Tail lights on bikes.

Eaglekott

Hi

Every now and then I get astonished how many bikes out driving in the dark with no tail lights here in Thailand. Seams like some do not even have a break light.

I wonder how many accidents that happen because the driver does not se a bike infront of them in time. 

One time I started to count bikes with no tail lamp when I drove back home from Sukhumvit about 40 minutes drive, and I lost track somewhere between 20 and 30 bikes. I would say you see a few every minute.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Eaglekott said:

I wonder how many accidents that happen because the driver does not se a bike infront of them in time. 

Quite a lot I imagine.... particularly with extremely poor lighting on many of Thailands roads and ridiculous number of un-lit vehicles on the roads. 

Whenever a motorcyclist is hit from the rear at night my first thought is that the rear light was not working and the driver of the car was speeding and drunk !!....

3 minutes ago, worgeordie said:

Risking their lives for the price of a bulb .......25  Baht 

regards worgeordie

I think in most cases they are not even aware that their lamp is broken and no one tells them. I told one guy at our office that his rear lamp was broken and the next day he had fixed it and thanked me for letting him know.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Eaglekott said:

I think in most cases they are not even aware that their lamp is broken and no one tells them. I told one guy at our office that his rear lamp was broken and the next day he had fixed it and thanked me for letting him know.

At night I flash the ones with no lights on, the wife says don't 

do that your wasting your time , and I think she's right ......

plus they all seem to wear dark clothes , and could end up

your fault if you went in the back of one.

regards worgeordie

2 minutes ago, foreverlomsak said:

missing the point, road deaths are all to do with population control, that's why there is no real enforcement of traffic laws, except when it is a good photo opportunity.

Doing a 'bang up' job then, and Darwinism is thinning the herd.

41 minutes ago, JonnyF said:

Yep, you'll often find the geniuses riding them are clad in black clothing as well, just to give you every chance of cleaning them out.

They rarely forget their mask though.

I thought black clothing was mandatory, as light colored clothes shows the blood too easily.

1 hour ago, Eaglekott said:

Every now and then I get astonished how many bikes out driving in the dark with no tail lights here in Thailand. Seams like some do not even have a brake light. 

I've got use to it, they leave indicators on as well. 

You just have to be aware of what goes on here on the roads to stay safe. 

What can do is hand out some old CD's to them to fix on the rear. ????

• Haha 2

Not only the rear/tail lights, many without a front headlight, dark clothes.  And to make things worse my wife got out car's windscreen with dark tint, I told her it's like wearing my sunglasses at night (queue 80's song...555).

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interestingly, the guys in the Thai road cycling clubs around my way in Chonburi all seem to have excellent LED flashing rear lights, but nearly every motorcycle, except the newest LED equipped scooters, seem to have a dead rear light.

I always check the rear light and brake light on my motorcycle when heading out at night - it's easy to check the red glow in the mirrors before you leave home.

• Like 1