sons renewal passport

Hi ..my sons first renewal is coming up 5 years for this passport but still the same price as a 10 year adults...

i got him his British passport soon after he was born even tho i knew he wouldn't use it ..now same thing 10.000 with agent fees  for a passport he probably wont use  my question is what happens if i don't renew it now and let it lapse will it be more difficult to obtain one later ..it just seems a waste of money to let it sit in the drawer for 5 years  tks for amy help

44 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why would it cost you 10k? I renewed my son's passport when he was 5, in Bangkok, and the cost was around £80 (less than 4,000 baht). 

The OP mentioned agents fees.  Getting to from Bangkok (or Chiang Mai?) may cost more overall depending on where he lives.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

While recognizing personal budgets might be tight, maintaining a passport is probably a good investment if you believe your son might at sometime in the future wish to visit or move to the UK.

I completely agree. I can't see any good reason for letting his UK passport lapse.

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I completely agree. I can't see any good reason for letting his UK passport lapse.

Kind of you to share your financial status with all of us, but does actually not answer the OP question about lapsed UK passport.

16 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

The question is… is it going to be a hassle to renew at a later date when / if his son needs it. 

If he doesn’t imagine he’ll travel the Uk any time soon (in the next 5 years) I can kind of understand why he the Op may be questioning whether it’s worth renewing now ir if it’s going to be a lot more hassle later. 

The reality is the Ops son is a British National (and Thai I would assume) - thus I don’t think it’s an issue to let his passport expire (I’m guessing though). 

I’m also wondering IF at some point the Op were to travel with his son, would there be an issue entering the UK with an expired passport (and applying for a renewal while there). 

[note: I wouldn’t risk any of the above, but I understand why the Op is asking]

2 hours ago, Daffy D said:

Kind of you to share your financial status with all of us, but does actually not answer the OP question about lapsed UK passport.

How is my financial status relevant? My answer to the OP is that he should not let his son's UK passport lapse.  I'm sure the OP would welcome your advice too, should you care to give any.

• Thanks 1

According to this website an expired UK passport can be renewed in the standard way unless it expired more than 10 years ago - in which case the application will require all the same documents etc. as if it was a first application.

https://www.ukabroad.net/british-passport-renewal-requirements/

How long after Expiry can a UK passport be renewed? 

To qualify for a standard UK passport renewal, your passport should still valid within 10 years from its expiry date or expired for a period of less than 10 years. In this case, the standard passport renewal application procedure applies to renew your UK passport. 

If your passport was issued a very long time ago (before 2004) or expired a very long time ago (ten years ago or longer) then all qualifying criteria must be submitted as if it were for a first-time application. 

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

How is my financial status relevant? My answer to the OP is that he should not let his son's UK passport lapse.  I'm sure the OP would welcome your advice too, should you care to give any.

You are assuming that every one is in the same financial position as you and can afford to regularly renew a passport that may not be used.

As for the "I'm sure the OP would welcome your advice too" you did not offer any advice, just made an obvious unnecessary statement that I'm sure the OP had already considered.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, chickenslegs said:

According to this website an expired UK passport can be renewed in the standard way unless it expired more than 10 years ago - in which case the application will require all the same documents etc. as if it was a first application.

https://www.ukabroad.net/british-passport-renewal-requirements/

Thanks, @cickenlegs  you have answered a question that I was also considering.

:smile:

40 minutes ago, Daffy D said:

You are assuming that every one is in the same financial position as you and can afford to regularly renew a passport that may not be used.

As for the "I'm sure the OP would welcome your advice too" you did not offer any advice, just made an obvious unnecessary statement that I'm sure the OP had already considered.

My financial situation is irrelevant. I don't have a choice but to renew my son's passport as without it he's stateless.  My advice stands.  Don't let his passport lapse.