Thailand's electric vehicle sector to see demand surge amid strong oil prices: DBS

webfact

4 hours ago, webfact said:

MORE affordable electric vehicle (EV) prices as well as rising crude oil and petroleum prices are set to prompt a surge in EV demand in Thailand, according to DBS Group Research.

:coffee1:

1 hour ago, bert bloggs said:

Best of luck finding a charger if you have one, never actually seen one  here in Thailand

They are around, Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Index and even saw one at K Stadium football Pitch off Pattaya Klang.

Some hotels have them, even heard the 'Outback' by the lake had them/ considering them. But yes, not widespread at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, sungod said:

They are around, Bangkok Pattaya Hospital, Index and even saw one at K Stadium football Pitch off Pattaya Klang.

Some hotels have them, even heard the 'Outback' by the lake had them/ considering them. But yes, not widespread at the moment.

Here's a map showing locations in Bangkok and vicinity from a charger provider called EA anywhere

image.png.a0b07e187d267958dd4cec0a69b5673a.png

https://www.eaanywhere.com/maps

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, placeholder said:
44 minutes ago, sungod said:

Here's a map showing locations in Bangkok and vicinity from a charger provider called EA anywhere

That's a long way to go for @sungod who's entire world revolves around Pattaya?

At present, since few EVs on the road, I don't think charging is an issue.

Initial outlay to buy the EV, may be a stretch for some, or like myself, justifying the added price tag considering one's driving habits.

ICE (Celerio) starts at ฿330k.   Can't get much of an EV for that. 

Tinker car EV (Wuling) starts at ฿400k and limited to local driving only.

฿900k for Ora Good Cat

฿1m for MG EP

29 minutes ago, WorriedNoodle said:

That's a long way to go for @sungod who's entire world revolves around Pattaya?

The guy saying he had not seen EV charging points lives in Pattaya, didn't think it useful to mention any points in Chiang Mai for example,

Besides, I drive a diesel..............

• Like 1

In 2020 only 10% of Thailand's electricity was from renewable sources. 14% was imported and the remaining approx 75% from fossil fuels.  Factor in generation, energy conversion and transmission/charging losses and an EV in Thailand is probably burning more fossil fuel per km travelled than an equivalent ICE.  Until renewable energy generation is massively expanded its probably LPG and CNG that are cleanest means of propulsion.

• Thanks 1

Just now, HauptmannUK said:

In 2020 only 10% of Thailand's electricity was from renewable sources. 14% was imported and the remaining approx 75% from fossil fuels.  Factor in generation, energy conversion and transmission/charging losses and an EV in Thailand is probably burning more fossil fuel per km travelled than an equivalent ICE.  Until renewable energy generation is massively expanded its probably LPG and CNG that are cleanest means of propulsion.

It terms of energy supply it is critical that the Thais do not go down the road of nuclear!!!!

4 minutes ago, sungod said:

The guy saying he had not seen EV charging points lives in Pattaya, didn't think it useful to mention any points in Chiang Mai for example,

Besides, I drive a diesel..............

Can't find them if you don't look for them.  I notice them, and not even looking for them.

As I pulled into a vendor last night, someone was hooking up to one, then strolling away, to get a munch I believe.  OK, it was a MG dealer ????.  Wanted to get a new price sheet for 2022 EVs, and they closed at 1700, this at 1730, mind boggling.  Gate open for charging access.

Last hotel I stayed at, had 3 on the parking level I parked on, 1 was in use.  Last mall I visited had a few on level I parked, none in use.

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

As I pulled into a vendor last night, someone was hooking up to one, then strolling away, to get a munch I believe. 

Hooking the motor up and getting a 'munch' at a 'Gentleman's club' could be a massive selling point.

Thanks for the idea!

12 minutes ago, HauptmannUK said:

18% from coal

Imported is natural gas & hydro, probably

Oil so low, it doesn't even get a # %

image.png.6ccf645a75e1c22e0ec63b1a19b31c1a.png

I can't even guarantee that my aircons and fans will stay running on any one given day, or that fluctuations in supply will not wreck yet another computer, never mind have my car reliant on Thai Electricity.  It's a no from me.  I will stick to petrol.  

1 minute ago, KhunLA said:

18% from coal

Imported is natural gas & hydro, probably

Oil so low, it doesn't even get a # %

image.png.6ccf645a75e1c22e0ec63b1a19b31c1a.png

GWh is a unit of energy......nothing to do with you.....but I find it surprising how often people presenting this kind of stuff get things mixed up.

3 minutes ago, Doctor Tom said:

I can't even guarantee that my aircons and fans will stay running on any one given day, or that fluctuations in supply will not wreck yet another computer, never mind have my car reliant on Thai Electricity.  It's a no from me.  I will stick to petrol.  

Just looking into buying a small generator....if we lose our aircon I'll have to sit in the car all night.

• Haha 1

Most Robinson "Lifestyle Centres" have charging stations these days, with my local one in Surin highlighted.  Many MG dealers also have them.  I currently don't have an electric car, but there's a strong probability that the next one I buy will be.  Many have a range of over 450km these days, with the Mercedes EQS having an independently tested range of 780km, and fast charging times to go with it - from 10% to 80% capacity in around 30 minutes.  What is now required is for condos to add charging stations, along with hotels.  I could easily install a solar powered point at my house up country, but my condo building in Bangkok doesn't have them, so I'd be forced to take the car out for charging at present.

Robinson สุรินทร์ - DC Fast Electric Car Charging - Robinson สุรินทร์ ชั้นที่ 1F เลขที่ 338 หมู่ที่ 16 ต.สลักได อ.เมือง จ.สุรินทร์ 32000 - Shopping Center - PlugShare

Top 10 longest range electric cars 2022 | Auto Express

image.png.c46cf82583b8e7c3804bc30f76f190a2.png

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tonray said:

This will work best at first as 'city' cars for shopping and local errands. Install charging port in your driveway and could work...but for long trips right now their utility is somewhat limited given the lack of charging infrastructure. I only use the car for local shopping and errands mainly...for me, if there were some financial incentives on purchase (rebate, etc) I could see my next car going EV.

I agree, 95% of all of my driving is in less than 50 kn from my house, I would not mind having and EV, and at some point I probably will. I certainly would if we had two cars.