Options for a long-term stay for a tourist visa holder in the country now

Hi everybody. Apologies for the long read, I've got a big ask for information and want to make sure that I list all relevant details + my research.

I initially came to Thailand for two months and since then made the decision to stay here longer, maybe for a year. My child is attending school and wife and I are enjoying living here. For background info - we're in our thirties, both work remotely, daughter is year 1 in school. 

I need to decide which type of visa to pursue. 

We are eagerly awaiting the “digital nomad visa” Thai government has promised to roll out this year, yet for the time being we need to find a way to stay here, until the holy grail visa becomes available. After research and talking to everyone I could about it, I understand that our options are:

1. Stamps every 60/30 days at immigration. Not a huge fan of this, as it keeps our status sort of up in the air. What if we are denied a stamp? What if later on when we want to get a proper visa this will come back to bite us? Also, don’t feel confident to purchase vehicles here, etc., as our immigration status is very ephemeral.
  2. Non-Immigrant ED Visa for wife and I studying Thai language (for example). The cost, as I understand are around 25k Baht for the education plus another 25k baht to change visa type from Tourist to Non-immigrant. *
  3. Non-Immigrant ED Visa based on the fact our daughter is attending school. Cost - 25k baht each to change visa type for one parent and one child. *  We were also told that we need to deposit 500k baht into a bank account to get this visa type. Can anyone confirm this is so?
  4. Employer of Record - I understand there are some companies specializing in this for tech workers. The quotes I’ve been given look like $2K USD to start the process + $500 USD monthly fee which adds up to $8K for a year (way too expensive for me). + I also have to get a separate visa for dependents, as they are not covered. I take it I also have to pay 25k baht to change visa type for each person… *
  5. I am not sure what this is… maybe also EOR? I called a visa agency and over the phone the lady said she can “hire me for her company”.  It was difficult to  get more details, over the phone, I’m thinking to stop by there tomorrow but not sure. Is this also EOR or some funky illegal scheme I should avoid?

Here are my questions:

1. Are there any other  options for us to stay 9 months-year with a non-immigrant visa that I have not considered?
  2. Regarding the 25k baht tax to switch tourist visa to non-immigrant - I heard it mentioned that this can be avoided by going out of the country, say to Malaysia, visiting a Thai consulate there and getting the visa there. Can anyone confirm that this is true? Aside from the hassle of Thai Pass and tests (I think it’s only ATK starting with April), are there any pitfalls I’m not seeing or reasons to avoid going this route?
  3. I was told that if I get an ED visa, and my wife gets an ED visa, it’s okay if our pre-school child goes without a visa. Is this true? In some countries (US e.g.), a parent’s educational visa covers their minor dependent with an educational visa, is it the same way in Thailand?

If there is anything else you can share that might be helpful, please do. Thank you so much for your help!

Edited by TonySn0

The ED visa is the easiest route for a year until you can sort something more permanent but be prepared to attend atleast a couple times through the year and visit the MOE. There is no additional 25k needed on top of the schools fee.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lite Beer said:

Nationalities of wife and Child?

From the OP....

"I was told that if I get an ED visa, and my wife gets an ED visa, it’s okay if our pre-school child goes without a visa. Is this true?"

Would appear wife and child non Thai.

• Confused 1

12 hours ago, TonySn0 said:

I initially came to Thailand for two months and since then made the decision to stay here longer, maybe for a year

OP, bumping your thread as you didn't obtain much advice.

When you state came for 2 months....do you mean entered visa exempt and obtained a 30 day extension?

If so you could obtain covid extensions.

There is no overstay issue for your child however having a permission of stay for her is best option. In addition the school may wish to see valid permit for her. 

The covid extensions can buy time for travel restrictions to become less onerous and you could exit and reenter easily..

Hopefully others will post some ideas..

Edited by DrJack54

Can anybody explain why Thai Immigration issues 3 months Tourist Visas that are only good for 2 months and then require applying for a 30 day extension. Why not just make a 3 month visa a 3 month visa? Thailand bureaucracy always makes simple things complicated. Thialand is not The Promised Land - it has heaps of competition for international tourists.

3 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Can anybody explain why Thai Immigration issues 3 months Tourist Visas that are only good for 2 months and then require applying for a 30 day extension. Why not just make a 3 month visa a 3 month visa? Thailand bureaucracy always makes simple things complicated. Thialand is not The Promised Land - it has heaps of competition for international tourists.

TV is a 2 month visa.

You should be grateful that 30 day extensions are available same as for visa exempt entry.

Buy an METV you can stay 9 months.

• Like 1

Thank you for the replies all. 

12 hours ago, Mikeheo said:

The ED visa is the easiest route for a year until you can sort something more permanent but be prepared to attend atleast a couple times through the year and visit the MOE. There is no additional 25k needed on top of the schools fee.

Thank you. Regarding the "no additional 25k needed on top of the schools fee" I was told many places that the 25k is for immigration to change tourist visa to non-immigration visa and that the only way to bypass it is to travel outside of the country and get a new visa at a Thai consulate. 

I should add that, were it not for the 25k fee, I would be more than happy to pursue the Non ED route, as I, at any rate, plan on learning the Thai language.

11 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Nationalities of wife and Child?

We're all traveling on Russian passports. Not Thai. 

47 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

OP, bumping your thread as you didn't obtain much advice.

When you state came for 2 months....do you mean entered visa exempt and obtained a 30 day extension?

Apologies, I meant that the plan was to spend 2 months here but decided to stick around longer. Already got a 60 day covid extension for all three of us three weeks into our stay. And thank you for the bump. 

Edited by TonySn0

13 hours ago, TonySn0 said:

I was told that if I get an ED visa, and my wife gets an ED visa, it’s okay if our pre-school child goes without a visa.

Others might know, but can a pre-school child even get an ED visa?  Are there any pre-schools out there registered with the MOE such that they can qualify to get approval from the MOE?

10 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Can anybody explain why Thai Immigration issues 3 months Tourist Visas that are only good for 2 months and then require applying for a 30 day extension.

And to clarify what DrJack said, the STV (single entry) are issued for 3 months - meaning you have to enter BEFORE the 3 months is up, but the visa is valid only for 60 days.  That's a single entry TV.

The METV (multi-entry) allows as many 60 day entries as you like, over a period of 6 months.  (Which can be timed to give you nearly 9 months of stay if you exit and re-enter by the last day of your 6 months and then get a 30 day extension at the end of those last 60 days). 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TonySn0 said:

Apologies, I meant that the plan was to spend 2 months here but decided to stick around longer. Already got a 60 day covid extension for all three of us three weeks into our stay. And thank you for the bump. 

Wow, really?  I'm surprised.  I thought their policy has been to require people on STVs to first get the normal 30 day extension before they can apply for a 60 day covid extension.

Also, I've never heard of them issuing any kind of extension on a tourist visa (or visa exempt) until you are within 30 days of it's expiration.  (They'll sometimes do 45 days ahead for other kinds of visas, but never more than 30 days ahead for tourist visas/visa exempt.)  Maybe this is a new policy?  Or maybe I've just never heard of this being possible before?  (Likely the later!)

17 minutes ago, Brian Hull said:

Can anybody explain why Thai Immigration issues 3 months Tourist Visas that are only good for 2 months and then require applying for a 30 day extension.

A single entry tourist visa is valid to use for entry to the country for the 3 months from the day it is issued. The visas validity has nothing to do with the 60 day permit to stay it allows when entering the country.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, TonySn0 said:

Thank you. Regarding the "no additional 25k needed on top of the schools fee" I was told many places that the 25k is for immigration to change tourist visa to non-immigration visa and that the only way to bypass it is to travel outside of the country and get a new visa at a Thai consulate.

You've heard this from an agent then because the cost to change to an ED is simply the normal cost of an ED Visa (which is either 1900 or 2000).

Previously you had to leave the country to convert to an ED.  Now you can do it by yourself - without any agent - in country.  In fact, a good school will handle it for you.  (They'll go to immigration with you to process the change.)  NO need for an agent to do this.

Note that to extend a 90 day ED visa you will need to study and learn some Thai.  The first time you go to extend your original 90 day ED Visa for another 90 days, you'll be taken to the MOE to take a Thai language test before you can extend.  Need to show that you're actually studying Thai!

14 hours ago, TonySn0 said:

We are eagerly awaiting the “digital nomad visa” Thai government has promised to roll out this year

I'd not be "relying" on that coming any time soon

14 hours ago, TonySn0 said:

Are there any other  options

Yeah, stop trying to be dodgy .  Just live some place where you can do so properly, rather then trying to do it on the down low and hoping for a change in visa scenario.

Leave and see if the new visa is introduced and then reassess if things change in the future and give the kid some stability !

• Sad 2

10 hours ago, asiacurious said:

You've heard this from an agent then because the cost to change to an ED is simply the normal cost of an ED Visa (which is either 1900 or 2000).

Previously you had to leave the country to convert to an ED.  Now you can do it by yourself - without any agent - in country.  In fact, a good school will handle it for you.  (They'll go to immigration with you to process the change.)  NO need for an agent to do this.

I was told about the 25k by the director of the school my child attends, as well as by consultants at two of the language schools I reached out to. If this is indeed the case (only pay 1900 baht), then this would definitely be the best option for me. Will investigate further, thank you. 

11 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Others might know, but can a pre-school child even get an ED visa?  Are there any pre-schools out there registered with the MOE such that they can qualify to get approval from the MOE?

In our case it's a regular international school with kindergarten classes. 

11 hours ago, asiacurious said:

Wow, really?  I'm surprised.  I thought their policy has been to require people on STVs to first get the normal 30 day extension before they can apply for a 60 day covid extension.

I think that we literally just got lucky. A couple in the window next to us asked for 60 day but was told they can only get 30 day extension. We asked for 60 days and got the 60 days. I've spoken to some other travelers since and it seems to be a coin toss, as to which stamp you get, though the rules, as you rightly have noted, state that one must first get the 30 day stamp. 

Edited by TonySn0
added a response

6 hours ago, TonySn0 said:

I think that we literally just got lucky. A couple in the window next to us asked for 60 day but was told they can only get 30 day extension. We asked for 60 days and got the 60 days. I've spoken to some other travelers since and it seems to be a coin toss, as to which stamp you get, though the rules, as you rightly have noted, state that one must first get the 30 day stamp. 

It may also be because you're Russian. Special accommodations are being made ATM for Russians and Ukrainians.

Have you looked into an Elite Visa?

i wouldn't hold your breath for the digital nomad visa
if you got the funds, get an elite family excursion visa, 800k for 5 years for 2 people
not sure if child needs, but its 300k for additional family member

oh well......
just read your post above

Edited by patman30