Thailand does the math: Two are dying per hour on the Thai roads

webfact

51 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most pickups have drum brakes on the rear which are inadequate at speed.

They are not meant to be going fast, as you state they are for moving goods around.

No Thai pickup is fast.... ok well the race trucks you see at the track go ok but a street ones.

7 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

500b is more than what many earn in a day, you would think thats a big incentive to wear a helmet.

Make it a Thousand and they won't eat for a week, now that would be an incentive    Peace

Just now, TunnelRat69 said:

Make it a Thousand and they won't eat for a week, now that would be an incentive    Peace

They just won't pay it... just like they wont pay the 500b fine.

I had two speeding tickets in the mailbox on Friday, They went straight in the bin unopened.

On 3/26/2022 at 1:24 PM, DezLez said:

I believe that the figures for deaths resulting from road accidents in Thailand are only of those pronounced dead at the scene and do not include those who die later as a result of their injuries which means the actual fatality figures are even higher/worse!

3 per hour would be far more accurate

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

Most pickups have drum brakes on the rear which are inadequate at speed.

They are not meant to be going fast, as you state they are for moving goods around.

Physics is physics. Energy is energy. How one experiences this is up to the individual.

First came here frm UK in 2007 (an eye opener as Im sure it is for most) I could'nt get my head around the suicide U-Turn system on major roads/highways... Talk about an accident waiting to happen? Based in Patong Phuket mostly I often traverse Patong hill, have seen all sorts of Mayhem & Tomfoolery up & over down & around that, I quickly learned in Rain just dont go over the hill, as Thais do not appear to bother to drive/ride/fly to the road conditions (Carnage)

Times at the 5 ways in Chalong or Heroines Monument Round-a-bout where they block it off and force vehicles to go 600meters up the main rd to then do the Suicidel U-Turn to come back and turn left etc where you wanted to go in the first place... W t F?? fast forward 15yrs and know what -

It Amazes me why LOS has Suicidal U-Turns 555 (Thats all you need to know about Thai Road Safety) There is NONE

9 minutes ago, Lokie said:

First came here frm UK in 2007 (an eye opener as Im sure it is for most) I could'nt get my head around the suicide U-Turn system on major roads/highways... Talk about an accident waiting to happen? Based in Patong Phuket mostly I often traverse Patong hill, have seen all sorts of Mayhem & Tomfoolery up & over down & around that, I quickly learned in Rain just dont go over the hill, as Thais do not appear to bother to drive/ride/fly to the road conditions (Carnage)

Times at the 5 ways in Chalong or Heroines Monument Round-a-bout where they block it off and force vehicles to go 600meters up the main rd to then do the Suicidel U-Turn to come back and turn left etc where you wanted to go in the first place... W t F?? fast forward 15yrs and know what -

It Amazes me why LOS has Suicidal U-Turns 555 (Thats all you need to know about Thai Road Safety) There is NONE

Yes, yes, yes,

But the beer is cold and the girls are hot.

The rest don't matter. 

They don't care, so why should we.

They kill there children on the roads, every day, ( about 14 of them each day)

How bad is that. they just don't care.

Amazing Thailand, again and again.

And why are these drivers speeding and driving so recklessly in the first place? The primary reason is the toy police force. Nobody, and I mean nobody takes these guys seriously. There is absolutely nothing in the way of a deterrent here, and both the local governments, the central government and the police do not take traffic safety seriously. Not even one iota. The safety of the public means less than zero to the small men in charge here. Nothing. They show that on a daily basis.

They will not do a thing. Why? They do not care about the people one iota. Not the common people. Not the average pleb. No way. Never have cared, and may never care in the future. It is all about protecting the elite, the super wealthy, those that are connected, and those in power. The rest of the population? They do not matter. The ex-pat community does not matter. And the police will not get involved unless an accident has already occurred. There is no prevention. None. The idea of getting the police more involved, is an interesting one, and it would be an effective one. But, the issue is money. They are grossly underpaid, and until the government steps up, and spends the trillion baht on updating the police equipment, and paying each cop a living wage, it is not going to happen. Until then, they will just work the franchise.

The only way to survive here on the road, is to be patient, have eyes in the back of your head, drive with caution, and always, and I mean always watch out of the other guy. Chances are, he does not have much driving skill, nor patience, nor reason, nor common sense. You cannot be too careful on the road here. Especially considering that the toy police offer no traffic safety, prevention, enforcement of the law, or concern toward the prosecution of very reckless drivers. 

Those of us with driving skill, and a strong desire for not only survival, but the avoidance of terrible injury, are constantly scanning the road, in front of us, beside us, and behind us. There are an exceptionally high number of reckless fools on these roads, and it is the only way to preserve our lives, and those of our families, and friends, who may be driving with us, and depending on us. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

Intelligence Levels broadly same as West. Just “ used differently” ( don’t invent or excel at anything).  Culture here not compatible with Modernity & Safety. Fatalistic Passive Selfish. Casual. 

Now they ARE Modern when Western Standards Required like Doctors, Dentists, Pilots AND such Quals completed in the West away from Culture here. 1% only though.

All true except IQ levels here average 89 (64th by country). UK and Europe around 100,so there is a difference. Combined with thailand’s very poor ranking in the PISA EDUCATIONAL TABLES indicates they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. 

3 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

What a complete load of tosh. Do you actually think before posting?

Educate yourself please.

Disc brakes are easily associated with most modern cars. This is because of their quick braking response and superior power, especially in wet environments. However, you’d be surprised that there are modern cars that still use drum brakes. Pick-up trucks still have drum brakes and there are good reasons for it.

https://amanandhisgear.com/why-do-pickups-still-have-drum-brakes#:~:text=Drum brakes work with a,motorcycles%2C and lower end cars.

7 hours ago, TropicalGuy said:

That’s called a “ sticking plaster” solution. Police are not Root Cause.

You're advocating a fundamental change in human nature, which causes people to act in ways that maximize the benefit to themselves.  Good luck with that.

If there were no consequences to walking into a gold shop and taking whatever you want, how long do you think society would last?

Enforcement is the acknowledgement of that basic human condition.  Not a plaster. 

6 hours ago, Ralf001 said:

They just won't pay it... just like they wont pay the 500b fine.

I had two speeding tickets in the mailbox on Friday, They went straight in the bin unopened.

Post back after you register your car next year.

1 hour ago, impulse said:

You're advocating a fundamental change in human nature, which causes people to act in ways that maximize the benefit to themselves.  Good luck with that.

If there were no consequences to walking into a gold shop and taking whatever you want, how long do you think society would last?

Enforcement is the acknowledgement of that basic human condition.  Not a plaster. 

Subject is Road Safety , not Society as a whole. Increased Traffic Police action without Culture Change & System in place here does not address root cause & won’t change a thing. Just perpetuates police shakedown / public mistrust culture. 

2 hours ago, nchuckle said:

All true except IQ levels here average 89 (64th by country). UK and Europe around 100,so there is a difference. Combined with thailand’s very poor ranking in the PISA EDUCATIONAL TABLES indicates they are not the sharpest tools in the shed. 

Anything below Av.IQ 70 =Retarded ! Below IQ 80 no complex task possible, not even factory work. Of course IQ on Bell Curve.

Nepal provides World Class Light Infantry & Everest Sherpas so are certainly not the stupidest country !  Impossible Lowest AvIQ 43 !! 

Lowest IQ Humans are Aboriginals in Australia & Namibia AvIQ 65 !

Israel Country Position 49 is also Impossible. European Jews the smartest people on earth ! Japs 2nd. Other Jews pulling down the average maybe. 

But IF Thais are ten IQ points below Whites, combined with terrible education , that would explain a lot here …☹️ Culture, No Creativity etc.

21 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

I think it is called merging.???? In Bangkok, anyway, it works quite well. Everyone merges and mostly everyone is happy

Big fail in the Pattaya area, lane markings mean little.....

On 3/25/2022 at 5:52 PM, biggles45 said:

This is not news, just a rehash of an ongoing problem. As long as you have a police force that is very lazy and corrupt with no desire to actually improve the road toll situation, nothing is ever going to change

You can pass as many laws as you like, but without enforcement and penalties it's a waste of time. 

@biggles45 although i agree about the lazy police, but its also the thai public's attitude that needs to change because the police dont enforce mask wearing because the thais have an irrational fear of covid but they think accidents can't be prevented.    when we all know, some but not all accidents can be prevented.