WHat is the maintenance fee in view talay?

parafareno

7 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some expats treat going to Immigration as a day out, kinda enjoy it, sad but true

The human zoo - a safari rather like Victorians were wont to go and visit Bedlam to see the inmates. Plus some of the cracking mia nois of the pi yais make for good eye candy. What's not to like? Plus a 5 minute stroll from my condo in VT2A . So true but not sad !

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some expats treat going to Immigration as a day out, kinda enjoy it, sad but true.

There are a lot of guys that just sit in their rooms most of the time around Jomtein, or they sit around the bar near their condo. Usually much older guys.

On 3/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, parafareno said:

I am thinkig of getting me a place there

Why would anyone want to live in these places? 

I've got some friends who live there, they love the <deleted> hole. 😂

The on site downstairs bars are full of loser guys, mostly Pom's, whinging and whining.

Every Friday and Saturday evening there's a punch up between 2 or 3 drunken old fools.

Then these guys start a little group who hate another other little group from the next bar, they all stop talking to each other but that is difficult because they pass each other everyday in the hallways. 

Find somewhere nicer mate, it's not a environment for a healthy lifestyle, it has too many foreigners with mental health issues. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

18 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Some expats treat going to Immigration as a day out, kinda enjoy it, sad but true

Well I must admit, I used to also, a breakfast in Simple Simon's, and an hour in an MP in the next street too. Got to get value out of the car-parking charge. 

16 hours ago, JimTripper said:

There are a lot of guys that just sit in their rooms most of the time around Jomtein, or they sit around the bar near their condo. Usually much older guys.

Yes, they just come to kill time in warm climate in cheap country.

As soon their home country gets warm they are gone to enjoy real life again.

They are not after puzzy or night life.

12 minutes ago, GypsyT said:

Yes, they just come to kill time in warm climate in cheap country.

As soon their home country gets warm they are gone to enjoy real life again.

They are not after puzzy or night life.

I think you're right, minus the going home part. They just sit around drinking!

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Why would anyone want to live in these places? 

I've got some friends who live there, they love the <deleted> hole. 😂

The on site downstairs bars are full of loser guys, mostly Pom's, whinging and whining.

Every Friday and Saturday evening there's a punch up between 2 or 3 drunken old fools.

Then these guys start a little group who hate another other little group from the next bar, they all stop talking to each other but that is difficult because they pass each other everyday in the hallways. 

Find somewhere nicer mate, it's not a environment for a healthy lifestyle, it has too many foreigners with mental health issues. 

VT3 has no on-site bars.

On 1/4/2024 at 4:55 AM, CygnusX1 said:

I’ve just paid half that for my annual VT5D fee, no mention of sinking fund. It’s a bit worrying, I’d prefer to pay more, but they’ve just redone the pool area without needing to raise any special levy, so finances don’t seem to be in too bad a shape. Both are huge bargains compared to Australia.

How do you like living in 5D?  What side are you on?  How is the noise from the surrounding area and renovations?

I can't decide between 5D or 2A for a trial run of a month or two before deciding if I want to stay longer term.  5D units tend to be bigger but also cost more.  No need to cross the street to get to the beach. 2A is better for things on that side of Thappraya like the Rattanakorn and Rompo markets, and Foodmart.

Edited by shdmn

23 hours ago, JimTripper said:

3 months is nothing. I can eat at the cafe down there and be happy for 3 months. I'm talking about people that are living around there for a year or more.

Yes, living there and only staying for 3 months in dry season are two complete separate things.

On 1/4/2024 at 6:40 AM, CygnusX1 said:

It’s fairly shady on the right hand side of Thepprasit walking towards Sukhumvit. I suppose it’s technically uphill, but I’ve not actually noticed any gradient. I’m mid sixties with an arthritic knee.

That totally depends on the time of day.  Later on in afternoon yes, in spots.  There are still large open areas with no shade and the gradient is quite noticeable when it's 35c and 80% humidity.

Edited by shdmn

4 hours ago, SAFETY FIRST said:

Yes, that is a nice VT in a nice location, got direct beach access and amongst the trendsetters. 

VT3 pool restaurant has very reasonable prices.  Had a few breakfasts and lunches there.  VT2A pool restaurant is a total rip off.  At least twice the price for most things.

Edited by shdmn

9 hours ago, shdmn said:

How do you like living in 5D?  What side are you on?  How is the noise from the surrounding area and renovations?

I can't decide between 5D or 2A for a trial run of a month or two before deciding if I want to stay longer term.  5D units tend to be bigger but also cost more.  No need to cross the street to get to the beach. 2A is better for things on that side of Thappraya like the Rattanakorn and Rompo markets, and Foodmart.

Sorry about delayed reply, out all day. You seem to already know the important differences.

I love living in 5D - not full time, planning on 6 months Thailand (just less than 180 days!), 3 months Europe and 3 months Australia. I’m on the top floor on the shady (Pattaya) side, wouldn’t consider the sunny side. Aspect’s perfect, because even though there’s no direct sun, you still get to see the sunset from the balcony.

I’ve had zero noise problems, just distant traffic noise when sitting on the balcony, which I don’t hear from inside with the glass doors closed. I wasn’t even aware that there are currently renovations. My crap apartment in Australia’s way noisier due to the array of various machinery used in Australian suburbia. It’s wonderful to see the gardeners in VT5 using rakes and brooms instead of leaf blowers.

Not having to cross Thappraya Road to get to the beach was a big factor in my decision to go for VT5 over VT1 and 2, as I swim most mornings and afternoons. Only need to cross the road to Foodmart once every couple of days. So, it just comes down to how much you’re willing to pay, and if you like going to the beach all the time. I’ve stayed in VT1 (as one of those evil Airbnb guests!) and liked it, great swimming pool, but I’m enjoying the bigger room in VT5. Note the 48 sq m for VT5 studios is 35 sq m room plus 13 sq m balcony.

If you’re here for a couple of months, obvious solution is to stay a month in VT2 and a month in VT5, and see if VT5’s worth the extra.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

Sorry about delayed reply, out all day. You seem to already know the important differences.

I love living in 5D - not full time, planning on 6 months Thailand (just less than 180 days!), 3 months Europe and 3 months Australia. I’m on the top floor on the shady (Pattaya) side, wouldn’t consider the sunny side. Aspect’s perfect, because even though there’s no direct sun, you still get to see the sunset from the balcony.

I’ve had zero noise problems, just distant traffic noise when sitting on the balcony, which I don’t hear from inside with the glass doors closed. I wasn’t even aware that there are currently renovations. My crap apartment in Australia’s way noisier due to the array of various machinery used in Australian suburbia. It’s wonderful to see the gardeners in VT5 using rakes and brooms instead of leaf blowers.

Not having to cross Thappraya Road to get to the beach was a big factor in my decision to go for VT5 over VT1 and 2, as I swim most mornings and afternoons. Only need to cross the road to Foodmart once every couple of days. So, it just comes down to how much you’re willing to pay, and if you like going to the beach all the time. I’ve stayed in VT1 (as one of those evil Airbnb guests!) and liked it, great swimming pool, but I’m enjoying the bigger room in VT5. Note the 48 sq m for VT5 studios is 35 sq m room plus 13 sq m balcony.

If you’re here for a couple of months, obvious solution is to stay a month in VT2 and a month in VT5, and see if VT5’s worth the extra.

How  do you manage to find short term rentals there? Airbnb?

Edited by JimTripper

9 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

How  do you manage to find short term rentals there? Airbnb?

Since I bought my VT5 condo over 4 years ago, I haven’t needed to rent anything in Pattaya/Jomtien. However, I was an Airbnb guest at VT5 at the time I purchased my condo - transformed from a despised and delinquent short term renter to an exalted owner. I imagine there are many VT condos available from Airbnb and other companies, and there are no intimidating signs in the VT5 lobby threatening short term renters. I wouldn’t mind some Airbnb guests, with luck there might be a few young Russian ladies to add a bit of colour to the swimming pool area, but I think the Russians have been mostly priced out of VT5 due to the devastation of their economy by their president.

17 minutes ago, CygnusX1 said:

Since I bought my VT5 condo over 4 years ago, I haven’t needed to rent anything in Pattaya/Jomtien. However, I was an Airbnb guest at VT5 at the time I purchased my condo - transformed from a despised and delinquent short term renter to an exalted owner. I imagine there are many VT condos available from Airbnb and other companies, and there are no intimidating signs in the VT5 lobby threatening short term renters. I wouldn’t mind some Airbnb guests, with luck there might be a few young Russian ladies to add a bit of colour to the swimming pool area, but I think the Russians have been mostly priced out of VT5 due to the devastation of their economy by their president.

I almost rented a unit where you are in 5D, top floor, same side, when I was looking last year. It was my second choice 😆.

I ended up in center instead because I wanted more choices of food and eateries and such around and I did not want to use a motorbike. When I look back on it I think I may have been happier being by the beach at 5D.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Like 1

On 3/28/2022 at 11:08 PM, parafareno said:

2a, 2b, 3, 5 or 8 view talay....

I am thinkig of getting me a place there

Have you thought about View Talay 6?

Most evenings free entertainment. 😮

Always a good idea not to wear white in Pattaya if you are going to upset the locals. 

Edited by SAFETY FIRST

10 hours ago, CygnusX1 said:

but I think the Russians have been mostly priced out of VT5 due to the devastation of their economy by their president.

Seem to be plenty of them about in Pattaya area now, I hear more in Phuket. 

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

Seem to be plenty of them about in Pattaya area now, I hear more in Phuket.

From overheard conversations, most of the non Thais on Jomtien beach seem to be Russian, but since I’m no expert on Slavic languages, some might be from other countries, even Ukraine. I suspect that most are staying in cheaper places than VT5 though. I have no issues with them, nice enough people. I’ve even had to employ the totality of my knowledge of the Russian language - “I’m sorry, I don’t speak Russian”, when a friendly lady swam up to me and said something in rapid Russian, probably along the lines of “This sure beats winter in Siberia, doesn’t it”.

So I checked out VT 2A again the other day.  All units rented right now so I can't see just how small a 37sqm is.  That includes balcony so it's more like 33 not including that.  One thing that bothers me about 2A is the lineup for the elevator.  That would drive me nuts standing around waiting for the elevator and then packing in with all my bags and stuff with everyone else and trying to avoid eye contact.  Living on the first 3 floors (so I can take the stairs instead of the elevator) sounds appealing but apparently mosquitos can be a problem if you do that.

5D doesn't appear as busy so I think the elevator situation would be better there.  Being a bit more expensive keeps away a lot of the 2A riff raff as well.  Not as much stuff on the ground floor but that is not a deal breaker.  I'm not a fan of the 5D entrance.  The whole building is raised up because of the underground parking, so its more effort to climb up into the building.  Sounds trivial but not when you do it several times a day and it's 35c with 80% humidity.

Edited by shdmn

On 1/4/2024 at 5:06 AM, GypsyT said:

Yes! Can't understand that at all. There are many empty lots available if zoning allows supermarkets. They could make killing.

Probably because a lot of the buildings are vacation condos.  There are not enough people there year-round 7 days a week to sustain a mall or supermarket.  The 7-11s and the open markets are probably good enough for most of those people with the occasional trip to FoodMart and Lotus.

Edited by shdmn

26 minutes ago, shdmn said:

So I checked out VT 2A again the other day.  All units rented right now so I can't see just how small a 37sqm is.  That includes balcony so it's more like 33 not including that.  One thing that bothers me about 2A is the lineup for the elevator.  That would drive me nuts standing around waiting for the elevator and then packing in with all my bags and stuff with everyone else and trying to avoid eye contact.  Living on the first 3 floors (so I can take the stairs instead of the elevator) sounds appealing but apparently mosquitos can be a problem if you do that.

5D doesn't appear as busy so I think the elevator situation would be better there.  Being a bit more expensive keeps away a lot of the 2A riff raff as well.  Not as much stuff on the ground floor but that is not a deal breaker.  I'm not a fan of the 5D entrance.  The whole building is raised up because of the underground parking, so its more effort to climb up into the building.  Sounds trivial but not when you do it several times a day and it's 35c with 80% humidity.

Are you going to get a motorbike? If that small incline bothers you you may have difficulty walking around that area in general, even though it's flat. Make sure you walk around the area with daily needs in mind.

Edited by JimTripper

6 minutes ago, JimTripper said:

Are you going to get a motorbike? If that small incline bothers you you may have difficulty walking around that area in general, even though it's flat. Make sure you walk around the area with daily needs in mind.

I walk several km every week.  Small inclines do not bother me, just like walking up 3 flights of stairs do not bother me.  Doing that several times a day when it's 35c and 80% humidity DOES bother me, as it would any other living thing with a pulse. 

A lot of people don't think of these little things that become annoying after living somewhere for a long time.  I do notice those things.

Edited by shdmn

16 minutes ago, shdmn said:

I walk several km every week.  Small inclines do not bother me, just like walking up 3 flights of stairs do not bother me.  Doing that several times a day when it's 35c and 80% humidity DOES bother me, as it would any other living thing with a pulse. 

A lot of people don't think of these little things that become annoying after living somewhere for a long time.  I do notice those things.

Yes, I know. I almost rented at 5D. I chose center instead because I don't want to walk that far to eateries each time. I'm also near the Big C so don't have issues getting anything I need easily and quickly.

3 hours ago, JimTripper said:

Yes, I know. I almost rented at 5D. I chose center instead because I don't want to walk that far to eateries each time. I'm also near the Big C so don't have issues getting anything I need easily and quickly.

What "center" are you referring to?  Center Condotel is not anywhere near a Big C.

4 hours ago, shdmn said:

One thing that bothers me about 2A is the lineup for the elevator.  That would drive me nuts standing around waiting for the elevator and then packing in with all my bags and stuff with everyone else and trying to avoid eye contact.  Living on the first 3 floors (so I can take the stairs instead of the elevator) sounds appealing but apparently mosquitos can be a problem if you do that.

You're overthinking the elevator experience, you'd get on well with @JimTripper . I live on a 4th floor Pattaya condo, mosquitoes are very rare, it's a myth, a friend in another condo 11th floor gets them

41 minutes ago, shdmn said:

What "center" are you referring to? Center Condotel is not anywhere near a Big C.

I mean the central area in general which is very walkable. The area near pattaya klang and big c has many condos with everything you need within walking distance. Lots of quality older condo's around with large rooms, for example PKCP Tower.

The problem for me is that although there are conviences around, I don't like the central area that much otherwise and like the beach area a bit better. Old story really, you can't have everything.

Edited by JimTripper