most of its charge". Absolutely ! And 45 psi in the tyres - job done.

Re. the vermin - the property pictured looks a good environs but anyway, spray some stuff around, lay pellets and maybe put a net around the bottom of the vehicle to prevent access. Easy. But largely, that one is in the hands of God . . .

A rat once munched my Vigo wires but happily, my killer dog soon got 'im !

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, DaLa said:

I left my vehicle in the UK for 6 months. I bought a solar battery charger and plugged it into a console under the dash.  I would do that rather than disconnect the battery. Then there are the tyres that require consideration. If you leave them without use they lose air and also stick to the ground.  There are various methods to alleviate any degradation.  One solution is to have someone you can trust call in a and give it a gentle run ( in your property) every 6 weeks or so.

I left my car for two years in my home in the US and when I came back I just had to jump start my car. After few months the brakes starting grinding and took it to the shop they said  needs brake disc resurfacing. Not sure if that it was for parking the car or not. May be the brake was very old. The car is fairly old in US standard where people change cars every 10-years and the car was 17 years old as I don't drive often and most of the times I'm outside the US (I was a digital nomad pre-covid), pre-covid. But it is garage kept (so no snow or sunlight/rain   hitting the car). People do suggest to disconnect the battery if parked for long. 

11 hours ago, PJ71 said:

Get someone to take it out for 30mins once a week.

Reverse for me. Over winter when I'm in Thailand (and for 14 mths of pandemic) I have/had a friend come to my London flat and start my car every 3 weeks. Lets it warm up fully, drives it around my car park and reparks it. Never had a problem with flat battery or any other issues. Advise doing this if possble to keep your car in good shape. Run the aircon too each time to keep in order.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Reverse for me. Over winter when I'm in Thailand (and for 14 mths of pandemic) I have/had a friend come to my London flat and start my car every 3 weeks. Lets it warm up fully, drives it around my car park and reparks it. Never had a problem with flat battery or any other issues. Advise doing this if possble to keep your car in good shape. Run the aircon too each time to keep in order.

It has been decided that we will do as you also did and many others also suggested.  .

THANK YOU ALL!!????

My wife's driend's brother who is also a policemen, and we know well,  will come over every  few weeks to check on the house  and cut the grass, and since he is here I asked if he could start the car and move it back and forth in the parking space to change the position of the tires. He did not want to accept  payment but I will give him some money anyway, to pay for his gas and a bit more for his trouble. 

It should not be too much trouble cutting the grass, it is a small area, and I have a self propelled gas powered lawn mover. 

I will still over inflate the tires, It cant hurt. . and I will ask that he spreads some mothballs under and around the car to keep mice away. . Can anyone suggest something better than mothballs?

I mention that he is a policemen because I  asked him if at times he can come over in uniform and with police car if possible. It does not hurt to have the neighbors (not that we ever had a problem) to see the police and perhaps not mess with the property while we are gone. 

Edited by sirineou
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, sirineou said:

It has been decided that we will do as you also did and many others also suggested.  .

THANK YOU ALL!!????

My wife's driend's brother who is also a policemen, and we know well,  will come over every  few weeks to check on the house  and cut the grass, and since he is here I asked if he could start the car and move it back and forth in the parking space to change the position of the tires. He did not want to accept  payment but I will give him some money anyway, to pay for his gas and a bit more for his trouble. 

It should not be too much trouble cutting the grass, it is a small area, and I have a self propelled gas powered lawn mover. 

I will still over inflate the tires, It cant hurt. . and I will ask that he spreads some mothballs under and around the car to keep mice away. . Can anyone suggest something better than mothballs?

I mention that he is a policemen because I  asked him if at times he can come over in uniform and with police car if possible. It does not hurt to have the neighbors (not that we ever had a problem) to see the police and perhaps not mess with the property while we are gone. 

Good choice! From my experience; when the car's driven every few weeks, there's no issues with rodents and other critters. We have only had this problem leaving the car unattended for months on end. If you're still concerned about rats, our exterminator guy (who comes to the house every few months to deal with prevent of ants, termites, etc) has used some sort of rat pallet poison in our ceiling. According to him, the stuff lasts for months (doesn't go bad) and when rats eat it, it'll kill the rats and sort mummifies 'em (so you won't end up with decomposing critters everywhere). Might be worth looking into.

But if you do decide to take measures against the rodent issue, it'll probably need to maintained by your friend (with the exception of those poison pellets, if they indeed last for months).

We don't bother anymore though; since we have had someone looking after the car once a month, we have had zero issues with rodents, bugs, etc. Of course, that's no guarantee your experience will be same (we life in a gated community, not out in the boonies, not sure if that makes any difference). 

• Like 1

Some talk of trickle chargers. Leaving a regular trickle charger on for months wlll very likely cook the battery.

Use a battery conditioner such the 2nd one njhaus linked too. These are intelligent and go through cycles to keep the battery in good condition and will shut off charging when it is not needed.

I've done it many times. As some others have suggested buy a car cover for it. They're cheap enough...look in Bic C or Lotus's. And of course disconnect the battery. I've left my car for 6 months while I went to Australia a few times and never had any issues. When I got back it always started first go then I'd take it out for a longish drive (20-30K) 

Not so sure about having a Thai come and start it up. I did that once and the dunderhead just flattened my battery, so when I returned the car was dead and I had to frig around getting the guy from the battery shop to take mine away and recharge it and bring it back. 

Use a battery conditioner.  Available in UK or he price of a battery.

YOur biggest problem could be modern petrol ( gasoline)  This is notorious for degrading when left standing.  I am told that you can buy 'fuel conditioners' which prevent modern E brands from degrading in your tank.

My own car was left in UK for a year because of covid travel restrictions.  Would hardly run until the tank was filled with fresh petrol, and still not running right as not all the old petrol has been flushed through.

Possibly consider leaving the tank empty or nearly so and fill with fresh fuel when you return.

The internet, or web-sites of classic car magazines might have more advice on this.

I have kept a car in the US on a trickle charger over a year and had no problems. I haven't seen it posted in this thread but I always fill up the gas tank in order to reduce the amount of air and thus reduce condensation in the gas tank. If storing the car for longer than 3 months maybe consider adding some fuel stabilizer to the gas.

Edited by grin
  • Thanks 1