Thailand drops pre-departure RT-PCR tests for overseas arrivals, allows Songkran celebrations

snoop1130

13 hours ago, Enzian said:

But won't one's airline of choice require some kind of test result in order to get a boarding pass? And won't airlines differ in this regard depending on where one is coming from and where one is going? And which airline.

good question

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Hahaha.....more people will come without knowing if they are infected and will be declared infected once they are here...hence more money with Hospital/tel scam.....Wrong diagnosis and wrong prescription.

Exactly... let un-tested people travel here and nail them as the enter and test positive...

smart move.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Pretty clear they arent interested in reviving Tourism en masse.

Just cashing in on those few who do..most of which have family or work connections.

Shoddy way to treat regular contributors to their economy but not a surprise given their form.

Tada Thailand for the forseeable.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, DezLez said:

And get sent to hospital on arrival after a false positive, the costs of which your insurance will probably not cover.

If that was me, all my money would be in the UK, so they would get nothing.

8 hours ago, wadsy said:

There was a media report a couple of days ago outlining the gradual removal of all restrictions and by July it was suggested it was to be back to normal, no test and go, no PCR/RAT on arrival or on day five. Hopefully that will be the case.

and no insurance scams, come on all you protesters, maybe soon be time to come and help get rid of the Banana Republic of Thailands circus of clowns and midgets that they call a government.

6 hours ago, SooKee said:

You're taking the comment out of context.

Firstly it's a get out clause for for those who think that the insurance company MUST cover it.

Secondly it was a get out clause for the insurance companies when this incarceration policy first hit and a great many people thought their policies WOULD cover them because it was new to everyone, including the insurance companies who, if they can avoid paying, they will.

Regardless, the list of clauses in any insurance document that indicate what is not covered are just that, get out clauses, whatever anyone thinks they should be called.

Knowing what we know now though, what anyone thinks about whether the policy is fair or not is totally irrelevant; as I said it helps to read the comments in context rather than as a stand alone bitch against insurance companies which it clearly isn't ????  Attention to detail and all that.  It wasn't a post to discuss exclusion clauses or the fairness of insurance policies!

Well, misunderstanding what your insurance policy covers and blindly thinking that it will cover what you want it to cover, seems foolish to me.

the terminology you used of a “get out” clause immediately places your post into the context of bashing insurance companies, (whom I personally dislike with a passion btw).  The term “get out clause” implies a slightly underhand way to avoid responsibility. It isn’t a “get out” clause, it’s simply that the policy doesn’t cover care that isn’t medically required. The fact that people may not understand that is immaterial to the implication of the terminology used in your post.

Edited by wensiensheng

2 hours ago, Devlin said:

I’m currently in Thailand under Test and Go. Had my pre-Departure PCR test,  endured the tedium and expense of the 1 night quarantine and PCR test. I’ve been handed a Lateral flow kit for my 5 night test, but apparently this is just for my info, there’s no requirement or instruction to record the result anywhere! 

My wife just recently completed it at Novotel in Pathum Thani.

PCR test was negative.

On checkout was given an ATK in a plastic bag for day 5 with clear instructions to either upload the result to Mor Chana app, but if not possible, to take a photo of.the result and email it to the hotel where you stayed.

We did the latter.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, zyphodb said:

And then they'll lock you up until you do pay...

If they did that it would soon be known all over the world, and what would that do to The Thailand government with headlines all over the worlds newspapers and media?

It is bad enough now, but with near neighbouring countries opening up, and Thailand eventually having to join them, who is going to come to a country who has tourists in jail because they wouldn't, or couldn't pay an extortionate fee to keep themselves out of hospital on covid technicalities.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, JayClay said:

If that's the case then you should find it easy to provide a link to such a policy. Here is your chance to be a true hero, because nobody else on this forum has access to this information you hold and there are many of us who are extremely keen to buy such a policy.

My Thai insurance pays quarantine in hospital but not in hotel, i.e. with symptoms cost probably covered, without symptoms cost probably depending on hotel comfort.

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Yes, it looks decent on paper, but given Thailand's (justifiable or not) reputation for banging people up on arrival, I reckon anyone coming would test preflight anyway for reassurance.  

As long as there's a post arrival test I'll certainly be pre-flight testing. The €130 is a worthwhile insurance policy. They do it here just ahead of a flight if you're willing to fork out.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, baboon said:

Yes, it looks decent on paper, but given Thailand's (justifiable or not) reputation for banging people up on arrival, I reckon anyone coming would test preflight anyway for reassurance.  

Reassurance?? The first time I used the temperature thingy to go into Tesco, it registered 38, when I registered again in the same place 30mins later, it was 36.

Last week I stayed overnight in a hotel and registered 37, a short time later it was 36. There is always the chance that any testing you get at the airport or wherever could give a false positive.

17 hours ago, Klonko said:

In addition to a voluntarily pre-flight Covid test I would also voluntarily wear a FFP2-mask if the next passenger is sitting with less than 1½m distance to me.

Still better than nothing. The aircraft recirculated the air, its the riskiest part of the journey.

• Confused 1

34 minutes ago, BusyB said:

As long as there's a post arrival test I'll certainly be pre-flight testing. The €130 is a worthwhile insurance policy. They do it here just ahead of a flight if you're willing to fork out.

You could also do one or more ATK tests while on the aircraft enroute  to show if your post-arrival should PCR differ.

18 hours ago, DezLez said:

This is back to front. 

Keep the pre departure test so you know you are fit to travel and scrap the arrival test so you are not concerned with a false positive ruining everything.

Only back to front for a certain mindset.

• Sad 1