New ‘Pheu Thai Family’ head wants more experience before becoming PM

snoop1130

24 minutes ago, scorecard said:

''...about Thaksin, but he was the properly elected PM who was in office when I first came to live in Thailand."  

You're talking about the days of massive open vote buying.

At that time I worked with a Thai ladym in Bkk, who came from a big regional city.

She bragged openly about how her snr. policeman father was in charge of the vote buying activities for that region and bragged how the locals were very frightened of her father and all police who were (it's well documented) totally controlled by the paymaster. They were his personal army. 

Other employees avoided her and avoided any discussion with her, and a couple of times she threatened staff members who she suspected had said negative things about her father and/or the paymaster.

They won the elction and the lady employee instantly resigned and took up a snr. position in their party HQ big building on Petchaburi Road.

Sorry but I don't call that '...properly elected...'.

I can't disagree with you at all, it would seem I used the wrong words, but all I can say is I would rather have that than what is there now.

20 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Head of Thailand’s newly created “Pheu Thai Family” concept, Paetongtarn Shinawatra, says that she wants to see regime change in Thailand and that she wants to gain more experience before standing for the post of the country’s prime minister.

Don’t worry. All you need to know is to do whatever pt’s puppet master (daddy to you) tells you to do. 

Edited by Bluespunk
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

I don't have anyone on my ignore list, not even the one or two posters who love the unelected soldier posing as a PM, although I may be on theirs, because if I did I would not see their posts so would not be able to annoy them ????.

Note you said HE as in "He may not have political experience ..., "

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

Thai parliament elects ex military government chief Prayuth as PM

6 June 2019

Retired general Prayuth Chan-ocha, the man who led a military coup in Thailand five years ago, has been elected as the country's civilian prime minister.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-48537664

Elected by who???????????? the Thai people?? Did any ordinary Thai person put a cross to his name at an official polling station??

The Thai parliament elects and the Head-Of-State appoints.

A maybe more important issue now is -- as a Thai PM can only serve 2 4-year terms consecutively -- is whether PM Prayut is now in his first or second term of office.

but regardless of this he is still the PM:

Ten reasons why ‘Prayut’ should not claim to an 'elected Prime Minister'

https://ilaw.or.th/node/5292

Edited by jerrymahoney

41 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

What has politics got to do with a bunch of tinpot soldiers who are only fit for their barracks and parade grounds? The unelected PM would probably have difficulty trying to even spell the word. I can't answer your question as I know nothing about any other country's politicians and what qualifications they have. I can't imagine any normal country with a deputy PM being so far apart in qualifications as a health minister with only an engineering degree. It is not as if he has qualifications in anything else.

But again, The Banana Republic of Thailand is certainly not a normal country.

A side point; you mention politicians / ministers having qualifications, and I agree very lacking in the LOS. There is a good and very positive example quite nearby, SIngapore.

All of the ministers are highly qualified, experienced and highly respected, zero corruption baggage and they are paid at the level of equivalent captains of industry, which helps to encourage these folks get join the government and take up the high positions.

All of this shows; Singapore now (for some time) a highly respected country, with a very good picture of quality of life.  

Many countries could build the same picture but...

• Like 2

First time Yingluck was asked by Big Brother to run for PM she said no and that she didn't want it.    Second time she was 'ordered' to do it and a fine mess it got her into.  You can expect the same results this time !

Edited by trainman34014

9 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I strongly believe that power should not be in the hands of 1 family for decades. After Thaksin, Yingluck and now maybe his daughter I think there should really be a change. Not only for Thailand but everywhere in the world. personally I would choose Thanatorn because it is fresh blood and probably different views. The thaksin dynasty will have the same views and goals as they are grown up with the family traditions. Not that Thailand was not much better in the times of Thaksin than nowadays, but they are wealthy enough already. and there should be real changes, which probably can or will not be done by this family.

The problem comes from the top "no changes are to ever be considered" just follow on as before.

8 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"she wants to gain more experience before standing for the post of the country’s prime minister."

What about the present PM?? Unelected along with his soldiers. The only experience he had with anything before he took the country by force was in the army barracks and parade grounds, and probably with the same low IQ as the average Thai.

In the eight years he has been posing as an PM he has learned nothing, ie appointing a guy with an engineering degree as a health minister.

Come lass, get into it and help rid this country of the circus of clowns and midgets who are there at present.

Having an engineering degree,  a medical degree, or no degree makes little difference, it comes down to using common sense, taking sound advice from your support people and considering the implications of your decisions - unfortunately this is Thailand and it's all based on me me me, I'm the minister and I know everything about everything.... 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ikke1959 said:

I strongly believe that power should not be in the hands of 1 family for decades. After Thaksin, Yingluck and now maybe his daughter I think there should really be a change. Not only for Thailand but everywhere in the world. personally I would choose Thanatorn because it is fresh blood and probably different views. The thaksin dynasty will have the same views and goals as they are grown up with the family traditions. Not that Thailand was not much better in the times of Thaksin than nowadays, but they are wealthy enough already. and there should be real changes, which probably can or will not be done by this family.

I agree. There should be a rival or 2 to choose from that the junta hasn't already eliminated. But the only opinion that matters belongs to the man behind the curtain

9 hours ago, possum1931 said:

"Not that Thailand was not much better in the times of Thaksin than nowadays,"

I don't know much about Thaksin, but he was the properly elected PM who was in office when I first came to live in Thailand, and the country was much, much better then than it is now, no forcing expats over 50 to be treated like ex prisoners on parole with their 90 day reports, no making it difficult for long stayers under 50 to stay in Thailand in the longer term, all it took was a nice run to the border for a stamp every 90 days. 

It is only my loving wife and belongings that are keeping me in this Banana Republic of Thailand today.

It was  Tucksin that put money for marriage extension up to 400k from 200 k ,retirement extension 400k up 800k ,cost of a visa was500 baht ,now 1900 baht.

The reason ,he said farangs are getting a good exchange rate ,at the time GBP was 60-70 baht /GBP ,dollar 40 baht plus .

As for 90 reporting ,if I remember right, teachers were the first to do 90 day reporting at about this time ?? then the rest of us had to do it .

He was in office after being elected ,then he got re-elected ,the first PM in Thailand to do so . 

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, hotchilli said:

Maybe by becoming a team leader, then a supervisor, then senior supervisor, then into management and directorship... ie learning the ropes of management of a team of people which make up a government.

A PM doesn't need to have all the answers, he/she surrounds themselves with people who know what they're doing and then channels their best ideas into reality.

I am sorry, on first reading I thought you wrote "learning the rapes of management"...I had to look twice!

On 3/25/2022 at 12:07 PM, smedly said:

what she needs is to be honest and take care the Thai people - very simple, she can talk to me and I will show her how she could be the greatest PM Thailand has ever had, employ me as a special advisor and I will steer her to Victory ???? 

Actually, the good Thai population don't require caretaking - they've seem to manage quite well without overbearing bureaucratic interference. 

What truly needs to be in place is the absence of traditional corrupted political systems, opting for "a machine" that engages and acts for the commons.........all of which could easily applies to the political systems the world over. Sadly, this isn't the case. 

12 hours ago, Grusa said:

I am sorry, on first reading I thought you wrote "learning the rapes of management"...I had to look twice!

I can fully understand the reading of rapes in place of ropes...... 

7 hours ago, zzaa09 said:

What truly needs to be in place is the absence of traditional corrupted political systems

you got it 

how many billions do you think goes into pockets 

The world is focused right now on the Russian billionaires that have basically enriched themselves - you think Thailand is any different, in the west they should all be treated the same ............................where did you get your money from 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, smedly said:

you got it 

The world is focused right now on the Russian billionaires that have basically enriched themselves - you think Thailand is any different, in the west they should all be treated the same ............................where did you get your money from 

From dead friends .. 

Edited by Artisi
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, smedly said:

you got it 

The world would do itself better if such attention was focused on the true instigators of most of the troubles that plagued this world - the Western oligarchical systems.