Flight to UK.

NoshowJones

If I decide to take a flight to the UK for about 3 months, should I get a single flight, or an  open return? I'm not sure exactly when I want to return.

Now that the UK has fully opened up, is everything the exact same as it was before the pandemic? Will there be any nasty surprises? Is it the cheapest and safest way, where getting a full refund if the flight is cancelled is concerned, to book directly with the airline?

I was thinking about just travelling to Bangkok, booking into a hotel, doesn't matter if a have to wait a few days, then going to the booking office, probably Emirates, and booking a flight.

17 minutes ago, blackcab said:

It's not exactly the same, but 99.9 per cent the same.

The only differences I saw was that in Heathrow airport and on Transport for London underground/overground/busses, etc. you are asked to wear a mask. Plenty of people do not do this.

Also, I saw that in hospitals everyone was wearing a mask while in the building. I don't mind this to be honest, if it makes the staff and the patients feel more comfortable for the short time I am in the building.

A few people choose to wear masks in public, which is up to them.

Other than that, everything else is the same.

Most reassuring. Thanks for taking the time to post!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would check for free changes. If this war continues I am sure the price of tickets will be going up a lot. If you don't have to change then you will be money ahead. If you have to change will have already paid part of the increase.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Why not do it all online, with the airline, using a Credit Card so Section 75 applies. What's the situation when returning to Thailand going to be though....who knows?

I don't have a credit card, only debits cards from Thailand and the UK, I am flying to Scotland, that is why I chose Emirates, and unlike KLM you can go and by a ticket at their office in Bangkok.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, bunnydrops said:

I would check for free changes. If this war continues I am sure the price of tickets will be going up a lot. If you don't have to change then you will be money ahead. If you have to change will have already paid part of the increase.

I am a bit confused about free changes.

Many airlines will allow one flight change. So, say you didn't get your covid test back in time you can change the flight time to a later time. If the price has gone up since you bought the ticket, you will have to pay the difference. The airline I took only gives this option on roundtrip tickets. I may need to change my return ticket to the states because my extension ends on the 5th and my flight out is on the 4th. They will not let me apply  earlier than a month in advance with a return for final stamp date 2 weeks after my flight date, if I I don't get it within the month, I will have to reschedule the flight.

Edited by bunnydrops
addition

11 minutes ago, bunnydrops said:

Many airlines will allow one flight change. So, say you didn't get your covid test back in time you can change the flight time to a later time. If the price has gone up since you bought the ticket, you will have to pay the difference. The airline I took only gives this option on roundtrip tickets.

Are you not complicating things? Look back to Blackcabs first post. Flying from Bangkok to the UK is the same as it was before the pandemic.

Or have things changed in the last couple of days that I have not noticed?

11 minutes ago, Phuketshrew said:

Just booked a one way flight for my son. Phuket (737) - Singapore (A380) - Heathrow, for less than 10K baht. Booked directly on Singapore Airlines web site.

That's interesting, I would intend going to Emirates office in Bangkok and book a single flight to Glasgow via Dubai, leaving either the next day or soon after. That's if these flights are still on.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Phuketshrew said:

Just booked a one way flight for my son. Phuket (737) - Singapore (A380) - Heathrow, for less than 10K baht. Booked directly on Singapore Airlines web site.

Thanks for the info. Always good to know what's available. Booking directly with the airline gives peace of mind.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, possum1931 said:

I don't have a credit card, only debits cards from Thailand and the UK, I am flying to Scotland, that is why I chose Emirates, and unlike KLM you can go and by a ticket at their office in Bangkok.

In case KLM.... i could book and pay online  using my Kasikorn debit card as they accepted it in the booking confirmation as paid by "Visa electron "

Edit  ,

this on Thai KLM website ...., as it is depending from which country website for KLM ...., on the Dutch KLMwebsite they accepted also PayPal online payment , but exchanged from Euro to Thai baht as departure was from Bangkok

Edited by david555
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, david555 said:

In case KLM.... i could book and pay online  using my Kasikorn debit card as they accepted it in the booking confirmation as paid by "Visa electron "

I understand it is much better to pay direct to the flight company, besides, I tried that with kLM a while ago. I went to their offices and no one was interested in me, they asked me to use the phone on the wall, I just walked out. 

I used a travel agency to book a flight just before the pandemic and when my flight was cancelled, it took six months to get my refund minus about 5000 Bt.

No more travel agents or online booking for me. I will do it through the flight company.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes it seems the UK and Europe opening their doors but the problem is getting back to Thailand the Thais are covered by the medical insurance but me being the ex pat husband has still to get Corvit Insurance?
Advice and help and thanks
Yes for several years tried to get on the family insurance and refused and strange when one pays for nearly everything but surely one if that is true get on the family one with a small policy but it does not work like this.

Edited by jwest10
addition
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1

My wife got a flight LHR-DUBAI-BKK return with Emirates for 490 in late Feb' for 85 days.
She is allowed to change the tickets with Emirates for free.

Re Britain, in England all Covid restrictions have been removed re masks etc - not required on transport etc, and all open.
Scotland have their own rules.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, jwest10 said:

Yes it seems the UK and Europe opening their doors but the problem is getting back to Thailand the Thais are covered by the medical insurance but me being the ex pat husband has still to get Corvit Insurance?
Advice and help and thanks
Yes for several years tried to get on the family insurance and refused and strange when one pays for nearly everything but surely one if that is true get on the family one with a small policy but it does not work like this.

I'm in the same position. Understand all you need is 30 days cover to reenter Thailand. Can tell the insurance company anything to get the lowest price but you have to accept that you could never make a claim.

11 minutes ago, Guffman said:

I've paid KLM by transferring money from an ATM in the past. Then you email them a copy of the printout from the machine. Can probably be done on banking app on your phone now. No need to visit the office or use credit card.

I booked so doing by my K+ app to fly out Thailand  end August coming  , but it was easy done also... because in my KLM flying blue profile the payment option /preferences and all other  needed info  is also stored ,so les things to fill in ...

Edited by david555
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Pmbkk said:

My wife got a flight LHR-DUBAI-BKK return with Emirates for 490 in late Feb' for 85 days.
She is allowed to change the tickets with Emirates for free.

Re Britain, in England all Covid restrictions have been removed re masks etc - not required on transport etc, and all open.
Scotland have their own rules.

That's a good fare. Be aware that many airlines will state "ticket changes are free" but then go on later to state "subject to any difference in fare". I got caught by this on Etihad some years ago. Needed to change the return date and the extra cost was nearly as much as the original ticket due to "fares being higher nearer to date of travel". As much as many love to hate Thai Airways, they have never charged me a higher fare for any of the numerous changes I've made over the years.

12 minutes ago, The Fugitive said:

I'm in the same position. Understand all you need is 30 days cover to reenter Thailand. Can tell the insurance company anything to get the lowest price but you have to accept that you could never make a claim.

That's good information,  I'll keep it in mind. Thanks.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, soi3eddie said:

That's a good fare. Be aware that many airlines will state "ticket changes are free" but then go on later to state "subject to any difference in fare". I got caught by this on Etihad some years ago. Needed to change the return date and the extra cost was nearly as much as the original ticket due to "fares being higher nearer to date of travel". As much as many love to hate Thai Airways, they have never charged me a higher fare for any of the numerous changes I've made over the years.

That "subject to any difference in fare" is only when you/we  change flight .....not when the airline change the flight because some reasons ...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, david555 said:

That "subject to any difference in fare" is only when you/we  change flight .....not when the airline change the flight because some reasons ...

That is correct of course. However the context of my reply to pmbkk was that his wife was able to change tickets for free (and not when the airline cancels or changes). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/21/2022 at 1:23 PM, Guffman said:

I've paid KLM by transferring money from an ATM in the past. Then you email them a copy of the printout from the machine. Can probably be done on banking app on your phone now. No need to visit the office or use credit card.

Anyone know if KLM has an office in Bangkok where you can book and pay for a flight in person the same as Emirates? I will be in Bangkok on other business soon and would like to book a flight to Scotland.

OP be aware that since the old days when airlines used to sell off unsold seats very cheaply just before the flight there has been a huge increase in demand for air travel. Last minute unsold seats are now sold at a premium, often 2 or 3 x the price of those who booked months before.

However, I'm unaware of current demand levels given the ongoing pandemic, you may have some success at short notice, but in normal times you wouldn't.

Usually a long-haul one way ticket costs almost as much as return. I would defintey book  a return with a changeable date.

• Thanks 1

On 3/24/2022 at 2:03 AM, possum1931 said:

Anyone know if KLM has an office in Bangkok where you can book and pay for a flight in person the same as Emirates? I will be in Bangkok on other business soon and would like to book a flight to Scotland.

Why dont you book a flight  with the airlines online ?

Go to their website , book your flight and pay with debit a card and get your flight details sent to you by E-mail  .

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mac Mickmanus said:

Why dont you book a flight  with the airlines online ?

Go to their website , book your flight and pay with debit a card and get your flight details sent to you by E-mail  .

I will be in Bangkok anyway, and would feel a lot more comfortable booking with the airline direct. I used to always do it through a travel agency in Bangkok, but never again, to much trouble to get refund for cancelled flight.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Lancashirelad said:

OP be aware that since the old days when airlines used to sell off unsold seats very cheaply just before the flight there has been a huge increase in demand for air travel. Last minute unsold seats are now sold at a premium, often 2 or 3 x the price of those who booked months before.

However, I'm unaware of current demand levels given the ongoing pandemic, you may have some success at short notice, but in normal times you wouldn't.

Usually a long-haul one way ticket costs almost as much as return. I would defintey book  a return with a changeable date.

Yes you are right, I am taking your advice and booking a return flight and then can change the date if I wish. Thanks.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1