Home EV car charger

I had been seriously interested in an e-car.

But only under the condition that I can charge it cheaply overnight!
That is why the purchase failed!

Since I live in a condo it is not allowed to install a wallbox on common property!

So nothing with charging in the Condo own parking garage!

Also has something good in retrospect!

Who buys a used E car after 8, or 10 years when the battery warranty ends?
And a battery costs depending on the car between about 200.000.- - 400.000.-THB!
Since the used car will probably no longer bring much?

1 hour ago, Yellowtail said:

You seem to be confused. I am not now nor have I ever argued against anyone buying an EV, i think it's great that people that want them can buy them.

I am against compelling people to buy EVs. Clear? 

Maybe you should re-read my original reply, with your comment highlighted, to help you understand my reply.  I'm not confused at all.

12 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Where do y'all come up with these silly prices ... ????

This is from a pro EV website. Seems that prices are in the ballpark.

Bottom line: the cheapest estimate for an out-of-pocket, uncomplicated battery replacement on the Model S should cost about $12,000-$13,000 for the battery, $100-200 for miscellaneous parts, and $500-600 for labor. This puts the grand total at around $13,000-$14,000 for a full Model S battery replacement.

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/tesla-battery-replacement-cost-explained/

19 minutes ago, chickenslegs said:

This is from a pro EV website. Seems that prices are in the ballpark.

Bottom line: the cheapest estimate for an out-of-pocket, uncomplicated battery replacement on the Model S should cost about $12,000-$13,000 for the battery, $100-200 for miscellaneous parts, and $500-600 for labor. This puts the grand total at around $13,000-$14,000 for a full Model S battery replacement.

https://www.findmyelectric.com/blog/tesla-battery-replacement-cost-explained/

Don't think anyone buying a Tesla in Thailand is going to be concerned about the cost of replacing some battery modules if needed, after 300-500k miles of driving.  

2019 (3 yr old tech) report:  https://electrek.co/2019/10/21/tesla-model-3-100000-miles/

"He said that he now gets a max range of 302-308 miles, which is about a 2.5% loss on his original 310 miles of rated range when he bought the vehicle."

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

It is like saying there is an active market for cars that are used but ommitting the fact that the car is 20 years old, has 1 million km on it, and has been in an serious accident.  Junk is junk and the world will throw it out when it is no longer serviceable.  

That's true, but with 80% remaining capacity after 25 years (as called out in a typical warranty), I know a lot of Thai people who would gladly hop on that "dead" horse and ride it another 25 years.  By which time, some genius will have come up with an economical process to recycle the materials.

You'd have people lining up to take those 80% "junk" panels off your hands, and they'll still be better than a brand new panel was 10 years ago when they weren't nearly as efficient and cost twice as much.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 2

12 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes for now.  However when the power companies have to build more power plants and improve the grid to meet the demand do you really think that electric rates are going to remain as low as they are now?  Particularly when the power companies know they have you by the throat with you requiring their service to now charge your car as well as power your home.  

Unlike the case in many western countries the provision of electricity hasn’t been privatized in Thailand so there are no power companies.

That aside considering how long the majority of people keep their cars here I cannot see a huge rush to EV’s and I certainly will not be one.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Unlike the case in many western countries the provision of electricity hasn’t been privatized in Thailand so there are no power companies.

That aside considering how long the majority of people keep their cars here I cannot see a huge rush to EV’s and I certainly will not be one.

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

Reasons I own an electric car:

- I don't pay for fuel as I use solar after my house batteries are full

- I don't have to worry about fuel price rises or fuel shortages

- I drive a top of the range luxury SUV the size of a Honda CRV but cheaper than the bottom of the range CRV

- Relaxing and silent to drive 

- Great performance with instant torque and a 0-60 in 6.9 seconds

• Like 2

11 hours ago, buddy2010 said:

I had been seriously interested in an e-car.

But only under the condition that I can charge it cheaply overnight!
That is why the purchase failed!

Since I live in a condo it is not allowed to install a wallbox on common property!

So nothing with charging in the Condo own parking garage!

Also has something good in retrospect!

Who buys a used E car after 8, or 10 years when the battery warranty ends?
And a battery costs depending on the car between about 200.000.- - 400.000.-THB!
Since the used car will probably no longer bring much?

How much do you think you're going to get for any car that's 8-10 years old?

Also, battery costs have been steadily declining. So, it's overwhelmingly likely that they will be costing a lot less 8-10 years from now.

And the founder of Redwood recycling, one of the founders of Tesla, estimated batteries should last for about 15 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, StevieAus said:

What's more, in most countries where electricity is supplied by private companies, the rates are subject to regulation. They're not free to charge whatever they wish.

14 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Yes for now.  However when the power companies have to build more power plants and improve the grid to meet the demand do you really think that electric rates are going to remain as low as they are now?  Particularly when the power companies know they have you by the throat with you requiring their service to now charge your car as well as power your home.  

I don't know where have lived, but in most (all?) countries where power is provided by private companies, rates are subject to regulation. Do you really think a government is going to give a monopoly the power to set its own rates?

On 4/5/2022 at 9:50 AM, Longwood50 said:

Personally, I would not own an all electric car because of the charging issues.  One thing is for sure, the EV cars are more expensive and in the USA 80% of all EV cars are leased not purchased because the resale value has to be propped up by the manufacturers to make them attractive.  Used EV buyers are hesitant for fear they will get stuck with an expensive battery replacement bill.  It doesn't matter if that is true or not, the thought is there and that plays into the resale value.  

https://www.nerdwallet.com/article/loans/auto-loans/5-reasons-lease-not-buy-electric-car

Leasing has grown in popularity — now making up almost 27% of all new car sales. But when it comes to electric vehicles, 80% are leased, according to Bloomberg New Energy Finance. (This excludes cars made by Tesla, which sells directly to consumers and doesn’t report lease data.)

If you bought an electric car and decided to sell it even a year later, its value would have depreciated dramatically — “like a used bedsheet,” as one commenter wrote on car sale site Autotrader. In fact, on average, 2020 electric vehicles have depreciated about 52% from the sticker price in the first year, according to data from iSeeCars.

First off, get your facts straight. The 52% price decline touted by Iseecars was for 3 years, not 1 year.

https://www.iseecars.com/off-lease-car-deals-study

The problem with lumping all EV's together is that it takes no account of 1 important distinction: range. EV's with a long range fare far better when it comes to depreciation:

https://www.drivingelectric.com/best-cars/1810/slowest-depreciating-electric-and-hybrid-cars

https://www.carwow.co.uk/blog/do-electric-cars-depreciate#gref

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bandersnatch said:

- I drive a top of the range luxury SUV the size of a Honda CRV but cheaper than the bottom of the range CRV

If I go the E-car route, very likely, (have E-motorcycle) that sums up why.  I believe MG now offers free charging, and a charging station < 5 kms from house, including the U-turns ????, just in case overcast & solar not up to the task that day.  Free coffee & danish, use their internet, by the time I'm done trolling AN, the car is topped up ... ????

On 4/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Longwood50 said:

And of course lets not forget those panels don't last forever but rather cost more to recycle than build new so they end up in the landfills.  But I am sure Thailand would never throw hazardous trash away.  

https://scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/Library/OR-1695.pdf

image.png.b009192d7b54dd68e8ac2667ee108d0b.png

On 4/6/2022 at 11:23 AM, Longwood50 said:

Yes, so yet another great benefit from owning a EV car is not only do you get to spend money on electric service for your car charger since the sun does not always provide you with enough energy, you get to "invest" some more money on solar panels 

And of course lets not forget those panels don't last forever but rather cost more to recycle than build new so they end up in the landfills.  But I am sure Thailand would never throw hazardous trash away.  

https://scdhec.gov/sites/default/files/Library/OR-1695.pdf

image.png.b009192d7b54dd68e8ac2667ee108d0b.png

Where are you reporting from? 2012? Did you even read that report in its entirety?

Recycling Options for Solar Panels in South Carolina

"By weight, 80 percent of a solar panel is glass and aluminum, which is easy to recycle. Solar panels contain the rare elements gallium and indium that can be captured through recycling."

13 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

If I go the E-car route, very likely, (have E-motorcycle) that sums up why.  I believe MG now offers free charging, and a charging station < 5 kms from house, including the U-turns ????, just in case overcast & solar not up to the task that day.  Free coffee & danish, use their internet, by the time I'm done trolling AN, the car is topped up ... ????

After my first MG service (I have 5 years of completely free servicing) they washed the car inside and out and left the car on a charger. I got a notification on the app it was charging and waited until it had enough charge then went to pick the car up. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, impulse said:

You'd have people lining up to take those 80% "junk" panels off your hands, and they'll still be better than a brand new panel was 10 years ago when they weren't nearly as efficient and cost twice as much

So what you are saying, is that it has not worked in the past but trust me that "this time will be different"

Please explain to me then why we have so much plastic, glass, metal, paper, in the Thai landfills and people are not flocking their to mine that treasure.  For that matter they don't even have to go to the landfill just grab all the trash you believe is so valuable along the sides of every street. 

Picture of just one landfill in Thailand will what you will agree must be a "fortune" in unrecovered resources. Please note all the people there to recycle it. 

image.png.d9fda76c9371e5f446e29a150b92800f.png

39 minutes ago, Longwood50 said:

So what you are saying, is that it has not worked in the past but trust me that "this time will be different"

Please explain to me then why we have so much plastic, glass, metal, paper, in the Thai landfills and people are not flocking their to mine that treasure.  For that matter they don't even have to go to the landfill just grab all the trash you believe is so valuable along the sides of every street. 

Picture of just one landfill in Thailand will what you will agree must be a "fortune" in unrecovered resources. Please note all the people there to recycle it. 

image.png.d9fda76c9371e5f446e29a150b92800f.png

Another junk argument. In fact, solar panels are now being recycled. It's still a young industry because there hasn't been much supply.

What's more to conflate solar panels with all other waste is just nonsense. It's a separate stream. Just as scrap metals are today.

Edited by placeholder

13 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Woher kommt ihr nur auf diese blöden Preise... ????

"Where do you guys come up with these stupid prices...? ????"

Quite simple, just inform yourself like for example by the manufacturer!

But write stupid statements is probably easier!

5 hours ago, placeholder said:

What's more, in most countries where electricity is supplied by private companies, the rates are subject to regulation. They're not free to charge whatever they wish.

Not sure which countries you are referring to costs in Australia continue to rise and friends in UK say very expensive.

5 hours ago, Bandersnatch said:

Your choice I am not interested which is my choice.

2 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

Not sure which countries you are referring to costs in Australia continue to rise and friends in UK say very expensive.

Well, there are regulations in both countries. Providers aren't free to charge whatever they wish.

6 minutes ago, placeholder said:

Well, there are regulations in both countries. Providers aren't free to charge whatever they wish.

To bring this to a timely end I responded to a post where the poster made a comment about private companies supplying electricity here and increasing prices.

I pointed out that private companies don’t supply the electricity here not about the cost. 
Time to move on

30 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But they are allowed to make a profit, and when the price of oil/gas/coal goes up, the price of electricity goes up with it. 

1 minute ago, Yellowtail said:

But they are allowed to make a profit, and when the price of oil/gas/coal goes up, the price of electricity goes up with it. 

But the original post made by longwood was that the increase in prices would allow providers to profiteer. That's different from raising rates.

27 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

To bring this to a timely end I responded to a post where the poster made a comment about private companies supplying electricity here and increasing prices.

I pointed out that private companies don’t supply the electricity here not about the cost. 
Time to move on

Here's what you wrote:

13 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

Good thing I'm in, and we're talking about Thailand, as it hasn't changed much worth noting in the 20+ yrs I've been here.  ฿4 per kWh / PEA unit +/-, depending on one's usage.  Still expensive, compared to where I lived in the USA (at the time), but steady on, no major increases, surprises here.

image.png.8a9e86a956a7b7fc677139598b9d9e6d.png

Top up a MG ZS EV 50KwH battery from 0-100% = ฿220 (50 X ฿4.4)

vs my MG EV (ICE) @ ฿1300-1500, and that's with cheap E85 ????

EV warranty @ 180k kms / 11 kpl X ฿33 = ฿540k for petrol (energy)

180k kms / 320 kms (WLTP) = 562.5 X 220 = ฿124k for charging (energy)

฿540k - 124k = ฿416k saved on energy cost alone

Edited by KhunLA

4 minutes ago, placeholder said:

But the original post made by longwood was that the increase in prices would allow providers to profiteer. That's different from raising rates.

But according to the Biden Administration, the cost of oil doubling is due in large part to profiteering, yes?

So assuming utilities are allowed to charge cost-plus, the profiteering of the greedy oil companies (or solar panel providers) will be reflected in the cost of energy, yes? 

2 minutes ago, Yellowtail said:

But according to the Biden Administration, the cost of oil doubling is due in large part to profiteering, yes?

So assuming utilities are allowed to charge cost-plus, the profiteering of the greedy oil companies (or solar panel providers) will be reflected in the cost of energy, yes? 

You're really reaching, aren't you? Longwood claimed that power providers would profiteer.  Oil prices aren't under regulatory control. Electricity rates are.