PCR Test Dropped from 1st April?

Hi, I read that PCR-RT tests will not be necessary from 1st April (this friday in fact). I'm travelling from the UK to bkk, arriving on Sunday. I saw the announcement on https://www.tatnews.org but nothing has been published in the Thai Gazette yet... shall I get a test or there is def no need?  I could wait last minute but tbh if i get one i should order soon.... as it takes a few days to get it and take the test...

Maybe the announcement was an early April fool's day... ????

I checked with the airline and they told me to check with the government...

many thanks

Edited by tezzaaa

9 hours ago, EricTh said:

@tezzaaa

From 1 April, it is not required to have pre-flight PCR test, but you are still required to get one on arrival at the airport.

Actually not at the Airport, but at the ASQ hotel, or the driver that picks you up go to a drive through at a hospital.

• Like 2

OP, as you're in the UK, I assume you have an NHS lateral flow test kit at home?

Why not take one of those for the next few days. Will save on the cost of a PCR test before departure ( which you don't actually require after the 1st)

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

12 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

More likely required by the airlines, or the transit airports. I will be getting a PCR test prior to my next return, to be certain. And in the US, they are free and easy to get. 

Most if not all airlines now follow destination country rules.

Edited by jimn

6 hours ago, RedArmy said:

You have to take one upon arrival anyway. Take one before you leave, that way you will know your negative before arrival. The last thing anyone would want, is testing postive upon arrival test.

How the dynamics will change if you test positive upon arrival but a pre-arrival tests show negative? If you're positive, you are positive. Yes, you can get it done multiple times to confirm it. I think if showing flu like symptoms, a self administered ATK test is better. 

13 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

More likely required by the airlines, or the transit airports. I will be getting a PCR test prior to my next return, to be certain. And in the US, they are free and easy to get. 

Why airlines will require it if the destination country does not require it. Airlines will not restrict themselves to cause passenger's inconvenience. Biden administration is running out of money, they may discontinue it any time unless one has an insurance. At present they don't have money for free booster shot. They are encouraging self administered ATK test and giving away free ATK test kit which I have a couple. 

Edited by Onerak

1 hour ago, CG1 Blue said:

Airlines don't make rules for testing. That would be commercial suicide. Airlines simply follow the arrival country rules. So the OP needs to check the Thai entry rules. 

AFAIK, the pre-arrival PCR test is not necessary from April 1st. But if it were me I'd get a test anyway, Just to be on the safe side. We all know how flaky the rule makers can be in LOS. 

https://www.qantas.com/au/en/coronavirus/pre-departure-testing-requirements.html

I fly next week, and I have booked a PCR test, I'm not going to risk getting on the flight Positive, further more I'll use the negative result to argue if I test positive on arrival. peace of mind for me.

I'll add, with the non profit pre tests, gone and maybe soon arrival test and hotel scrapped. How many more people will "test positive", on arrival !

And if negative I will send to my Hotel prior to arriving

Edited by UKPaul67
added more
  • Like 2

28 minutes ago, LukKrueng said:

The test detects the virus 3-7 days after one got infected. Getting a negative result a day or 2 before the flight doesn't mean the next test will also show a negative result

19 minutes ago, Onerak said:

How the dynamics will change if you test positive upon arrival but a pre-arrival tests show negative? If you're positive, you are positive. Yes, you can get it done multiple times to confirm it. I think if showing flu like symptoms, a self administered ATK test is better. 

I don't know why i bother sometimes. I can't be bothered anymore. I will keep my mouth shut in future.

I have already been through all this <deleted> when i entered Thailand in October & have no plans to be travelling anywhere in the near future.

Good luck to everyone entering Thailand in the near future.

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, RedArmy said:

Personally i would take a RT-PCR test before departure anyway, if only for peace of mind for myself.

You have to take one upon arrival anyway. Take one before you leave, that way you will know your negative before arrival. The last thing anyone would want, is testing postive upon arrival test.

Yeah but except you won't know you're negative before arrival because you may get Covid after your pre-flight PCR, such as at the airport or flying... or you may already be positive before your pre-flight pcr but not showing up yet.

It's a lottery, and I can't wait for May 1st... I fly back to LOS on May 7th

2 hours ago, 4MyEgo said:

Qantas does not have their own pre-flight testing requirement. They only enforce the regulations of the destination country (as all airlines must). If you are flying to the UK, for example, you do not need a PCR test to fly Qantas.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

Exactly my point: 

"The pre-departure testing requirements, including types of acceptable tests and documentation required, are set by the countries you are travelling to and transiting through."

Understand, however Joyce, CEO of Qantas who I saw in a video on an Australian news channel did original state that no one would board a Qantas flight without a PCR test, he was beating his own drum saying it was for the protection of staff and passengers.

I will admit, things change, however there was no mention in his original statement which I cannot find, time lapsing that it was a requirement of other countries.

Totally understand airlines would have to tow the line with other countries requirements, otherwise there would be a heck of a lot of peed off customers.

@Polar Bear

Edited by 4MyEgo

12 hours ago, 2long said:

Yeah but except you won't know you're negative before arrival because you may get Covid after your pre-flight PCR, such as at the airport or flying... or you may already be positive before your pre-flight pcr but not showing up yet.

It's a lottery, and I can't wait for May 1st... I fly back to LOS on May 7th

If a PCR test is taken pre flight to Thailand from the UK and is negative, the virus then takes at least 3 days to get you, which means that you cannot be tested positive when you arrive in BKK, of course the test could be faulty and register positive. This is Thailand. The danger is going to be when you report after five days.

Edited by possum1931
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, possum1931 said:

If a PCR test is taken pre flight to Thailand from the UK and is negative, the virus then takes at least 3 days to get you, which means that you cannot be tested positive when you arrive in BKK, of course the test could be faulty and register positive. This is Thailand. The danger is going to be when you report after five days.

What happens if you are positive just before the PCR but it doesn't show?
Or what happens if you contract Covid after the PCR but before flying?

Or if someone else on the plane somehow got through the system and infected other passengers?

No one can KNOW they're negative, just because of a test result. That's all I'm saying.

3 hours ago, possum1931 said:

It is possible for a PCR test to go positive as early as 24 hours after initial infection, though three to five days is most common. Regardless, a negative test three or four days before your on arrival test means that there is a period of time before arrival when you could go from negative to positive, including being infected at the time of your pre departure test, but not yet replicating the virus to a detectable level. You can dramatically reduce your risk of that happening by avoiding all contact with others for a week prior to your departure, but almost no one will do that. In my view, the most practical pre departure test to use is a rapid antigen test taken just before leaving home for the airport. Although such tests are less sensitive than PCR, in practice, viral replication at the time of an initial positive on PCR is so rapid that the rapid antigen test will be positive only a few hours later.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2022 at 11:18 AM, CG1 Blue said:

Airlines don't make rules for testing. That would be commercial suicide. Airlines simply follow the arrival country rules. So the OP needs to check the Thai entry rules. 

AFAIK, the pre-arrival PCR test is not necessary from April 1st. But if it were me I'd get a test anyway, Just to be on the safe side. We all know how flaky the rule makers can be in LOS. 

I'm afraid that is not correct. There are some airlines that require you to take a PCR test before flying. This is normally for passengers that are not vaccinated but not exclusively. Here is an extract from Etihad airways.

You need to take a PCR test 48 hours before your flight if you're not vaccinated