Welcome back to Thailand! French husband has 400,000 baht headache after theft from house

webfact

3 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My neighbour did.... but he had iron grills..... pity the screw heads were left accessible and very usable!

If they want to get in they will and always makes me laugh about padlocks lock inside and it makes people one is in the house and same with sandels  outside, though this is a very Thai thing.

• Confused 1

Sounds like a Family Setup!! That is why I have security cameras 24/7 that pickup anyone entering and leaving my house and wife's business. Even though we keep most of our money at the Bangkok Bank and never have over 1,000 bath between us. Nothing has ever been stolen here at Ubon for over 10+ years. Very Lucky, but it could still happen and the Burglar would help himself to a old TV, Appliance, etc.-Nothing of real value. "GOOD LUCK!"

Edited by Dan747
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, hioctane said:

Common sense when you have lots of guests over. Did they specify whether it was just lying on a table or hidden away?

We all can give you plenty of advice but there is no place truly safe not even in the banks. So my advice would be to suck it up or play Dick Tracy and find who took it.

• Like 1

Sadly the wealth polarity in Thailand is one of the worst in the world, exacerbated by the covid pandemic.  I think we can expect more such stories in the near future.  Investing in a good security system or being part of a strong gated community are likely good moves going forwards.   

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Hans Johnson said:

That’s why I have one large safe bolted to the concrete floor down stairs and one small one bolted to the wall in the bedroom. 

Nowadays everything/anything can be de-bolted. Just a matter of time, opportunity and tools. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RAZZELL said:

"there were two miscreants in the frame for the blag at the farang's gaffe."

Who writes this nonsense? 

If you're going to use slang I'm sure it would be "gaff" not "gaffe"!

RAZZ 

Gaffe is perfectly ok in English. I find it regularly in the NYT crossword puzzles. What backwater are you from?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, multatuli said:

Gaffe is perfectly ok in English. I find it regularly in the NYT crossword puzzles. What backwater are you from?

A Gaffe means a silly error, a Gaff is London slang for house, also a large hook for pulling in fish...

Edited by zyphodb
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

My neighbour did.... but he had iron grills..... pity the screw heads were left accessible and very usable!

Very common, a friend moved to a house here and all the windows and doors have these grills, and all of them simply kept in place by like 6 very common screws. 

1 minute ago, FarangFB said:
5 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Very common, a friend moved to a house here and all the windows and doors have these grills, and all of them simply kept in place by like 6 very common screws

Pay a little more when installing window security grills/bars, get a professional installer.

Common practice when using a professional tradesman/installer is to tack weld the exposed removable nuts. 

Saying that, I doubt a thief would go to the trouble of removing security grills if the owners were home having a party. 

• Like 1

Unfortunately there are many hungry people about due to the Pandemic who are unemployed. Do not display your wealth and make certain all your valuables are locked away  This is common sense now and in the past where ever you are

• Like 2

Burriram, never liked the place. Anyway the 400k must be like 60% of the house value looking at pics, quite insane to keep that around poorer folks and not in a proper safe.

Compared to a farang minimum wage worker earning 30k a year thats like 100k usd laying around.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Will B Good said:

Could happen anywhere in the world I guess..........tough one.........I'd hate to think it was one of their 'guests'.

Could happen anywhere of you leave your valuables on view.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1