Retirement visa...American...Slightly short of funds to qualify

16 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Keep Medicare.

If you get to a certain age here, it is difficult to get insurance.  If you can, it is way more expensive here.

Medicare is relatively cheap. You never know what procedure you may need in the future where you would be better off going back to the U.S.

Sure but for procedures related to emergencies you may not be well enough to make it to the BKK airport let alone going back to the US for treatment.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Sure but for procedures related to emergencies you may not be well enough to make it to the BKK airport let alone going back to the US for treatment.

Agreed.

My argument for paying for B is that even for people that never intend to move back, changing your mind can happen.

I would go with keeping 800K baht in a Thai bank.  It won't gain much in interest but if you only use that account for your retirement visa at least you will always have the required funds ready for your renewal.  

I would also keep your Medicare and Part B.  You never know when you're going to need it.  

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 7:42 AM, Maha Sarakham said:

I think I would strive to achieve the 800k in the bank before I would want to deal with unpredictable immigration officers and routinely being at their mercy.

You will still have to deal with unpredictable immigration officers with the 800k in the bank. If you want to avoid all the nonsense with IOs and banks. then see an agent.

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, zzzzz said:

agent fees are around 15,000 baht/YEAR so in realty

1,250 baht/month or $36 ( 34 baht/$)

Just quoted what was posted.  I've read people quote as low as 7k for an agent, though simply for convenience sake, not 'providing' paperwork for approval.  Others are happy paying 50k to bypass the rules.

I simply follow the way too easy to comply rules for FREE

IMHO ... if you can't make the financials, you really should reconsider retiring overseas, as home country will have safety net for you when that oops occurs.

3 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I've never used an agent fixer and wouldn't unless desperate.

Why?

Legal grey area

You're involving yourself in corruption

Always a possibility of a crackdown at your office

Horror stories like

Agent runs off with passports and money

Agent doesn't return phone calls

Agent uses another non local office messing up your 90 day address reports

People feeling locked into the agent system once started

Sorry JT, all I can say is I don't agree with you at all. This may sound contradictionary, but this being Thailand, anything can happen, the country is nothing more than a Banana Republic being run by soldiers who would be better sticking to their barracks and parade grounds.

1 minute ago, possum1931 said:

Sorry JT, all I can say is I don't agree with you at all. This may sound contradictionary, but this being Thailand, anything can happen, the country is nothing more than a Banana Republic being run by soldiers who would be better sticking to their barracks and parade grounds.

I understand your POV.

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Point Of View

Could you not have said that the first time and keep in mind that you are on a forum and not texting on a smartphone.

Imagine me saying that to you with the amount of posts that you have. ????

On 3/14/2022 at 7:37 AM, WEBBYB808 said:

You cant use Medicare while living in Thailand.   To pay that would simply be a waste of money every month.

When I arranged direct deposit of my Social Security to my Thai bank they discontinued my Medicare without asking. Don't know if that is normal, but my wife started depositing in a "self insured" account.

• Confused 2

2 hours ago, Jingthing said:

I've never used an agent fixer and wouldn't unless desperate.

Why?

Legal grey area

You're involving yourself in corruption

Always a possibility of a crackdown at your office

Horror stories like

Agent runs off with passports and money

Agent doesn't return phone calls

Agent loses passport

Agent uses another non local office messing up your 90 day address reports

People feeling locked into the agent system once started

Last but not least -

People that use agents aggressively trying to sell others on using agents. Reminds me of bitcoin pushers.

Exaggerated. Agents working hand in hand with Immigration provide a good service, also the extra money they receive keeps them sweet for everyone else. Of course pick an agent with a good reputation for many years with an office. Some people only use an agent for a short period like me

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Exaggerated. Agents working hand in hand with Immigration provide a good service, also the extra money they receive keeps them sweet for everyone else. Of course pick an agent with a good reputation for many years with an office. Some people only use an agent for a short period like me

Up to you 

Not for me and I don't recommend to others.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

agree; there are reputable agents that work hand in hand with some immigration offices,
the idea that ur getting a "fake" visa/extension is just not true anymore<
legit extensions>

I used an agent, my extension was issued in Khoen khan, i lived in Phuket and my multiple entry permit was issued in Phuket> ( that was a wasted 3, 800 baht  LOL ) 
i than filed a new tm and had no problems doing my 90 day reports in Phuket. Didn't really matter as all my 90 day reports are done online

to get Back to doing it on ur own you just need do a year of ur own 800,000 in the bank or 65,000 /month verified income and than no need for an agent

I do recommend the agent i use to others and zero problems

• Haha 1

Thanks for the information guys.  I was off on a campong trip hence the delay in this reply.   I had no idea agents were a thing so may contact one.  Does anyone have a good one they can recommend?

I will be keeping my Medicare knowing I will not be in Thailand for the long term.

I will be returning to my old apartment in Bangkok which is now 14,000 baht and have no fears about living on 63000 Baht a year.

Once again thanks for the replies and let me know of an agent to contact.

3 hours ago, wornoutcowboy said:

Thanks for the information guys.  I was off on a campong trip hence the delay in this reply.   I had no idea agents were a thing so may contact one.  Does anyone have a good one they can recommend?

I will be keeping my Medicare knowing I will not be in Thailand for the long term.

I will be returning to my old apartment in Bangkok which is now 14,000 baht and have no fears about living on 63000 Baht a year.

Once again thanks for the replies and let me know of an agent to contact.

Maneerat in Pattaya 13\2 soi Post Office may be able to help you, long established, highly recommended agent. Check googlemaps

25 minutes ago, RedArmy said:

Now thats what i call a proper Cheap Charlie.

True. 

Thinking he meant 65k per month.

I believe some folk actually live ok on 65k. 

With 14k rent doesn't leave a lot. 

Edited by DrJack54

On 3/14/2022 at 3:50 AM, LatPhrao said:

Can someone elaborate on the "agent" method?  What do they provide, what does it cost, regards meeting the 800K and/or the 65K per month for retirement visa?  Where can you find an agent?  Any recommended agents?

I entered visa exempt, an agent gave me a price of 26,000thb for 90 day Non O and then 12 month extension. I have a bank account but the agent helps with the money requirements and all paperwork. The following year the 12 month extension would be in the 15,000thb range. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DrJack54 said:

True. 

Thinking he meant 65k per month.

I believe some folk actually live ok on 65k. 

With 14k rent doesn't leave a lot. 

Yes, people do live well on less than 65K a month, and possibly a lot less.  With monthly rent as low as 5000+ per month, public trans and taxis - cheap, Thai street cart meals can be 30 to 40 baht, indulgences like the occasional  massage, upscale restaurants, bars...make a number - maybe 35K a month without suffering.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LatPhrao said:

Yes, people do live well on less than 65K a month, and possibly a lot less.  With monthly rent as low as 5000+ per month, public trans and taxis - cheap, Thai street cart meals can be 30 to 40 baht, indulgences like the occasional  massage, upscale restaurants, bars...make a number - maybe 35K a month without suffering.

Or we have made an investment where rent is not a current issue..of course amortized over time, a condo or house of course is an expense but made one time and rent expense drops out monthly and not need 65K to maintain nice lifestyle. Same with cars, etc....save for one time large purchases and then live on smaller monthly outlays.

• Like 1

Oh, sorry.  that should be 63000 baht a month which by local standards is very high.  I have friends in Bangkok who make much, much less.  Some of us have a knack for spending very little while others spend too much.  I tend to be the one who doesn't spend.

Thanks again guys.

• Like 2