Cars with 2.0L engines and up

On 3/24/2022 at 6:38 AM, Lacessit said:

Offering a warranty, and actually doing what it says, are two different things.  GWM is a case in point, as a seaside-dwelling Australian found when his GWM was rusting out after 12 months, due to poor corrosion protection. To make the situation even more farcical, the dealership that refused to honor the warranty was located in the same beach environment. I understand the situation was only resolved in the customer's favor when Australian consumer law was invoked, there are no such laws in Thailand.

"...resolved in the customer's favor when Australian consumer law was invoked, there are no such laws in Thailand".

It was a case involving an LDV vehicle, not a GWM product but, regardless,  there have there been no reports of similar problems to that one isolated case reported in Australia  being recorded here in Thailand. 

Edited by Liverpool Lou

On 3/24/2022 at 7:09 AM, Max Williams said:

"There's no replacement for displacement" as they say

Wasn't that what they said in the 60s/70s, fifty-odd years ago?   This is 2022. 

The '72 7.5 litre Lincoln Continental Mk4, for example, had 212bhp and it's comparable rivals didn't do much better at the time!

4 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Consumer Protection Act,

B.E. 2552 (1979)

One of the most salient features of Australian Consumer Law is the right of a buyer to have a reasonable expectation of fitness for purpose. It overrides any warranty a supplier may purport to give.

A car buyer can have a reasonable expectation of the engine lasting 200 - 300K, as long as they regularly maintain the vehicle. So if the engine cooks itself after only 90,000 km, it does not meet the standard of reasonable expectation.

In the GWM case, it was clearly unreasonable the vehicle should be rusting after only 12 months. IIRC, the owner was refunded the full purchase price after taking his complaint to the ACCC.

Permit me to doubt there are similar remedies available in the Thai consumer law you are quoting, or that they would be enforced with any zeal. It's more likely the plaintiff would be sued for defamation.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Lacessit said:

One of the most salient features of Australian Consumer Law is the right of a buyer to have a reasonable expectation of fitness for purpose. It overrides any warranty a supplier may purport to give.

A car buyer can have a reasonable expectation of the engine lasting 200 - 300K, as long as they regularly maintain the vehicle. So if the engine cooks itself after only 90,000 km, it does not meet the standard of reasonable expectation.

In the GWM case, it was clearly unreasonable the vehicle should be rusting after only 12 months. IIRC, the owner was refunded the full purchase price after taking his complaint to the ACCC.

Permit me to doubt there are similar remedies available in the Thai consumer law you are quoting, or that they would be enforced with any zeal. It's more likely the plaintiff would be sued for defamation.

Yeah I don't know how it works, was just pointing out the mechanism does exist in Thailand where it was previously mentioned it does not.

3 hours ago, Max Williams said:

Are there any 2.0 turbo diesel manual cars? Thank you. 

Most of the 'better' ones can be driven in 'manual' by using the (+) and (-) on the steering wheel or  'gear stick'. Just no clutch pedal. Even our  2015 Everest has that function.  On our 2Ltr I can use the (-) to drop a gear or two to overtake.  

As I understand it, smaller engines generally have to turn faster to provide the same power as a larger engine.

Smaller valves meant the fuel mixture has to be pumped in, this is where the turbo comes in.

There really is "...no replacement for displacement"

On 3/23/2022 at 6:12 PM, Max Williams said:

I definitely would rather German or Japanese. Looking to buy second hand. I don't like buying new cars. 

There's a Nissan Skyline for sale in Chiang Mai. Recently rebuilt. Was a runner when I saw it before the rebuild.  Seeing it was my only input and I'm not involved with the company. I followed a transporter for over 150km just to have a look when the driver finally took a comfort stop.

There were two transporters carrying a total of 8 vehicles. The Skyline and an M3 caught my attention, but I remember a Testerosa and a 911 among what was being transported.

Driver said they sometimes made as many as two runs a month.. Gave me a card which I've misplaced, but the company shouldn't be hard to track down. All I remember is they're based in Chiang Mai.

They're serious folks that made good offers for my Camaro. No sale!

Edited by alacrity
init
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Kinnock said:

If you want a new, made in Thailand, over 2 litre petrol, at a reasonable price - have a look at the Nissan X-Trail 2.5.

Generally not a fan of dat-soon, but the new X-Trails are good looking....

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:04 AM, tonray said:

You should try driving a 1.0 Turbo or even a 1.5...not waek at all given the weight and nimbleness of the new cars

The  new honda city turbo 1.0 is quicker than my old honda civic 2.0 (already sold),

Th OP should get the ranger raptor with near 400hp (v6 petrol), if budget is not of concern. 

• Like 1

On 3/24/2022 at 7:27 AM, Max Williams said:

Oh ya, that's the other thing. I'd love a good old fashion 5 or 6 speed. More fun to drive and where I'm at I don't have to worry about traffic. I'm a DIYer. I've been interested in the Mazdas but I've never worked on one. 

There’s not much to choose from in Thailand if you want a 5 or 6speed (sporty) car.  

There are a handful of Mazda MX5 NA, NB and NC in manual transmission in Thailand (near your price range) but they don’t come up for sale very often and when they do, they go quickly.

There are Toyota FRS’s (called the GT86 here) but unfortunately they’re automatics.

https://www.one2car.com/en/for-sale/toyota-86-gt-bangkok-metropolitan-kanchanaphisek/8469174

Lexus IS250/300h are pretty cheap and probably the best value but again…automatic.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:12 PM, Max Williams said:

Are there any 2.0 turbo diesel manual cars? Thank you. 

Ford Focus RS Turbo. Unsure if the stick-shift version was available in Thailand, or if it was only manual shifting of an automatic box.