Majority want Thailand to open up, Covid to be declared endemic – Thai Enquirer poll

webfact

38 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Yes! Open up!  It's only been deemed almost as contagious as the measles,  also known as the most infectious  disease known to man, so yes, listen to the uneducated and people craving money over safety  and open up.

I remember big poll results about a year ago - overwhelming majority of Thais wanted farangs kept outside the kingdom.   What happened?  Said farangs sobered up and stopped sending money?

• Haha 1

it's english language publication so the majority are foreigners.

Obviously, they are all for opening borders, but majority of thai don't need to travel, are also not dependent on tourism or international trade. Each see their interests differently.

The things they are now (some 100k entered within the first 2 weeks of March) are good enough and would be liberalised every month.

Tourists will have to wait till second part of year, just for summer holidays and for high season after wet monsoon

2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You did read the full article did you?

'Editor’s Note: Over 800 people responded to the online poll but the cross-section of the poll skews heavily towards foreigners and young Thais who speak English which makes up the majority of our audience.

A wider, more comprehensive poll is needed if one were to better gauge the sentiment of the Thai population'.

I agree with you. So just under the number often used in a Dusit Poll that the government use, so with the same credibility.????

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Cabradelmar said:

Why? Everyone has moved on from tourism. Thais don't want those jobs anymore anyway. Have faken other jobs now. Near full employment (~3% unemployment). A labor shortage they claim. Thailand has already reinvented itself. Fewer tourist and cleaner beaches without the scumbag sex tourist. What's not to like. Mask are not an issue for people who wear jackets in 32 degree heat ???? 

Official Thai unemployment rates have always been unrealistic:

image.png.c8597cd9f22ba7058d84353db6aca635.png

https://www.statista.com/statistics/332222/unemployment-rate-in-thailand/

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Moonlover said:

You did read the full article did you?

'Editor’s Note: Over 800 people responded to the online poll but the cross-section of the poll skews heavily towards foreigners and young Thais who speak English which makes up the majority of our audience.

A wider, more comprehensive poll is needed if one were to better gauge the sentiment of the Thai population'.

The broader learning curve thrives among most. 

Polls, surveys, ranking, etc - by their very nature are bogus and make believe.

Alas, the greater percentage are sucked into the the ideals of a poll.......all of which represent little or nothing.

2 hours ago, Cabradelmar said:

Fewer tourist and cleaner beaches without the scumbag sex tourist.

Hey! Some of my best friends are scumbags. Or as I like to call them, guys who never grew up and aren't about to now. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, webfact said:

to open the country by mid-year and declare the disease endemic

I will tell you what happen, after Songkran and the new variants, what is the meaning of Endemic word in a country with 30% unvaccinated or without booster.

Edited by Tarteso

7 hours ago, farangnomore said:

I remember big poll results about a year ago - overwhelming majority of Thais wanted farangs kept outside the kingdom.   What happened?  Said farangs sobered up and stopped sending money?

Then they let them in oct 2021 and they brought the highly contagious variant that is really affecting  the country now.  

• Confused 2
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, daveAustin said:

It’s not just about opening borders though is it. It’s about getting the country moving again; you know, so people can earn and LIVE! More people die per day from any number of things—roads, disease, heart etc, take your pick. You want to lock yourself away for eternity; fine, carry on. Just don’t foist your insecurities on the rest of the world. 

You got it twisted, and your reasoning though is the end goal is the way, but you dont open the door and let the bugs in until you are ready to contain and are able to deal with it.  This country nor any country is ready, and as once again countries like China are locking down cities because  they arent ready or able to manage yet.  But I like your attitude you know, " Damn the torpedoes!, full speed ahead!"  Dont worry about my insecurities  as I been vaccinated,  boosted, and have caught one of the varieties,  and I am retired military  living the good life here, so its not about my finances,  or my safety,  its about the local  nationals who arent getting the medical  or safe practices observed  because of lack of education.   You must think all of Thailand is like Bangkok,  Pattaya or the other tourist traps?  It"s not and its these places that are paying the price for the open when not ready all for money attitude.   By all means when its safe and ready open, but thats not how its been done!

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

10 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Then they let them in oct 2021 and they brought the highly contagious variant that is really affecting  the country now.  

They kept the tourist and people out but in Oct 2921 the started to let the mongers and retirement communities  return and they brought the virus in.  The numbers of infected really started to climb then, and they had kept the numbers low before this action.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, WEBBYB808 said:

They kept the tourist and people out but in Oct 2921 the started to let the mongers and retirement communities  return and they brought the virus in.  The numbers of infected really started to climb then, and they had kept the numbers low before this action.

no, omicron is not a danger, delta was.

the majority of you mongers are thai themselves, they are the majority entering thailand.

Retired in the west are the most vaxed group. They got shots the first. Yes, everybody can get sick, despite vax, but not seriously and not becoming spreaders

• Like 1

9 hours ago, farangnomore said:

They didn't ask many Thais.

Farangs forget that TH belongs to Thais and not to farangs. Thais should decide.

10 hours ago, WEBBYB808 said:

Yes! Open up!  It's only been deemed almost as contagious as the measles,  also known as the most infectious  disease known to man, so yes, listen to the uneducated and people craving money over safety  and open up.

I'd be willing to bet that the ban on serving alcohol saved more lives than the 0.2% decrease the Johns Hopkins study attributes to the lockdowns.

Be careful what you wish for...  The fear mongers may decide to ban alcohol next.  Makes more sense than continuing the lockdowns.

A lot of hot air from all those ministers and know-it-all running the show in this failed state! 

By the time it eventually will have to happen (just prior to a civil war) it will surface, what kind of tremendous collateral damage to tourism they created. Maybe they will hide in exile in Senegal, Mexico or similar - all those places are direct beneficiaries of narrow-minded experts like those running the present soap opera in Bangkok! 

13 hours ago, Seppius said:

No leave it like it is, no hoards of package tourists, no tour buses clogging the roads, empty beaches and silent nights ????

I don't think you have to worry about even if they flung the doors wide open tomorrow.

• Like 1