Thai companies have a moral decision to make

webfact

11 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

What moral dilemma?

People actually think Ukraine is some innocent country?  I guess those who only watch TV and follow the latest trends do.  Two corrupt countries at war is nothing to be involved with.  Let God sort those two out.

No. One corrupt country has invaded and begun to devastate another corrupt country, murdering thousands and laying waste to it.. And not because it wanted to prevent corruption in the country it invaded.

52 minutes ago, Mr Derek said:

Donbass is de facto Russian soil as it contains a majority of Russian people. Ukraine has been attacking it for the last ten years. Wake up.

Last time I checked the borders, Donbas was Ukrainian territory. Not sure what 'De Facto' means in this context.....your premise that because the majority of people are Russian does not change that....any more than the number of Arabs in Israel changes that to an Arab Country.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, mikebell said:

This is an oxymoron; Thai business and morals should never be linked.

Why they are not so firm in their moral as other country/ies?

For instance, didn't we lately read that Venezuela (one of the rogue states) was approached to renew the oil supplies, even if Maduro was not so democratically elected as his challenger Guido?

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Last time I checked the borders, Donbas was Ukrainian territory. Not sure what 'De Facto' means in this context.....your premise that because the majority of people are Russian does not change that....any more than the number of Arabs in Israel changes that to an Arab Country.

Likewise, the international community also does not mind when the number of Arabs are daily shot at and their houses are demolished...

15 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

What moral dilemma?

People actually think Ukraine is some innocent country?  I guess those who only watch TV and follow the latest trends do.  Two corrupt countries at war is nothing to be involved with.  Let God sort those two out.

What is this god thing?

15 hours ago, TooMuchTime said:

What moral dilemma?

Oh my. So you're the guy who sees a criminal adult beating up on an <deleted>-hat kid and thinks "fine, not my problem".

Thankfully I'm an atheist and don't have your sky-daddy morality.

Companies have very little morality. They only respond to government imposed restrictions and customer boycotts. 

As to who is right and wrong in this war, well the Ukrainian President was ousted in 2014 after violent crackdowns on protests - by his own countries MP's. This was because the president wanted to move away from closer ties with the EU back to closer ties with Russia. The President had more support in the East of Ukraine, but not in the whole country. The war started 3 weeks later not in 2022 - Putin invaded Crimea.

He followed up by fomenting a rebellion in the East in Luhansk and Donetsk provinces - supported by Russian weapons and, unofficially, soldiers. They were never elected. After some initial success, they were pushed back until tanks and SAM missiles  were provided. A ceasefire was agreed in 2015, but has been repeatedly broken, mainly by the separatists who kept trying to seize more land from Ukraine. How much local support the separatists had has never really been determined, or true free elections held.

The 2022 invasion is just the 3rd phase of this war. The fact that Russians have not been welcomed with open arms even in predominantly Russian speaking areas, and the fact that many of the cities being bombed and shelled have large Russian populations, shows that this war has nothing to do with liberating Russian people.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Things could be about to change. It has been reported today that the Chinese Ambassador to Ukraine came out with a statement supporting Ukraine and that the Russian Foreign Minister on his way to China turned around mid flight back to Moscow. I haven't seen this on mainstream news channels as yet  but if this is true you may see stronger views in Thailand. ????

Thailand would do well to continue on a neutral course as they do in the moment.

If the West needs enemies for their military industrial complex to survive and someone like Putin to blame for self inflicted economic disaster and inflation, so be it. Thailand does not. Stay neutral and the future will thank you.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thanks 1