Thailand does the math: Two are dying per hour on the Thai roads

webfact

G0DL5oPyrtt5HBAivXbae8G1o53xvKQ3ejCeSBzn14zWo4HOlTX0eh.jpg

Thai PBS had a report about the appalling state of the Thai Roads.

And they did the math with the help of a safety expert about the sheer numbers of people dying from all age groups in Thai society.

Withaya Chartbanchachai said that 17,831 people died in 2020.

49 a day.

Two an hour. 

24/7, seven days a week, 52 weeks a year etc....

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

The feature story also contained details of how the victims of the carnage on the Thai roads are getting older.

In the past it has always been that the younger people were more susceptible to death on the roads but now there has been a massive increase in older working people and retirees dying.

So much so that numbers in the different age groups are now similar. 

From 2020 to 2021 there were 34,788 road fatalities. These figures do not contain the first three months of this year.

It was observed in the report that encouraging Thais to wear face masks has been easy - getting them to wear helmets is quite another matter. 

Long Stay Visa Health Insurance Plans

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-03-26

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information
  • Sad 10

1 hour ago, biggles45 said:

This is not news, just a rehash of an ongoing problem. As long as you have a police force that is very lazy and corrupt with no desire to actually improve the road toll situation, nothing is ever going to change

You can pass as many laws as you like, but without enforcement and penalties it's a waste of time. 

first. train the police to do there job. ,  then take all the kids of the roads. ,then do what some country do make the roads smaller not bigger.  ,rural. thailand. ,turn village roads into 4 lanes. ,very wide. ,  can you cross the road on foot. no ,cut all the trees down been there 100 years. ,so Mr Tarmac can make more money and kill more people. ,once. stopped by the police for speeding. ,for once going slow. ,i refused to pay. , said i would call the police.  , told to go. ,he was quite open about whisky. Money. my Mrs was very   worried 

• Confused 3

11 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Vietnam impressed me with the high % of people wearing helmets.

Not counting young passengers below driving age, I would estimate 98% - 99%.

I mentioned this to a local, who told me that when it became law there was not a lot of compliance, but then they began fining offenders...

Vietnam lol.

Back in the early 1990s we used to sit on busy corners drinking beer and taking bets when the next accident would occur. There was an accident perhaps every 10 minutes.

I've got visited South Vietnam for well over 20 years and I'm sure that things have got a lot better but those were the days when everyone had a shiny new motorcycle and no one had a license.

I guess it's a national sport. Nothing is done about it. You can see how everyone driving a motorcycle is wearing a mask and not a helmet. It could be done... (same as for cars) but no, this is Thailand.

23 minutes ago, TheScience said:

This is fixable only by jailing offenders for even small offences.

Maybe sit in jail as little as an afternoon or a lifetime but jail is the only thing that will wake this population up. No fines. Jail.

Possibly impounding vehicles might help as well. Same idea. One day, month, year... lose the vehicle.

EXACTLY. Take away their freedom and "toys"  That I feel sure is the only way they will learn to do things properly

• Like 2

You often read about the police mounting blitzes on this and that here and there, but with circa 70 millions Thai people all their efforts, and this is when the really try, makes a small dent in the abysmal mortality figures, what can be done? no much really, keep educating the masses hoping the will get it or recruit 10,000 more police, good police that is...