Thailand to bar use of digital assets for payments for goods, services from April

snoop1130

1 hour ago, Ralf001 said:

Does this include the <deleted> that pay for stuff using an app on their phone.... drive me <deleted> nuts getting caught up behind these people.

The pay for stuff you see is probable the government, Klor-Ra- kung, in Thai, you pay half  a 

Government scheme they give you 1200 baht ,but you can buy stuff for 2400baht,and you can buy stuff  as little as 20 baht and  government pays half ,so you buy stuff for 100 baht you pay 50 baht government pays 50 baht ,this is all done on mobile phones ,so far they have been 3 schemes so far with more to come ,so you will be caught behind people with their mobile phones for some time to come .

7 hours ago, kickstart said:

The pay for stuff you see is probable the government, Klor-Ra- kung, in Thai, 

I highly doubt the people I get stuck behind at the hardware store buying 1000's of baht worth of plumbing fittings and paints and assorted industrial supplies wearing clothing showing their work logo are buying on a government scheme.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The use of digital assets for investment is not affected by the new regulations.

14 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

barring them from using digital assets as a means of payment for goods or services.

Joining the digital age... ?

Just now, spidermike007 said:

And that is fine. Cards are useful. It is the Gen Z ninnies who pay for their coffee and everything else with a card that is inane. 

Man up. 

If you can use tap and go, it makes sense..... not really here in LOS yet, Imagine the kid or Mrs getting her hands on that!

Why is the government so worried about money laundering?  They are admitting to serious budget deficits but limiting deposits at certain banks.  Maybe they will catch their own hand in the laundering cookie jar.  And S and P just down graded the Thai Bank debt.  With no tourists coming for a long time, increased oil prices and mounting consumer debt perhaps the financial focus should be redirected.

Edited by koratkarlos
Grammar

48 minutes ago, mtls2005 said:

SCB made a HUGE move into "digital assets" via their investment/takeover of Bitkub.

Once their largest shareholder finds out about this I suspect it will be quietly rescinded.

No doubt already known and part of a plan to release an 'official' 'coin' with certain characteristics (think big bird on financial company building facades)

14 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

Does this include the <deleted> that pay for stuff using an app on their phone.... drive me <deleted> nuts getting caught up behind these people.

Must be really annoying for you carrying those heavy shells you pay with.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Sounds like they are Going Stupid . 

People also ask

What are examples of digital assets?

A digital asset is anything that is stored digitally and is uniquely identifiable that organizations can use to realize value. Examples of digital assets include documents, audio, videos, logos, slide presentations, spreadsheets and websites.

16 hours ago, timendres said:

I am sure the cyber criminals and money launderers are very concerned about this development.

I thought they use US$ ????. Anything changed?

Edited by MadMac
  • Like 1

Is this not related to the advent of Central Bank digital currencies ? Public distributed ccy's are seen as competition. Hence the taxes and new laws in many regions. Seems like a dystopian future. 

Edited by Sqoop