I really get scared....

Pravda

3 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Agreed .........

I was 63 before I'd done everything on my list.

Last thing on my list was bungee jumping, did that here, Phuket, inexpensive, over a lake, at 44 yrs old.  Can't think of anything else want to do.  Visit a couple places, but too lazy to just go the the airport and wait around for 3 ish hrs, let alone sit on a plane more than 2 hrs.  So must not be too important.

Traveled out, since worked for airlines, and made things easy, more importantly, cheap, or I probably would have never left continental USA.

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Last thing on my list was bungee jumping, did that here, Phuket, inexpensive, over a lake, at 44 yrs old.  Can't think of anything else want to do.  Visit a couple places, but too lazy to just go the the airport and wait around for 3 ish hrs, let alone sit on a plane more than 2 hrs.  So must not be too important.

Traveled out, since worked for airlines, and made things easy, more importantly, cheap, or I probably would have never left continental USA.

However, I did tick bungee jumping off my list, and also did it over a lake. Abject terror before jumping, seconds of falling and long minutes hanging upside down before the crane swung me back over land to be released. Never again.

I'd like to ride the Gan in Oz, but I doubt that'll happen.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

I have s few from Phuket also, even knowing about their accidents who they had quite a few of. Wouldn't recommend bungy jumping in Thailand if you do not know the set up, and also know the check points to do. They are pot smoking reckless idiots! 

Disclaimer from that period I did my jumps there. Also done a few in Pattaya, seemed a bit better about routines, and as far I know, no known accidents there, but really do not know much about them, and last time I was there was in 2006.

He survived this jump. A few weeks in hospital

Edited by Hummin

14 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

However, I did tick bungee jumping off my list, and also did it over a lake. Abject terror before jumping, seconds of falling and long minutes hanging upside down before the crane swung me back over land to be released. Never again.

I thought it was great, and forgot it's a big rubber band.  Laughed my a$$ off while bouncing up & down.   I can't look over a 5th floor balcony, without feeling uneasy, so yea, got up there and stupidly looked over the edge and thought, W T F am I doing ?

Then did a nice swan dive ... highly recommend, a great rush.

57857028EZnqTr_ph.jpg

57857072CEUwVo_ph.jpg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 2

Not sure 71 is young.

I think between your 60th to 80th birthday it's a bit of a <deleted> shoot when the lights are gonna go out.

Hopefully by then you've done most of the stuff you wanted to, travel, kids relationships.

If not you're on borrowed time. But don't have kids, that's just gonna deprive them of a Dad in their late teens early adulthood, when they need a Dad most

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You never get to that point in life, if you have real life still within you. If you have no dreams or ambitions left, however trivial, you are basically dead already ,  

The day you find out chasing the dreams is not what it is all about, that's when you find the inner peace, and can appreciate the small things in life! 

Wake up in the morning, enjoy the Coffe, look at the farm, and see things growing and happy animals, beat all the mountains I have climbed and also jumped from, or any other challenges be it just life itself.

It helps to know that you have done it, and also are at a good place in life with somebody you care for.

Life is a rollercoaster, but it needs a drive to get it started, and need somebody to stop it! Up to you

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

You never get to that point in life, if you have real life still within you. If you have no dreams or ambitions left, however trivial, you are basically dead already ,  

Or lived a full life, and just chillin', reflecting how fortunate you were, and enjoying the moment.

I don't think I bounce like I used to, and not willing to risk becoming a statistic, for yet, another cheap thrill.  Besides, anything else I can think of, leans on the very expensive side of the equation.  Expense vs smile factor ... hard to justify, and simply too lazy to bother.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hummin said:

It helps to know that you have done it, and also are at a good place in life with somebody you care for.

Yes, I agree, but I still have dreams and ambitions.  I would feel dead inside without them.  By most standards, my life has been a reasonable success, but I still have stuff to do, to learn and to experience.  maybe not important stuff like before, but still important to my mental well being and  quality of life . 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I would have liked to have traveled on the Trans-Siberian Railway from Moscow to Vladivostok, but that's not possible. My debit cards probably would not work anyway.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

Yes, I agree, but I still have dreams and ambitions.  I would feel dead inside without them.  By most standards, my life has been a reasonable success, but I still have stuff to do, to learn and to experience.  maybe not important stuff like before, but still important to my mental well being and  quality of life . 

Always something to learn, If I got another chance, and also built a bit different, I would study sosiology, religion, history, nature science and biology. 

I admire those who manage to give their life to study such topics. So much to learn, experience and understand. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

I would not change what I studied, science as a career for me was rewarding and enjoyable.

If I had my time over, I daresay I would have paid much closer attention to Australian family law, and adjusted the time of my relationships with women accordingly.

I came to particle physics at mid age, after an exciting and rewarding military career.  I love the total change that I made, the experience of learning and of research.  That never stops and I would be so sad if it did.  I still interact with that Worldwide community, online mostly and I still relish it.  

• Like 2

Sticky Rice - thanks for that comment. Marlee Matlin in 'Children of a lesser God' was amazing but I had no idea that she and Hurt were together - shocking abuse. (Btw I also saw the play in the West End with Trevor Eve and Elizabeth Quinn).

I greatly enjoyed William Hurt's acting in many brilliant films. Anyway R.I.P.

18 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

The dead don't know that they are dead, so its all irrelevant really.  It comes to us all and when it comes, one hopes it will be quick and painless, after that, its just nothing at all, so absolutely nothing to be scared of.  

How do you know there is no life after death? Not to get into an argument over "religion", but common sense is just that. I see you got in to particle physics, the study of the particles that constitute matter. So you understand what matter is, that it's impossible that matter cannot come from nothing, that it had to have a creation. Yes, I'm a Christian, but that's not the only reason I believe God exists. Everything in the universe had to be created, as matter cannot just happen, as you must understand. Why do you say that there is nothing after we die? Just your opinion, because that's all there can be, since we have no proof of life after death besides the few that have died and came back, and their stories, a few from children who couldn't have know a few things they've stated, besides our faith telling us so. Leaving out much of what we've been taught in christian schools or elsewhere, there is no way the universe, with all the intricacies of the brain, things that grow and what they need to survive, the different species of animals,plants and man, the distance from the sun that makes this world possible to thrive, and all else, that it happened from a "big bang", because to have a bang, there had to be matter there already right?

Edited by fredwiggy
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

I would not change what I studied, science as a career for me was rewarding and enjoyable.

If I had my time over, I daresay I would have paid much closer attention to Australian family law, and adjusted the time of my relationships with women accordingly.

I could not sit still at school, but still learned enough to take me through life. Did not need to do homework, since if I had interest I remembered almost word by word. My favorite learning was walking lessons, where the teacher took us out in the forrest instead of sitting in the classrooms.

My life have been mostly extreme sports related, security work after army, offshore work  oil and fishing. Also shorter periods of my life been doing guiding when working for a resort, and teaching sports, kayak, fishing, hiking. Know most ski diciplines invented before 2000, and also a few different skydiving diciplines and base jumping. Also started a few businesses where one failed and one succeded. The last economic crack made a full stop to the first one who was my baby and I could not let go in time, and the other one I let go at once I understood covid would take time. So did not loose everything.

I do not regret anything, because what I have learned and what I have lost or gained, have teached me alot and also made me more aware of my true nature, and now finely I can enjoy my life right now right here. I even do not need to look back and live on what I did before, because I truly enjoy being alive and the small things in life more than ever. 

I also enjoy if I want to know something, it is right here on this little computer, Ipad, phone or tv.

However if I had another shot at life knowing what I know now, I would for sure picked up lifelong studies, and of course used my energy in the nature finding historical places, in the  gym and swimingpools instead.

It is strange to think you had an interesting life, and you meet people who have so much to give, and have not done much in life campare to your self, and how enjoyable life can be just being one place to. Still enjoying travelling and will start working again now, because I want to. 

Someone said once «Less is more» and first time i learned that was while we edited an documentary we had done, and since then almost 20 years back, I have tried to live by it and connected it to other things in life. 

Edited by Hummin
  • Like 1

55 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

How do you know there is no life after death? Not to get into an argument over "religion", but common sense is just that. I see you got in to particle physics, the study of the particles that constitute matter. So you understand what matter is, that it's impossible that matter cannot come from nothing,

From dust to dust, ashes to ashes, the rest is in my opinion a necessery message so people can behave, think twice before doing anything, and also connect people to the messenger by give and take. 

You do what I say, and you will be promissed eternity, you go against me and do not ask for forgivnes, you will burn in hell for ever. 

When you die, its like a broken fuse, no more connection, and we are being rcycled, through offsprings who carry your genes and dna, who carry your anchesters dna and their genes. 

But you my friend will be dead, and recycled like a leaf in the wind

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fredwiggy said:

As is your assumptions. Thinking scientists are always right with their guesses

The first stage for a scientist is to develop a hypothesis, some times no more than a 'thought experiment'.  Einstein was  a master at doing this. Its a 'guess' in your language 

I speak English, and a little of Thai. Hypothesis, an educated guess, an  assumption of a possible truth to go further, was in my vocabulary when I was a child. Again assuming from a few words is a mistake. And thinking there isn't an afterlife can be your worst mistake. A mistake I won't make, no matter the outcome.