Millennials defy social expectations with happy singlehood

snoop1130

1-1647253770-1647253782-9278-1647253788_680x408.jpg

Trang Nhung at the Dien Bien Phu battle site, northern Dien Bien Phu Town. Photo courtesy of Nhung

Preferring freedom to commitment, fearing an unhappy marriage or simply enjoying the moment, some young people defy social expectations by staying unattached.

Trang Nhung does not remember how many times her aunt has urged her parents to investigate why, at the age of 35, she has not ever dated anyone or feels anxious about that.

Nhung understands that from her aunt’s perspective she must be leading a very miserable life.

Full Story: https://e.vnexpress.net/news/trend/millennials-defy-social-expectations-with-happy-singlehood-4437408.html

vne_international.jpg
-- © Copyright VN Express 2022-03-15

Well I am older than the hills themselves and I would like to tell her aunt that since I separated from my wife I have never been happier. I am great fiends with my ex and still "love" her in some ways but being single at my age has been one of the best things that has happened to me.

I have the freedom to do what I want to do whether I exercise it or not. I am old enough not to have an interest in the Thai tart scene or getting in any relationship again. Your life is the only thing you will ever truly own, live it however you want and chop and change as your whims desire.

Edited by Whale
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Doctor Tom said:

I'm not really surprised, as nowadays they can't even recognize, or acknowledge, what gender they, or anyone they meet, 'identifies as', whatever that phrase means.  Must be very confusing for the poor little snowflakes. 

Except it is entirely about the fact they usually came from poverty, now have it better if remaining single but otherwise getting trapped again for life too. Aside of the country now being more modern by the year as well much more open / options.

If they do become a couple without marriage or kids, they both earn 20K but keep living in a 3K room and drive a motorbike, they live a pretty comfortable life. If taking marriage + kids, one works less, it is right away back to survival mode.

Those with money usually still marry with a expensive party as well get kids. They do not have to worry about costs of a car, one partner working, international school. Marriage paid in cash, a house and car too, no loans or debts. No needing to help the family, being helped.

Edited by ChaiyaTH