Thaksin's daughter could become Thailand's next prime minister as Shinawatra's set for comeback

webfact

1 hour ago, pomchop said:

oh no...taksin  ruined the farang night scene....horror of all horrors....and yet somehow the farang night scene still goes on and on and on 17 years later.....

exactly HOW did Taksin "ruin" the farang night scene?

The farang nite scene is no where as good as it was prior to Purachai's attacks on it, but if you don't know what it was like then there's no point in discussing it with you.

Purachai couldn't have done what he did without Thaksin's approval and he was PM, so his doing.

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, ericthai said:

First off there are no honest politicians they're all corrupt.

I think Thailand would be further behind if Taksin was never elected. 

Taksin reduced poverty while in office, got the Airport completed, approved massive infrastructure projects all over Thailand and I think the most beneficial to Thai people was the 30B healthcare coverage.

The economy was doing great, farmers seemed to be doing better too. 

However, he was no angel either with his war drugs.  Then he started messing with immigration visas, clamping down on boarder runs etc.  

I wouldn't be touting the airport as an "achievement". Considering the examples of great airports like Changi to learn from, Swampy is rubbish. Badly designed, poorly constructed, AC that hardly works, poor conduits for transfers etc etc etc and that's without considering the runway problems. Also, no money for a railway to the airport for many years. Total shambles IMO.

BTW, I remember how doctors were complaining that they couldn't afford the 30 baht scheme.

IMO massive infrastructure projects are favoured in LOS because of massive payoffs.

4 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

The farang nite scene is no where as good as it was prior to Purachai's attacks on it, but if you don't know what it was like then there's no point in discussing it with you.

Purachai couldn't have done what he did without Thaksin's approval and he was PM, so his doing.

Maybe I have been around a lot longer than you think.

On 3/21/2022 at 10:38 PM, impulse said:

5 minutes after she proposes an amnesty for her father and aunt.

That may be a bit tricky as the current leaders granted themselves immunity for all past, present and future actions back in 2014.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Who is it that as soon as someone calls corruption in the highest office, repeatedly calls out the army as the ONLY solution?

Who allows this cycle to persist?

Who is it that feeds the myth that Thailand's people aren't ready for democracy?

Who is it that stops any and all fledgling democratically elected Thai administrations going beyond that first step of the 'fair election' and actually learning how to do their job?

Who is it that doesn't allow the nation's social, political, legal and judicial systems to develop and mature so that any democratically elected but ultimately corrupt government functionary can be simply voted out of office, democratically?

The Thaksin argument is a red herring and it is getting old.

Those that persist in seeing Thai politics through the prism of Thaksin can't see the wood for the trees.

There is one person who may be able to stop it but he spends more time offshore than in Thailand.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

How sad for you that the farang night scene is not as good as it was before Thaksin came along.

Are you happier now with he farang night scene under Prayuth?

Prayuth put millions of Thais out of work and bankrupted of shut down thousands of Thai and farang businesses, and has almost destroyed the tourist industry. Something that Thaksin NEVER did.

• Like 2

On 3/21/2022 at 10:46 AM, robblok said:

Let Thaksin come back do his time then he can take care of his family. Why would he have to get a free pass.

Anyway people are stupid if they think its not him pulling the strings. She is just an other puppet just like his sister. I hope for this puppet that it ends better. 

Its just that they are all used to push an amnesty through and that lands them in trouble. Instead of working for the people they work for Thaksin. Not that the other side is much better they also don't work for the people but their own gain.

Just two bad choices that will never change. 

He was the best PM Thailand  ever had.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

No, that was not the only thing. 

The coups removed Thaksin and his little sister from power.

And since the last coup there are no red shirts in the streets anymore.

Those are already big improvements.

And lets repeat it one more time: If Thaksin would have been an honest PM then he could probably still be in charge now - without any coup. He was so greedy and corrupt that many people hated him and wanted to get rid of him. That is what the army did. He and he alone is responsible for his greedy corrupt behavior.

It would be more accurate to state: at least, since the last coup there are no YELLOW shirts in the street. The people in the street assaulting government buildings and attacking election offices, while Yingluck was PM, were the PDRC.

You could also add that there were no red shirts while Thaksin was PM. The red shirts have been created in 2006 as a reaction to the coup and the yellow shirts.

• Like 1

If corruption could be measured Thaksin was less corrupt.

If democratic support was measured Thaksin  had the most.

If successful  governance and administration  were  measured Thaksin  was best compared  to all the rest. His only fault was trying to please the Yanquis by murdering people in the name of the war on drugs. 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Agree with that.

There seems to be no end to that man's greed.

If she does "win" an election, IMO expect a repeat of the whole tiresome business.

If she actually cares about the nation, she should outright reject any notion she will be PM.

Yes, and just let the old elite continue sucking the country dry while allowing no opposition. Great idea!!

• Like 1
  • Confused 2

5 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

It's like you think the "elites" only just happened, when they have been around for centuries.

I don't think the elites only just happened. The clue is in the fact that I called them "old elite". Get it now?

PS, Could Asean Now please supply us with a "slap the forehead emoji"?

Edited by Phoenix Rising

11 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

"Well said. It's good to see a poster that wasn't taken in by the pro Thaksin BS."

Very few here are taken in by the "pro Thaksin BS". What most of us realize is that we prefer for Thailand to have their crooked politicians elected instead of imposed on them by guns because if that vicious cycle is never broken Thailand can never progress.

"Far as I'm concerned he was the worst thing that happened to LOS, and under him the farang night scene was ruined and has never recovered to what it was prior to him being PM."

But, of course, for someone who places the greatest importance on "the night scene" I can see why you wouldn't give a flying.......

and why would I give a flying ............? I didn't go to Thailand to support poor people except when their daughters sent some of my money their way.

I'm not a charitable institution and there's plenty of poverty to deal with right in home country if I wish to be so.

13 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

I don't think the elites only just happened. The clue is in the fact that I called them "old elite". Get it now?

PS, Could Asean Now please supply us with a "slap the forehead emoji"?

I actually have no idea of the point you are attempting to make. Old elites, new elites, whatever, they made no difference to my experience in Thailand. None of them came within my orbit.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I actually have no idea of the point you are attempting to make. Old elites, new elites, whatever, they made no difference to my experience in Thailand. None of them came within my orbit.

Disregarding for a moment all your posts makes that statement "less than truthful" then why are you even participating in a political thread??

and why would I give a flying ............? I didn't go to Thailand to support poor people except when their daughters sent some of my money their way.

I'm not a charitable institution and there's plenty of poverty to deal with right in home country if I wish to be so.

Again, then why are you participating in a political discussion? There are plenty of Thailand nightlife forums that should be much more relevant to your priorities.

Well they possibly were, as you poured your meagre funds into their bank accounts by the sleazy adult premises you attended. They [possibly owned the land and buildings. You just did not see them.  Nor did they want to see you

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Wow, you really need to get out (of Bangkok) more.

:cheesy:

I am happy inside Bangkok. All the cute Buriram girls come to Bangkok, why should I ever travel north?

And please keep all those red villages and red-shirt in the north (obviously seen from Bangkok). We won't miss them in the city.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I am happy inside Bangkok. All the cute Buriram girls come to Bangkok, why should I ever travel north?

And please keep all those red villages and red-shirt in the north (obviously seen from Bangkok). We won't miss them in the city.

Sooner or later they'll be back. Wouldn't shoot my mouth off too much if I were you when that happens, you might get some tough love.

20 minutes ago, Phoenix Rising said:

Sooner or later they'll be back. Wouldn't shoot my mouth off too much if I were you when that happens, you might get some tough love.

Yeah, they are good at aggression and following orders from their criminal boss. It's sad enough that they are small minded like that. It's even worse that some farangs "think" they should support those thugs.

• Haha 1