Plugin or take to the bike as fuel prices soar

webfact

5 hours ago, Crossy said:

Our OP seems to have had a 60% increase on cost to fill up, maybe he should find an alternative station :whistling:

The Fiesta has a 43L tank - so it should have cost 1,300Baht to fill in January or 1,678Baht now (from totally dry of course).

A splash of journalistic licence here methinks.

Not all Fiestas have a 43ltr tank. The basic model only holds 40ltrs. He said that he fills up at the 3/4 mark, but how accurate is his fuel gauge? They are not known for their accuracy. He might only be putting in 2/3 capacity, 26.4ltr.

At the quoted price you gave, 30.24, that could see him paying 798 for a fill. Not much different than his quote of 790 is it.

I'd give him the benefit of the doubt on that one.

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

He was talking about recharging delaying his trip by 8 hours. He made a general statement. And it rules out hotels. And you think it's likely he was referring to some putative friend of his who might have a charging station at his house? Give it up already. He clearly hasn't a clue.

And just how many of those commercial charging stations are in Thailand today?

2 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Really? Fact-based replies get members banned on thaivisa? Nonsense.

Of course, those who are fact-challenged do often resort to insults instead and those will get members suspended and/or banned.

Just do some real homework and research. EV's sound all sweet and fluffy to comfort the new age emotional generation, but in reality there is another side thats unrealistic. Just do the homework. 2 groups fighting over power thats all, need to look at both side not just media and corporate propaganda. I will leave it here. 

• Like 2

When I retired realized no need to drive anymore.  No human right to pollute the air and cause climate change IMO.  Should be a priority as most countries are moving toward EV's, but very slowly unfortunately as Oil conglomerates/megacorporations still have a lot of clout in governments

Pattaya has plenty of paid options to get places and I can walk to restaurants, family marts, etc...  Hospitals 10 baht away in a songthaew.  Most I have paid for a bolt is 84 baht one way ~ 10 kilometers.  Why complicate your life with parking problems, insurance, fuel costs, maintenance costs, and licensing nonsense of ownership.  If you really need to travel with one or two others and do not want to hire a van, you can rent a car for a month. 

Plenty of locally made Electric scooters now by Deco green energy if you cannot walk a few kilometers

Keep it simple, Citroen and Renault make EV's for the city that plug into any 220 outlet with cord...smart charger is inside the EV...that makes sense to me, not sure why others do not do that.

DSC00801.jpg

deco.jpeg

Edited by Skallywag

5 minutes ago, Pabs said:

Just do some real homework and research. EV's sound all sweet and fluffy to comfort the new age emotional generation, but in reality there is another side thats unrealistic. Just do the homework. 2 groups fighting over power thats all, need to look at both side not just media and corporate propaganda. I will leave it here. 

Claiming there's evidence and asking someone else to look for it? I'm not here do to your homework for you.

Maybe you should share your advice with these automobile manufacturers.

image.png.a8ed98543556b08d0cb6d8aaa0cf1648.png

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2021-08-05/automakers-are-investing-billions-of-dollars-in-evs

And this list is hardly exhaustive

4 hours ago, bdenner said:

Looking forward to seeing all those idiot rev heads on their noisy, souped up Honda Waves trying to race or do wheelies on electric bikes!

Be careful what you wish for. Electric motorcycles can have unbelievable performance.

As Khun La said...  PLENTY of <deleted> chargers in Thailand.   here's the App I use to find them and plan trips:

image.png.d29629ca0eb044d6ef947711dd56188e.png

Personally I am not an environmentalist, but I am a cheapskate!   I will never buy another ICE car again after buying my first EV in May last year.  I am fortunate to also have a nice diesel truck that I keep for... well, truck situations.   But The EV is less than half the cost to run so far.  23,500 km so far on it.  Did my first service at 15,000km.    The MG dealership here has a window so I could see what they were doing.

My service consisted of adding washer fluid.   That's it.

Now in 10 years or so when the battery starts to poo the bed, I'm sure I'll be less happy.  But batteries will be MUCH cheaper then.  And recycling them will get better, too.

Also, I challenge any of you diesel truck drivers, or civic, or fiestas to a race...  the cheap little Chinese EV will literally leave you in the dust, for 300+km.   Nothing keeps up with me on the road save big bikes and the odd sports car.   I blew away a red-plate Audi TT coupe the other day on the almost unused highway near here...   he was trying hard, too!   I'm enjoying these golden times where I'm one of the few enjoying this marvel of electrical engineering.   When all the Somchais figure out how cheap and fast these things are, the carnage on the roads will probably double or more.

Edited by n8sail
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, n8sail said:

As Khun La said...  PLENTY of <deleted> chargers in Thailand.   here's the App I use to find them and plan trips:

image.png.d29629ca0eb044d6ef947711dd56188e.png

Personally I am not an environmentalist, but I am a cheapskate!   I will never buy another ICE car again after buying my first EV in May last year.  I am fortunate to also have a nice diesel truck that I keep for... well, truck situations.   But The EV is less than half the cost to run so far.  23,500 km so far on it.  Did my first service at 15,000km.    The MG dealership here has a window so I could see what they were doing.

My service consisted of adding washer fluid.   That's it.

Now in 10 years or so when the battery starts to poo the bed, I'm sure I'll be less happy.  But batteries will be MUCH cheaper then.  And recycling them will get better, too.

Also, I challenge any of you diesel truck drivers, or civic, or fiestas to a race...  the cheap little Chinese EV will literally leave you in the dust, for 300+km.   Nothing keeps up with me on the road save big bikes and the odd sports car.   I blew away a red-plate Audi TT coupe the other day on the highway...   he was trying hard, too!   I'm enjoying these golden times where I'm one of the few enjoying this marvel of electrical engineering.   When all the Somchais figure out how cheap and fast these things are, the carnage on the roads will probably double or more.

You got a link for that?

7 hours ago, CharlieH said:

BS! They"re using the Russia situation as a damn excuse to hike prices nothing more.

Now why would you say that. Especially as fuel prices are affected world wide. Businesses have to react to fuel prices at source.

1 minute ago, Muhendis said:

I thought they were water fired from the Mekong or is that just Loas.

Mostly coal here in central Thailand.   Much of the Northeast is powered by excess Hydro form Laos.

My girlfriend works at one of the coal-fired plants in Map Ta Phut.   They bring in Aussie coal by barge and burn that.  It's cleaner than the locally available coal.

Also, solar is starting to catch on.  There is a large solar farm east of the Dark Side, you can see it just off the Highway 7 extension.   And they are starting a massive floating solar farm in Northeast.

Electricity is not that clean here...  but it is better to burn HUGE boilers fired with coal in concentrated areas than millions of tiny inefficient separate burners all over the place.  Certainly helps with air quality if you care about that.

3 minutes ago, DefaultName said:

I would consider an electric bike when mine needs replacing.  But.  I'm a condo dweller with nowhere to charge one.

Does anyone's condo have charging points?

Yes, mine does.   7 baht per unit though.    I also put a charger at work, only 4 baht per unit there.   My car came with a free 7.5 kilowatt charger that I installed at work behind a electric meter, so I just pay them based on usage.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DefaultName said:

I would consider an electric bike when mine needs replacing.  But.  I'm a condo dweller with nowhere to charge one.

Does anyone's condo have charging points?

There's a battery manufacturing company called gogoro that manufactures swappable batteries for motorbikes. It has deals with several major motorbike manufacturers. It's a big success in Taiwan. I don't think it has yet come to Thailand.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, placeholder said:

There's a battery manufacturing company called gogoro that manufactures swappable batteries for motorbikes. It has deals with several major motorbike manufacturers. It's a big success in Taiwan. I don't think it has yet come to Thailand.

EGAT start a battery swap program, but not for the general public.  With both silly priced scooters & spare battery prices.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/2238751/electric-motorcycle-trial-gets-underway 

If link not allowed, google "Egat has spent 21 million baht on rolling out the electric motorcycle project. Each motorcycle costs 84,000 baht, with a battery worth 40,000 baht."

Edited by KhunLA

7 hours ago, JayBird said:

Anyone got a good list of ev options available here?

Good question. Can you even buy a Tesla. in Thailand? I heard EVs from China are supposed to be import duty free but I cant see any way to order one. I have a Tesla Pickup ordered and hope there is some way to get it by the time it is built. Will be a while as they will be built in America first and doubt it will be economical to get it from there.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

We are starting to see more and more places for EV drivers to recharge in shopping centre car parks and at gas stations.

Where do you think 'electricity' comes from.  Perhaps the magic electricity fairy?  Here - a bulk of the electricity is create via coal.  As commodities increase in price, so does electricity.  Add to that 'demand' where demand outstrips supply and you'll find you can't afford electricity for your car.  10 years from now you'll publish the same post accept it will be complaining about sky-high, unaffordable electricity.

Personally, fuel can double in price again.  I'll be fine.  I don't worry about it.

The conservative and not over rapidly moving Thai Government, with a dubious reputation for competence and many (not all) commentators here are missing (at least) 1 important point - badly!

The world will not wait for TH to build a nationwide first class
'E- transport and service infrastructure' and supporting electricity capacities etc.........
This would include a dense net of state-of-the-art charging points and many other expensive adjustments and investments necessary when transforming a combustion / carbon-based society into the inevitable E - alternative, of the near future.

Leading vehicle manufacturers (cars, trucks, busses, ships etc.) are announcing the end of their combustion engine productions and a switch to E / and or hydrogen technology. In a few years only = GAME OVER for those who ignored the 'winds of change'.

Has this sunk in here? Has the re-training of millions in the transport - maintenance and power industry been discussed by at least the first 5 committees? ????. My 5 cents. 

2 hours ago, placeholder said:

The internet is your friend. Have you tried googling for a nearby charging station. It seems extremely unlikely that they don't exist in a suburb of Bangkok.

I agree the internet is my friend. I use it everyday. Just googled charging station near me and charging station <district name> and there are none. Just like I see with my own eyes.

There are one or two charging points in neighboring districts tho at least 10km away according to Google.

• Confused 1