How Easy is it to get a FIRST CLASS EDUCATION....Locally? (Compared to What?)

Schools anywhere are glorified baby sitters

What children learn at home is what is important

Children learn to learn at home & from there all things are possible especially today

One thing that may claim to be learnt at schools is peer interaction & truthfully many children

were mentally/emotionally broken at a young age due to it. Perhaps it would be better to save that till a bit more centered

• Like 1

For some reason, we are talking apples and eggs, here, and you do not get my meaning, for some strange reason.

I am talking about getting a decent education, by age 18.

You know, something like you might get at Phillips Exeter Academy, for example.  But, not really.

I am talking lesser known schools like The Hill School in Pottstown, or the very Shady Side Academy.

Most schools are garbage.

Or, not really.

In fact, most students should not be in school.

Instead, they should just be robots.

And, we know how to program robots, do we not?

Most likely, your children are robots, I would guess.

images.jpg.b6e6a57800775ad80e906e04f3847e79.jpg

19 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

You know, something like you might get at Phillips Exeter Academy, for example. 

You mean preppy snobs?

My kid is at a good Thai school, actually a 99% Buddhist Catholic School and more expensive than most Thai schools but not near the price of International Schools. Judging by her English homework given by a Thai teacher, there is some lack, but through that she can learn that not all teachers are perfect or brilliant. 

I think the most important thing she learns there is to be polite/kind/studious 

I had the choice and chose to have her educated here, in the society that she will live in. Much of that choice was that she will be near and regularly involved with a large loving family and that will give her tremendous security as she goes through life. 

A friend who brought his child back to USA for education, is now a single parent w/all the issues and expenses that entails. His kid is smart but has behavioral issues and resides in what I consider a dangerous [for children] society. 

Education is a combination of everything a child is exposed to... not just in the classroom. 

I suppose it depends on the parents. Not only what type of education they want for their children, but also what they can afford.

Besides temple and government schools teaching a Thai curriculum, there are many International schools here, both good and bad. All teaching according to various internationally recognised curriculums: US, European, UK etc. Some with amazing facilities, far better than I ever had at grammar school in the 70's.

If you have the money, I have read (although it may be wrong) that the two best ones are Pattana and NIST. Both in Bangkok.

We are very happy with the education our little one is receiving in a small international school. More importantly, she loves it there and looks forward to going each day.

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

If I have provided you with your greatest amusement of this day, just by posting two lines on the Farang Pub, then.......

Never said it was amusing. If you are amused by people who post contradictions, that´s ok. I get sad when I see them.

44 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

You mean preppy snobs?

My kid is at a good Thai school, actually a 99% Buddhist Catholic School and more expensive than most Thai schools but not near the price of International Schools. Judging by her English homework given by a Thai teacher, there is some lack, but through that she can learn that not all teachers are perfect or brilliant. 

I think the most important thing she learns there is to be polite/kind/studious 

I had the choice and chose to have her educated here, in the society that she will live in. Much of that choice was that she will be near and regularly involved with a large loving family and that will give her tremendous security as she goes through life. 

A friend who brought his child back to USA for education, is now a single parent w/all the issues and expenses that entails. His kid is smart but has behavioral issues and resides in what I consider a dangerous [for children] society. 

Education is a combination of everything a child is exposed to... not just in the classroom. 

OK.

Just please keep in mind that mentors and teachers are more important, for the future success of a student, than parents, by a long shot.

14 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Dementia is bliss, these days.

You know, I have wondered about that... but falling into dementia, the long drawn out process, is hell on earth... my father had practiced responses that he would would go over and over to memorize to fool his doctors... 

but can there be real bliss for someone who is a burden on their family and society? 

10 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

OK.

Just please keep in mind that mentors and teachers are more important, for the future success of a student, than parents, by a long shot.

But, how many students find a decent teacher mentor these days? or ever? I never had a teacher that I felt close to and if my niece did, I would probably be suspicious... 

Not that all parents are mentors either but a good parent will not only teach but give the added security of love and caring... 

Actually, I think we need to ask ourselves concerning how effectively our schools teach the STEM subjects.

What once, in the past, seemed to be an adequate education, up to age 18, is no longer adequate.

These days, without a very rigorous science curriculum, then the student will not be adequately prepared for his or her future.

Just as an example: Cas9 protein

What is Cas9?

Why is it important?

And, is there a better substitute for Cas9, which is already in use, today?

Of course, I know you know what Cas9 might be.  However, some of our young students do not.

And they need to know things like this, in order for them to prepare themselves for their future careers in Law, Science, Government, and much more.

You know that I am right about this.

Right?

16 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

But, how many students find a decent teacher mentor these days? or ever? I never had a teacher that I felt close to and if my niece did, I would probably be suspicious... 

Not that all parents are mentors either but a good parent will not only teach but give the added security of love and caring... 

Good mentors are difficult to find....for anyone.

Good teachers are also difficult to find, simply because there are not enough of them.

If you wish to know more about mentoring, resilience, and ways to help students, then please contact this teacher from Harvard College, University of Oxford, University of Pennsylvania...    

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Duckworth

U of P?

Yeah, great.

My kids spent did the majority of their schooling at an international school here and I think it was good, better than I got as a kid (but my education was free, if my employer here had not ponied up most of the funding I doubt it would have been so good).

I have a different view of university level education though and they both completed this in the UK. I think their university education was much better and rigorous in the UK as well as helping them to become "normal" adults with a sense of what the world really is, outside this wierd cultural Thai setting, and how to interact better with all kinds of people - taught them to be savvy and self reliant. I don't think the rigours of a Thai university education are rigours, I dont know anyone who has failed but my kids always thought they were going to fail in the UK because it was demanding.

Both of them have now made lives outside of Thailand and don't envisage coming back. A pity because I think they could slay it here as bilingual fluent speakers.

5 minutes ago, 1FinickyOne said:

Wharton Class of '72 here... 

so, if good mentors/teachers are hard to find, then it really is not much of a consideration... 

Interesting.

Then, your building was fairly close to the quadrangle.

And so, then, you will appreciate the work of Duckworth, that much more.

Duckworth is a star, these days.

What is your name to fame?

Are you just another quant?

• Haha 1

Basically, good education is really hard to find.

Forget international schools if it likely your child will stay in Thailand: they'll just end up being stuck in some kind of communication, hospitality, or English teaching job -- cos all their education is in English; how can they do anything else in Thailand? Forget sitting an entrance exam (in Thai) to medical school, for example.

And most international schools are garbage, even the ones charging a few hundred thousand a year. You have to spend a lot more than that. Even then it only makes sense if your kid will move abroad.

There are few good Thai schools as well and they can be divided into two categories: the academic and the elite.

To get into the academic schools you gotta be a straight A student. Simple as that. They are not pricey.

To get into the elite schools, you gotta be connected, cos you get in based on alumni connection or some other connection. They are not very expensive either.

You could try offeing an unusually large donation as an outsider at an elite school and this is probably your best chance of getting your kid a good Thai education in Thailand if they don't have the grades for a proper academic school.

All the best international schools and (even some of the crappy ones) charge a big "entrance fee" and so do the best Thai schools, though it's more hush hush and in donation form.

Edited by 2009

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Interesting.

Then, your building was fairly close to the quadrangle.

And so, then, you will appreciate the work of Duckworth, that much more.

Duckworth is a star, these days.

Which Duckworth are you rambling on about Vera or Lewis  ?

6 minutes ago, Whale said:

My kids spent did the majority of their schooling at an international school here and I think it was good, better than I got as a kid (but my education was free, if my employer here had not ponied up most of the funding I doubt it would have been so good).

I have a different view of university level education though and they both completed this in the UK. I think their university education was much better and rigorous in the UK as well as helping them to become "normal" adults with a sense of what the world really is, outside this wierd cultural Thai setting, and how to interact better with all kinds of people - taught them to be savvy and self reliant. I don't think the rigours of a Thai university education are rigours, I dont know anyone who has failed but my kids always thought they were going to fail in the UK because it was demanding.

Both of them have now made lives outside of Thailand and don't envisage coming back. A pity because I think they could slay it here as bilingual fluent speakers.

Maybe they want to be a part of New York, New York.  And, who can blame them?

Maybe they want to wake up in a city that does not sleep, top of the heap?

Maybe, they will slay it there.

So many try, and so many fail.

Still, there is always hope.

25 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Precisely so, and for good reason.

I mean the only positives I can think of regarding this is that a 35 year old Thai woman typically looks about 25 and is willing to date a 60 year old.

But them being mentally and emotionally maturer than their physical appearance doesn't come into it; they are pretty much adolescents in the mind until...well...I haven't seen much evidence they ever leave adolescent mentality behind.

The younger educated ones are different though. Pick up a mid 20s bird who had a good education and she'll be maturer than you are at 40.

But the farmyard variety of female that most of us only have direct access to will always have the maturity of an adolescent.

Edited by 2009

12 minutes ago, 2009 said:

I mean the only positives I can think of regarding this is that a 35 year old Thai woman typically looks about 25 and is willing to date a 60 year old.

But them being mentally and emotionally maturer than their physical appearance doesn't come into it; they are pretty much adolescents in the mind until...well...I haven't seen much evidence they ever leave adolescent mentality behind.

The younger educated ones are different though. Pick up a mid 20s bird who had a good education and she'll be maturer than you are at 40.

But the farmyard variety of female that most of us only have direct access to will always have the maturity of an adolescent.

"Pick up a mid 20s bird who had a good education and she'll be maturer than you are at 40."

What?

This is the strangest utterance I have encountered on the Farang Pub, in almost a decade.

Still...

Thank you for it!

4 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

What?

This is the strangest utterance I have encountered on the Farang Pub, in almost a decade.

Maybe you should re read your other posts, they are certainly strange to most of us on here

• Like 1

6 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

AIT, for example.

And others.

I took a look at their website not impressive in terms of the campus, teachers or program... we must have different criteria for a good school.

As an example maybe i missed it but where are a choice of foreign languages such as Mandarin and French or Spanish?

Also I didn't see middle school or high school classes being offered but maybe I missed that...

Any school other than the top international schools in Thailand that offer a full range of languages, math and computers etc with well trained and experienced teachers - who encourage independent thought?

Top Tier International Schools in Bangkok: 

- Bangkok Patana / Harrow / NIST / ISB  (IMO in that order). 

There is also Shrewsbury, Bangkok Prep, St Andrews, Rugby, Brighton, Basis... but IMO these are not as good as the established ’top four’... 

IMO - these schools, particularly the top four, provide the best education in Thailand and surpass pretty much any ‘government / comprehensive’ school in the UK, they surpass the Grammar schools in the UK and are perhaps on par with the higher end Private Schools in the UK.

The standard of education at these establishments is outstanding. 

One poster mentioned “Schools are glorified babysitters”.... that poster has obviously not witnessed the standards at top tier international schools in Thailand. 

25 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Top Tier International Schools in Bangkok: 

- Bangkok Patana / Harrow / NIST / ISB  (IMO in that order). 

There is also Shrewsbury, Bangkok Prep, St Andrews, Rugby, Brighton, Basis... but IMO these are not as good as the established ’top four’... 

IMO - these schools, particularly the top four, provide the best education in Thailand and surpass pretty much any ‘government / comprehensive’ school in the UK, they surpass the Grammar schools in the UK and are perhaps on par with the higher end Private Schools in the UK.

The standard of education at these establishments is outstanding. 

One poster mentioned “Schools are glorified babysitters”.... that poster has obviously not witnessed the standards at top tier international schools in Thailand. 

I still don't get it though.

What's the point in these schools? Are they just full of kids who are here cos their parents are here on business? Or are they full of Thai kids whose parents are intent on sending them abroad for uni and to live and work as adults?

If so, ok.

Otherwise, what's the point? How will these kids thrive in Thailand?

Could they pass an entrance exam (in Thai) for a medical program at Chula? Or a science program at Mahidol?

I assume all the subjects are taught in English and they just get Thai language classes on the side. It ain't the same as having your education in Thai.

They'd be living almost completely disabled in Thailand, functioning comfortably as a hotel receptionist or something.

They wouldn't have very many doors open to them in the country where they grew up.