Thailand’s liquor vendors want 2-5pm alcohol sales ban revoked

snoop1130

11 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sixteen entertainment establishments are calling on the government to scrap a law, introduced by a military junta in 1972, which bans the sale of alcoholic beverages between 2pm and 5pm.

I hope this goes through, it's ridiculous that for 3 hours no sales are permitted.

They should have a new proposal.. sales of alcohol between 12pm [midday] and 2am for all establishments, restaurants, bars pubs etc

Certified and licensed clubs can stay open to 4am

5 minutes ago, 4MyEgo said:

I don't own a credit card, personal choice for what's it's worth, that said, the particular beer that I buy is about 2 x 330ml bottles cheaper at Makro than the local bottle shop, so I figure why pay for example 680 baht, when I can buy it for 600 baht, 2 free 330ml bottles for me.

The above said, I will buy 2 cases at a time as Makro is an hours drive for me and those 2 cases will last me 6 weeks, believe it or not, yes I am a slow drinker as I respect my liver, laugh if you like, but have seen a few too many go by the waste side from that thing we all enjoy too much, for me, its enjoyment by moderation. 

That's a good saving, every little bit helps. 

These days I'm a believer in respecting your liver. 

Over the years I've sat in a bar with mates talking for hours and hours. I look back and wish I'd just had a few beers for an hour or so and go home. 

If you can manage your drinking, in moderation there's nothing better than a cold beer on a hot day (any day in Thailand). 

• Like 2

It is a failed state. Selling and consuming = not same same. 

This is yet another dinosaur law, enforced for the sake of power guarding the bureaucrats while allowing the boys in uniform to cream off the regular tolls for the law breakers. In all honesty, except the supermarkets and (formerly) international chains like Makro, Big C/Carrefour, Lotus's/Tesco etc. nobody cares; every Mom&Pop shop sells what they have. 

But what do you expect from a country banning beer drinking along the beach, smoking at the same beach being fined with 100,000 Baht and (at least) Phuket fined a retiree couple from Germany breaking the law of no beach chairs along the beach. 

Give me a break, has anybody in this administration of clowns and cheaters a clue - honestly? 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

When shopping at Big C, Tesco etc. Its really annoying when you get to the checkout at 2.05pm and they remove it from the belt and say NO ALCOHOL (with a smile).

I reckon, sometimes they enjoy saying that to foreigners.

It's really annoying that when I plan to restock my beer supply have to arrange my shopping time to fit in with this bizarre law.

Edited by Bangkok Barry

Once upon a long time ago my native UK had exactly the same restriction, brought in during WW2 to prevent munitions workers having accidents and killing themself. Then, decades ago, the UK realised the war was over and removed the law. These days Thais have many ways of killing themselves, and often do, and the only munitions they use are to kill former partners or their mother for not giving them money to buy drugs. So banning alcohol sales has no purpose at all other than government control.

• Like 1

The only question is if the law is outdated and no longer fulfills a meaningful purpose and should therefore be reviewed. If that is the case, there is no point in keeping it. It is not a question of convenience. Simply, does it fulfill the purpose today for which is was originally intended? Personally, I doubt it is a useful law, society has changed a lot since then. 

For example both oral sex (and anal sex) was illegal in Singapore up until 2007. The law changed in 2007, to allow it between consenting heterosexual individuals.

There are parallels.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, IamNoone88 said:

For example both oral sex (and anal sex) was illegal in Singapore up until 2007. The law changed in 2007, to allow it between consenting heterosexual individuals.

There are parallels.

There are.... like not permitted before 11am?

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

When shopping at Big C, Tesco etc. Its really annoying when you get to the checkout at 2.05pm and they remove it from the belt and say NO ALCOHOL (with a smile).

Every time that happens to me, I just smile back and walk away without a word, leaving the basket of half-checked goods behind me.   He who has the last laugh . . .

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

In our Isaan town we have a BigC, Tesco and any number of mini versions as well as some 5 x 7Elevens all subject to this draconian law! They are all surrounded by Mom and Pop shops and some VERY big variety stores all selling alcohol any time day and night as well as Budda Days, makes a mockery of the whole thing!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Growing up in the UK this was normal, but about 30 years ago the UK dropped the law, quite rightly. I have heard (I'm not saying it's a fact) that the law in the UK was implemented to prevent bomb makers in WWII from taking their eye off the job at hand that might result in horrific results. And that Thailand just copied the UK... but of course the UK saw sense after a while, which Thailand hasn't yet.

The OP says it's 50 years old here, but I remember the Interior Minister under Thaksin bringing it (back) in, or at least enforcing it. Because for sure 18-23 years ago it was never an issue in any shops.

My mates Thai wife in the UK was refused a bottle of alcohol spirit or wine (can't remember) in a supermarket as she didn't look 21 when in fact she was 34, she was reduced to tears as she thought it was prejudice to Asian. 21 is/was the age in UK supermarkets for some reason 7years ago.

• Haha 1

56 minutes ago, IAMHERE said:

That alcohol sales law doesn't do what it is designed to do. Why keep a law that is flawed? TiT, where progress is in your future.

All Thai laws are designed to benefit the police in their enforcement of them. Only laws that reward them are enforced.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

My mates Thai wife in the UK was refused a bottle of alcohol spirit or wine (can't remember) in a supermarket as she didn't look 21 when in fact she was 34, she was reduced to tears as she thought it was prejudice to Asian. 21 is/was the age in UK supermarkets for some reason 7years ago.

I always thought it was 18 for all! Is 21 chosen to theoretically remove ambiguity?

12 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Sixteen entertainment establishments are calling on the government to scrap a law, introduced by a military junta in 1972, which bans the sale of alcoholic beverages between 2pm and 5pm.

why ?, that would be a sensible concept that is too difficult to grasp

It's a stupid law. The only people who really suffer are the likes of 7-11, Tesco etc. since we all know you can simply go to a Mom and Pop shop to buy your beer between 2-5 or sit happily in a pub all afternoon getting wasted on lovely draught beer and quite often this quiet afternoon period is happy hour as well.

Given who owns 711 and Tesco (Lotus's), I am amazed the law has lasted so long. Maybe they haven't offered enough 'incentive' to remove it yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 2long said:

Growing up in the UK this was normal, but about 30 years ago the UK dropped the law, quite rightly. I have heard (I'm not saying it's a fact) that the law in the UK was implemented to prevent bomb makers in WWII from taking their eye off the job at hand that might result in horrific results. And that Thailand just copied the UK... but of course the UK saw sense after a while, which Thailand hasn't yet.

The OP says it's 50 years old here, but I remember the Interior Minister under Thaksin bringing it (back) in, or at least enforcing it. Because for sure 18-23 years ago it was never an issue in any shops.

You are correct.  It was one of the more ridiculous things done during Thaksin's time in office.  It needs to be abolished along with some of the other stupid things done during his tenure like the 90-day check-in for non-Thais.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I always thought it was 18 for all! Is 21 chosen to theoretically remove ambiguity?

You are correct but they do have a "challenge 25" policy if you don't look 25 then you may not be 18.  I just googled it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Last time I was there, if you 'look' less than 25 (I think) they are permitted to ask.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

They have cameras on them and can loose their job....   dont take it out on the staff...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, jacko45k said:

And I think the checkout computer blocks the sale too. 

Such a serious setup over silliness.....  wouldnt it be more productive to put the energy into something useful?

Most laws are not legislated for convenience.  Most laws are put in place to discourage an undesired activity or encourage a desired activity.  Some laws are not well thought out and have unintended consequences or become outdated.  While that may well be the case with the 2-5 alcohol ban, does anyone here actually know the original intent of this law?  Once we know for sure, it will be easier to debate the merits of the law or whether is should be repealed.

3 minutes ago, Marvest said:

Most laws are not legislated for convenience.  Most laws are put in place to discourage an undesired activity or encourage a desired activity.  Some laws are not well thought out and have unintended consequences or become outdated.  While that may well be the case with the 2-5 alcohol ban, does anyone here actually know the original intent of this law?  Once we know for sure, it will be easier to debate the merits of the law or whether is should be repealed.

Thats a very good question, and in my 11 years of visits and 11 years living here, never heard a decent reasoning of this.....  main argument is the silly answer of protecting school kids from drinking in the afternoon.....  how can anyone say this with a straight face....  also, whats more annoying is when you are morning shopping and have to wait for 1100... yeah I am really sweating on getting plastered at 1000 ???   jeez..... no brain no pain....

11 hours ago, Moonlover said:

They remove the offending items because the register will reject them anyway

I'm not sure about rejection or I reckon it can be over ridden. 

Soi 9 jomtien Beach 7-Eleven are very strict on alcohol selling times, it's annoying but I can get around this by shopping at the Thai convenience store. 

Anyway, when there are events, Jet Ski World Cup etc they sell alcohol any time.

One Friday, I was shopping in this 7-Eleven I saw people buying beer around 3pm, I questioned this and they replied its an event weekend so they sell. 

2 hours ago, 2long said:

Yes, I remember that too.  I remember I was shocked I couldn't get a beer about 4:00pm at a shopping mall in Bangkok.  It was the first, and not the last time, I had a beer in a coffee mug.????

Edited by LivingNThailand
grammer
  • Like 1

52 minutes ago, Joules said:

Every time that happens to me, I just smile back and walk away without a word, leaving the basket of half-checked goods behind me.   He who has the last laugh . . .

That's one way to punish the people who made this inconvenient law.  Be damned if the vendor follows it.  So what next?  You go to a different market and start your shopping over, and still don't get your liquor?  Win-win!  Or should I say laugh-laugh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, soi3eddie said:

Here's a street view of the 7-11 and school in Hua Hin. Don't think it's higher-ed. Maybe rules interpreted differently by certain juristictions? I asked staff and they told me because of the school. That's what they said (and they definitely did not have any alcohol displays).

I think sometimes it's up to the owner of the 7-11.  I noticed here in Phuket some of the 7-11s that are near Mosques don't sell beer.  And there is one next to a gas station that doesn't sell it.  So maybe it's just the owners decision??  Just guessing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jacko45k said:

How about the pre-11 am limit? Would like to pick up the odd cans or case doing my early morning shop!

Yes, annoying.  I like to shop early, especially during covid days, less people.    I was in Bali years ago and was trying to find some wine to take on a boat trip.  It was early in the day and all the store clerks look at me like I was a total alcoholic and deranged.  I think they thought I was going to get plastered at 9:00am.   When I finally found a wine shop it was $60 a bottle ????????  Talk about high duty.  ☹️  I just gave up.   Had a few Bintangs instead.

Edited by LivingNThailand
add
  • Thanks 1