FDA Found Harmful Substances in Sausages

webfact

screenshot_17068.jpg

BANGKOK, March 14 (TNA) – The Food and Drug Administration found the harmful content of nitrate and benzoic acid in sausages and blamed them for the illnesses of many children who ate such substandard products.

FDA deputy secretary-general Weerachai Nolwachai said his organization took action after the Poison Center of Ramathibodi Hospital found 14 children suffering methemoglobinemia after consuming unbranded sausages in eight provinces namely Chiang Mai, Phetchaburi, Saraburi, Trang, Phayao, Songkhlra, Nakhon Si Thammarat and Kanchanaburi.

Officials of the FDA and the Public Health Ministry collected 102 samples of sausages nationwide. Examination was concluded with 44 samples, 22 of which were substandard and their producers were facing legal action, Mr Weerachai said.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Full story: https://tna.mcot.net/english-news-901755

tnalogo.jpg
-- © Copyright TNA 2022-03-14

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Officials of the FDA and the Public Health Ministry collected 102 samples of sausages nationwide. Examination was concluded with 44 samples, 22 of which were substandard and their producers were facing legal action, Mr Weerachai said.

Safe trusted Thailand... truly amazing.

28 minutes ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I've never quite understood what the attraction is here for the locals to eat stuff that's been ground up into an unrecognizable pulp.... with considerable potential for adding who knows what along the way to sweeten the mix.

Price.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, internationalism said:

I have checked for those 2 compounds and non of them is used in meat or any food production.

But yes, those red thai sausages do look unhealthy. Must be a lot of salt and preservatives to allow meat not to be kept at low temperature and for that long.

Sodium Nitrite and Sodium Nitrate are both widely used as meat preservatives. Nitrite for meats that take a relatively short time to cure and consume and nitrate for foods such as dried meats that take a longer time to cure and are expected to have a longer shelf life.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Long ago ceased eating that kind of stuff in Thailand. Same for any "ball" products that are made out from any "powder."

I've never quite understood what the attraction is here for the locals to eat stuff that's been ground up into an unrecognizable pulp.... with considerable potential for adding who knows what along the way to sweeten the mix.

And then have it sit outside in a cart all day in the sun at 80 to 90 degree F temperatures.

????   they look disgusting ...

3 hours ago, candide said:

I guess It's the same with the fish balls and meat balls which are very popular in Thailand.

I will go easy with the fish/meat balls and also noddles. Borax as a food additive is often added or soaked to make the meatballs and noddles crunchy. Too much borax is harmful epecially to children and pregnant ladies. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Eric Loh said:

I will go easy with the fish/meat balls and also noddles. Borax as a food additive is often added or soaked to make the meatballs and noddles crunchy. Too much borax is harmful epecially to children and pregnant ladies. 

OMG! I did not think about noodles. It seems to be common for instant noodles. Apparently the only way to take it out is to boil the noodles, throw away the water, and then only use the noodles. I.e. put them in the soup and not cook them in the soup

As a general rule I avoid all what is mixed, mashed, etc... unless I know I can trust the maker or restaurant. Not only meat balls, but also Lasagna, Parmentier, chilli con carne, meat pies, etc...

19 hours ago, internationalism said:

I have checked for those 2 compounds and non of them is used in meat or any food production.

But yes, those red thai sausages do look unhealthy. Must be a lot of salt and preservatives to allow meat not to be kept at low temperature and for that long.

They are both common food preservatives. Sodium Benzoate and sodium nitrite. The translation was wrong. 

• Like 2

On 3/14/2022 at 4:29 PM, Eric Loh said:

Too much borax is harmful epecially to children and pregnant ladies. 

I shall warn my ladies to avoid a load of Borax or Borat.

I think the popularity of fishballs (who knew they had them ) is they are cheap and require little effort always popular.

With sufficient Chillis , Soy, Sugar, Prik Bon and Nam Plaa the somewhat fishy testicle flavour is disguised no doubt.

Thai style enforcement and regulation.

No pro-active testing of sausages just wait until someone gets sick or dies...

The kids got ill from 'unbranded' sausages which I assume means the kind of thing you will see on the BBQ at your local market.

One can only hope that the 'branded' sausages are produced under better monitoring conditions...