Home EV car charger

12 hours ago, Yellowtail said:

Someone claimed that because of climate change, "In Thailand air-conditioning is no longer considered a luxury.", to which I responded that climate change has nothing to do with it, and stated that if indeed air-conditioning is no longer considered a luxury in homes, it is because of affluence, not necessity.

You have to put my comment in context to understand it. I was replying to a comment about the grid not being designed for charging electric cars  - which I agreed with! I went on to say that that the grid was also not designed for increased aircon use and the increased electrical use associated with the 21stC.  - You can't blame all grid problems on electric cars. 

Maybe a picture will help.

AseanNow.jpg

On 4/1/2022 at 5:46 PM, zoolander said:

We are thinking about buying a MG EV and wondered what it needs for charging at home.

I am not sure what your complete motivation is to buy an EV but unless you are going to use that vehicle strictly for local trips, the charging infrastructure in Thailand would make long trips at best a challenge. 

I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla Cross and it has a hybrid engine.  I actually would have chose the gas model except only the most base model came with no hybrid engine option. 

I had previously owned a hybrid Lexus and candidly I was disapointed.  Spent an extra $10,000 because of it being a hybrid and it got no better mileage than the same model Lexus we had before and after we sold the hybrid and returned to gas only cars.  Also the resale value was no better. 

The current Toyota Hybrid is much better.  You can not tell when you shift from EV to gas or vice versa.  I am getting consistently 18 km per liter and I have no worries or hassles with charging and it takes only a few minutes to refill its tank. 

Personally, I would not own an all electric car because of the charging issues.  One thing is for sure, the EV cars are more expensive and in the USA 80% of all EV cars are leased not purchased because the resale value has to be propped up by the manufacturers to make them attractive.  Used EV buyers are hesitant for fear they will get stuck with an expensive battery replacement bill.  It doesn't matter if that is true or not, the thought is there and that plays into the resale value.  

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/5-reasons-lease-not-buy-electric-car

Leasing has grown in popularity — now making up almost 27% of all new car sales. But when it comes to electric vehicles, 80% are leased, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. (This excludes cars made by Tesla, which sells directly to consumers and doesn’t report lease data.)

If you bought an electric car and decided to sell it even a year later, its value would have depreciated dramatically — “like a used bedsheet,” as one commenter wrote on car sale site Autotrader. In fact, on average, 2020 electric vehicles have depreciated about 52% from the sticker price in the first year, according to data from iSeeCars.

36 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I am not sure what your complete motivation is to buy an EV but unless you are going to use that vehicle strictly for local trips, the charging infrastructure in Thailand would make long trips at best a challenge. 

If you can't find a charging station, then you're not looking very hard. 

Far from a complete list, as MG's aren't even listed: "MG is expanding the network of fast charging stations under the name MG SUPER CHARGE to over 100 MG dealers nationwide by December 2020. MG also plans to expand MG SUPER CHARGE to 500 additional stations by 2021. For the convenience of all Thai consumers, you will be able to access electric charging stations every 150 km."

Most malls I've been to, along with chain hotels now have charging stations.  To think otherwise, is just ignorance or from the silly anti-EV crowd.

1_jK-NaUtfbzyHwyL3zXgU_w.jpeg

Edited by KhunLA
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If you can't find a charging station, then you're not looking very hard

Possibly,

However my point still is THERE ARE ISSUES.  I hardly want to be going out of my way, or doing a search while traveling to 'find that charging station"   Also, I would not like to have to sit in my car plugged in for an extended period of time while it charges. 

Now perhaps that is something you are willing to put up with as well as spending the extra hundreds of thousands of baht so that you can feel "green" while of course the power plant that generates the electricity is burning natural gas or coal to provide it but not for me. 

Perhaps in the future EV vehicles will solve many of those problems but for now, the EV owner will spend more money than they ever recoup in savings and have the added burden of installing a charger, and sitting in charging locations as part of their "experience" of feeling green. 

As said, I get 18 KM per liter.  I spent hundreds of thousands less than an all EV model, dont have to worry about where my next charging station is, or sit in that car waiting for it to charge.  If you enjoy all of those "attributes"  good for you. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

I recently purchased a Toyota Corolla Cross and it has a hybrid engine.  I actually would have chose the gas model except only the most base model came with no hybrid engine option. 

I had previously owned a hybrid Lexus and candidly I was disapointed.  Spent an extra $10,000 because of it being a hybrid and it got no better mileage than the same model Lexus we had before and after we sold the hybrid and returned to gas only cars.  Also the resale value was no better. 

The current Toyota Hybrid is much better.  You can not tell when you shift from EV to gas or vice versa.  I am getting consistently 18 km per liter and I have no worries or hassles with charging and it takes only a few minutes to refill its tank. 

Personally, I would not own an all electric car because of the charging issues.  One thing is for sure, the EV cars are more expensive and in the USA 80% of all EV cars are leased not purchased because the resale value has to be propped up by the manufacturers to make them attractive.  Used EV buyers are hesitant for fear they will get stuck with an expensive battery replacement bill.  It doesn't matter if that is true or not, the thought is there and that plays into the resale value.  

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/5-reasons-lease-not-buy-electric-car

Leasing has grown in popularity — now making up almost 27% of all new car sales. But when it comes to electric vehicles, 80% are leased, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. (This excludes cars made by Tesla, which sells directly to consumers and doesn’t report lease data.)

If you bought an electric car and decided to sell it even a year later, its value would have depreciated dramatically — “like a used bedsheet,” as one commenter wrote on car sale site Autotrader. In fact, on average, 2020 electric vehicles have depreciated about 52% from the sticker price in the first year, according to data from iSeeCars.

I actually think that leasing is a good idea, particularly in Thailand where the used car market is not very sophisticated. I was at the Korat Motor show last week and BMW have a "Freedom Choice" deal where you can return the car after 4 years or buy it with a balloon payment. 

1. ReTurn
2. ReNew
3. ReTain
4. ReFinance 

521018016_BMWiX3lease.jpg.dcb698b86a08af000d62db22e465ed9e.jpg

1 hour ago, Longwood50 said:

One thing is for sure, the EV cars are more expensive and in the USA 80% of all EV cars are leased not purchased because the resale value has to be propped up by the manufacturers to make them attractive. 

Secondhand EV prices are rising in the west

In the USA:

https://thedriven.io/2022/03/09/secondhand-tesla-prices-are-shooting-up-as-petrol-prices-and-new-car-wait-times-blow-out/

In the UK: 

https://inews.co.uk/news/second-hand-electric-vehicles-record-demand-1448015

55 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Secondhand EV prices are rising in the west

It "could be"  Certainly with the gasoline prices rising any car that uses less gas is going to be more attractive.  However the opposite occurs if gas prices drop. 

I have purchased cars and leased cars.  The cars that make the most sense to lease in the USA are the most expensive models and ones that retain a high proportion of their 'residual value"  

With leasing the payments are caluclated based on the amount of the purchase price of the car called the "capitalized cost" minus its residual value That is the estimated value of the car at the end of the lease.  Then there is the lease finance charge based on the "capitalized cost" for the number of years that the car is leased. 

Leasing is popular for expensive cars because sales tax in the USA is based on the purchase price.  However, when leasing, the tax is only on the amount of the lease payment.  So a purchaser of a car lets say costing $100,000 will immediately have to pay $7,000 in a state that charges 7% sales tax.  If the lease on that car hypothetically is showing a residual value of 50% at the end of 4 years and a 1.5% lease interest rate, the person leasing would pay on.y 7% on the monthly payments of 1168.09 or $81.76 per month.  That $81.76 is spread over each of the 48 payments rather than upfront and it would total $3924.28.  So that person saved a substantial amount of money. 

Leases don't work well if the person drives an excessive number of miles.  The buy out on the lease is a great option.  If the value of the car exceeds the calculated residual value, then it "might" make sense to buy it.  If you wanted to do something else, or the car is now worth less than its estimated residual value, you just turn it in, and no hassles with selling. 

I still believe that EV values will have a much steeper depreciation curve as the vehicle approaches the time estimated that it will need its batteries replaced.  A person would be very foolish to buy a car with 10 year old mileage and technology and then pay thousands more to refurbish it with a new battery pack. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You have to put my comment in context to understand it. I was replying to a comment about the grid not being designed for charging electric cars  - which I agreed with! I went on to say that that the grid was also not designed for increased aircon use and the increased electrical use associated with the 21stC.  - You can't blame all grid problems on electric cars. 

Maybe a picture will help.

What I understood you to say was that air-conditioning has become a necessity in Thailand rather than a luxury due to Climate Change. What does context have to do with it? If that's not what you meant to say I apologize. If that is what you meant to say, what does context have to do with it? It's either true or is isn't. I don't think it's true,  and I think I have supported my position that it is not true. 

So to be clear, did you mean to say that air-conditioning is now a necessity rather than luxury in Thailand?

If so, did you mean to say that the reason air-conditioning is now a necessity rather than luxury in Thailand because of climate change?

I think we all understand and agree that as we see more EVs, more air-conditioning, more electrical appliances and more electronic devices that all put additional load on the grid, the capacity of the grid will have to be increased. 

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

Used are car prices are up YOY about 40% across that board, that us EV have gone up with them is not surprising. Also, given gas has almost doubled I imagine that helps boost EV prices as well. 

I think EVs are great, and if I were going to buy a second car I would absolutely consider one. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

It "could be"  Certainly with the gasoline prices rising any car that uses less gas is going to be more attractive.  However the opposite occurs if gas prices drop. 

I have purchased cars and leased cars.  The cars that make the most sense to lease in the USA are the most expensive models and ones that retain a high proportion of their 'residual value"  

With leasing the payments are caluclated based on the amount of the purchase price of the car called the "capitalized cost" minus its residual value That is the estimated value of the car at the end of the lease.  Then there is the lease finance charge based on the "capitalized cost" for the number of years that the car is leased. 

Leasing is popular for expensive cars because sales tax in the USA is based on the purchase price.  However, when leasing, the tax is only on the amount of the lease payment.  So a purchaser of a car lets say costing $100,000 will immediately have to pay $7,000 in a state that charges 7% sales tax.  If the lease on that car hypothetically is showing a residual value of 50% at the end of 4 years and a 1.5% lease interest rate, the person leasing would pay on.y 7% on the monthly payments of 1168.09 or $81.76 per month.  That $81.76 is spread over each of the 48 payments rather than upfront and it would total $3924.28.  So that person saved a substantial amount of money. 

Leases don't work well if the person drives an excessive number of miles.  The buy out on the lease is a great option.  If the value of the car exceeds the calculated residual value, then it "might" make sense to buy it.  If you wanted to do something else, or the car is now worth less than its estimated residual value, you just turn it in, and no hassles with selling. 

I still believe that EV values will have a much steeper depreciation curve as the vehicle approaches the time estimated that it will need its batteries replaced.  A person would be very foolish to buy a car with 10 year old mileage and technology and then pay thousands more to refurbish it with a new battery pack. 

I think tax incentives made leasing real popular in the US back in the sixties, seventies and perhaps eighties, but when the tax breaks dried up they seemed to morph into something else. I've never seen a car lease that made economic sense to me. The "off lease" used are market was pretty good for a while but seemed to go south as well.

Actually, I expect resale values of the ten-year-old used EVs to really take off once we see more and bigger aftermarket players. I expect it won't be long before we see plug-and-play batteries and upgrades that are significantly cheaper than OEMs. 

When you can buy a ten-year-old EV from a dealer with a new aftermarket battery that comes with a fresh six year warranty I think the price goes up. Electric motors seem to last forever. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Actually, I expect resale values of the ten-year-old used EVs to really take off once we see more and bigger aftermarket players.

Well you view it differently than I do.  You can replace the engine in a 10 year old ICE too  but people don't do it because the car, its technology and the wear and tear on the car is still 10 years old. 

Leases make perfect sense for high priced vehicles that people routinely change every 2 - 4 years because their routine is to get a new car every 2 - 4 years and the lease helps them avoid having to pay the full sales tax on the entire purchase price up front. 

Leases do not make sense if you drive a lot of miles, keep the car for an extended number of years, or the car is like a Lincoln whose value drops like a rock.  Toyota Camry though they are not expensive compared to a BMW or Mercedes are good lease cars since they have a high residual value.  The used 2 - 4 year old Camry holds it value so the person leasing only pays the amount the car depreciated in lease payments plus the interest carrying charge. 

Right now leases on EV comprise 80% of the sales.  The manufacturers to boost sales are artificially keeping the residual value high to keep the lease payments low.  That also allows the car companies to control the resale market since they get the cars that come off lease and they can then dictate what those used off lease cars sell for. 

Now that works providing that consumers don't shun those 2 - 4 year old EV's and the price drops like a rock and the manufacturers take a bath on the resale.  

I know this, without the rebates, tax incentives, and manufacturer lease promotions on EV's they would sell even fewer.  Now with gas costs up, more consumers will look at EV's but anyone who thinks they can "save money" by buying an EV is deluding themselves.  

They cost substantially more to begin with, right now they depreciate faster, and finally do you really believe the electric rates will stay the same once the power company has to ramp up to meet the higher electric needs and they know they have you by the throat.  

This is all an orchestrated game plan to either incentify or coerce people to buy EV's.  There is scant attention to the fact that the USA and most of the world lacks the power capacity to provide that electric if a substantial percentage of the cars on the road were electric. 

Just looking at the MG ZS price.  The top model gas is 799,000 baht the equivalent ZS electric is 1,190,000 for 2021.  They had to lower the price to 1,023,000 for 2022 because customers balked at paying such a huge difference for the same car.  Even at that, the customer will over the life of the car have to recoup that difference in fuel savings and that assumes the resale value of the electric is the same percentage of value between the gas and electric models.  If as I suspect the ultimate resale value of 7 - 10 year old electric cars falls off the earth, that loss of value has to be factored into the total cost of ownership. 

Even assuming one can make a case for the electric, which I think is problematic, it still does not eliminate the extra hassle and time to charge the vehicle.  Also when you plug in your electric vehicle needing a charge and wake up to find the power went out you will have to quick run along with everyone else to the charging station to begin your nap while the car charges.  Not for me. 

The MG EV has a good reputation but it has a premium price and technology that is now several years old. 

The Chinese are turning out new cars at near ICE car prices with newer technology such as over the air updates and in car disco (We farangs may not need that but I guarantee your Thai significant other will want it.).  If I were in the market for an EV I would be ordering a Chinese made one from Great Wall, BYD, Neo, etc.

The newer Chinese cars are using lower cost Lithium Iron Phosphate (LFP) batteries.  LFP batteries currently have a lower power density than Tri Metal (cobalt, manganese, nickel) lithium ion batteries but that won't be true by next year.  Tri Metal batteries charged to more than 80% and discharged to less than 20% suffer increased degradation. LFP batteries can be charged to 100% then used right down to 0% charge with almost no harm to them.  Do the math, 60% of full charge mileage with Tri Metal or 100% of full charge mileage with LFP and don't be surprised if LFP doesn't give you the same or more mileage.  For the same amount of degradation LFP batteries can also undergo many more charges, perhaps 3000 vs 1200.  BYD even gives a life time guarantee for the Blade LFP batteries in their Han auto in China - it is called the Atto 3 when exported and the guarantee will vary with the distributor.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

The MG EV has a good reputation but it has a premium price and technology that is now several years old. 

The Chinese are turning out new cars at near ICE car prices with newer technology...

I actually prefer as little tech / options as possible in a new car.  

#1 ... I don't need as I probably won't use

#2 ... options seem to malfunction

#3 ... lower price never hurts

All Asian manufacturers seem to have the drivetrains down to a science, and most complaints always seem to be about the options / extras c r a p'ing out.  

Edited by KhunLA

28 minutes ago, HarrySeaman said:

There is a new 2022 Model MG ZS EV 

https://topelectricsuv.com/news/mg/2022-mg-zs-ev-comparison/

ZS EV.jpg

I think we need a separate discussion on EVs in Thailand

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Like 2

On 4/1/2022 at 7:11 PM, steve187 said:

while we are on the subject of power for ev, what sort of solar set up would be required for day time charging

Way, way, way more than you ever dreamed. These are high voltage /high current batteries. If you could do it that would take weeks to charge. 

If it was that easy we would be driving solar-powered cars.

• Like 1

Well you view it differently than I do.  You can replace the engine in a 10 year old ICE too  but people don't do it because the car, its technology and the wear and tear on the car is still 10 years old. 

Well, I've replaced a few engines (and rebuilt a couple more) in ten-year old vehicles and gotten significantly more useful life out them. I've also replaced batteries in all manor of equipment which typically doubles the life over and over.

And to be clear, rich people don't do it, still plenty of poor people replacing/rebuilding engines. 

Leases make perfect sense for high priced vehicles that people routinely change every 2 - 4 years because their routine is to get a new car every 2 - 4 years and the lease helps them avoid having to pay the full sales tax on the entire purchase price up front. 

Which is why they don't make economic sense to me.  

Also, I think if we factor in the additional insurance costs of a lease, the sales tax benefits may not be so attractive, Incidentally, some states have no sales tax and many/most have less than 7%. 

But for people that want to get a nice new car every couple years they may be great. 

Leases do not make sense if you drive a lot of miles, keep the car for an extended number of years, or the car is like a Lincoln whose value drops like a rock.  Toyota Camry though they are not expensive compared to a BMW or Mercedes are good lease cars since they have a high residual value.  The used 2 - 4 year old Camry holds it value so the person leasing only pays the amount the car depreciated in lease payments plus the interest carrying charge. 

But I thought it was the high-priced vehicles they made sense for, no? 

Right now leases on EV comprise 80% of the sales.  The manufacturers to boost sales are artificially keeping the residual value high to keep the lease payments low.  That also allows the car companies to control the resale market since they get the cars that come off lease and they can then dictate what those used off lease cars sell for. 

You had me until you said the the car companies "...control the resale market...".

Now that works providing that consumers don't shun those 2 - 4 year old EV's and the price drops like a rock and the manufacturers take a bath on the resale.  

But when governments mandate a certain percentage of a manufacturer's product offering be EVs, the manufacturers have to do something with all the EVs no one wants. 

I know this, without the rebates, tax incentives, and manufacturer lease promotions on EV's they would sell even fewer.  Now with gas costs up, more consumers will look at EV's but anyone who thinks they can "save money" by buying an EV is deluding themselves.  

Absolutely, but most people in the market for new cars  know they are only pretending to save money. 

They cost substantially more to begin with, right now they depreciate faster, and finally do you really believe the electric rates will stay the same once the power company has to ramp up to meet the higher electric needs and they know they have you by the throat.

But they are saving the world, and all the hot chicks that used to like guys with hot cars are are "theys and thems" that like "theys and thems" with eco-friendly EVs now. 

This is all an orchestrated game plan to either incentify or coerce people to buy EV's.  There is scant attention to the fact that the USA and most of the world lacks the power capacity to provide that electric if a substantial percentage of the cars on the road were electric. 

It is soft coercion. 

Just looking at the MG ZS price.  The top model gas is 799,000 baht the equivalent ZS electric is 1,190,000 for 2021.  They had to lower the price to 1,023,000 for 2022 because customers balked at paying such a huge difference for the same car.  Even at that, the customer will over the life of the car have to recoup that difference in fuel savings and that assumes the resale value of the electric is the same percentage of value between the gas and electric models.  If as I suspect the ultimate resale value of 7 - 10 year old electric cars falls off the earth, that loss of value has to be factored into the total cost of ownership. 

Dude, you sound like an engineer. Do you still have an electric eraser or pocket protector somewhere you cant bear to throw away? Get you an advanced degree like a EdD and everything will make sense. 

Even assuming one can make a case for the electric, which I think is problematic, it still does not eliminate the extra hassle and time to charge the vehicle.  Also when you plug in your electric vehicle needing a charge and wake up to find the power went out you will have to quick run along with everyone else to the charging station to begin your nap while the car charges.  Not for me. 

Do you mean that when it takes twenty minutes to quick-charge your car at the pump rather than five minutes to fill your tank there will be lines and you will have to wait? How is that possible? 

Clearly the market for EVs will be daily-drivers charging at home. Perfect for urban dwellers. The poor will just have to walk or talk the bus. They don't have any money to go anywhere anyways...

23 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

Way, way, way more than you ever dreamed. These are high voltage /high current batteries. If you could do it that would take weeks to charge. 

Not if everyone comes home at 5:00 and plugs in at the same time. 

23 minutes ago, RocketDog said:

If it was that easy we would be driving solar-powered cars.

At the rate solar and battery technology is advancing we will be in the next few years. As I understand it, there was a company that had patented a solar car the you can drive during the day, which charged the batteries enough that you could drive all night. Unfortunately the greedy oil companies bought the patents and destroys the technology. I had a link to the company website but there was an anti-trust case filed and apparently the Evil Republicans shut it down and the site is gone. 

6 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

There is scant attention to the fact that the USA and most of the world lacks the power capacity to provide that electric if a substantial percentage of the cars on the road were electric. 

Nobody seems to be addressing this as we all rush to buy electric vehicles.

7 minutes ago, VocalNeal said:
6 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

There is scant attention to the fact that the USA and most of the world lacks the power capacity to provide that electric if a substantial percentage of the cars on the road were electric. 

- You personally can be energy independent by charging from your rooftop

-  A country like Thailand could easily become energy independent using Solar

- Those without solar can charge at night when demand and prices are low

- With V2G that 100kWh battery parked on your driveway could feedback to the grid when Demand and Prices are high

- Solar and V2G produce more robust and diversified local networks so you don't have to send power across the country with a single point of failure on high voltage transmission lines or centralised power plants.  

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Possibly,

However my point still is THERE ARE ISSUES.  I hardly want to be going out of my way, or doing a search while traveling to 'find that charging station"   Also, I would not like to have to sit in my car plugged in for an extended period of time while it charges. 

Now perhaps that is something you are willing to put up with as well as spending the extra hundreds of thousands of baht so that you can feel "green" while of course the power plant that generates the electricity is burning natural gas or coal to provide it but not for me. 

Perhaps in the future EV vehicles will solve many of those problems but for now, the EV owner will spend more money than they ever recoup in savings and have the added burden of installing a charger, and sitting in charging locations as part of their "experience" of feeling green. 

As said, I get 18 KM per liter.  I spent hundreds of thousands less than an all EV model, dont have to worry about where my next charging station is, or sit in that car waiting for it to charge.  If you enjoy all of those "attributes"  good for you. 

Well, if you own your own home, why would you sit in the car while it's charging? 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

You personally can be energy independent by charging from your rooftop

Yes, so yet another great benefit from owning a EV car is not only do you get to spend money on electric service for your car charger since the sun does not always provide you with enough energy, you get to "invest" some more money on solar panels 

And of course lets not forget those panels don't last forever but rather cost more to recycle than build new so they end up in the landfills.  But I am sure Thailand would never throw hazardous trash away.  

https://scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/Library/OR-1695.pdf

image.png.b009192d7b54dd68e8ac2667ee108d0b.png

15 hours ago, VocalNeal said:

You are correct, it is actually more stupid than that.  The same people who are promoting electric vehicles are the same ones who object to more power plants being built. 

• Like 1