Alleged kidnappers revealed as Thai police

webfact

20 hours ago, LarrySR said:

Happened years ago.

I recall them kidnapping a guy on Soi Thonglor in front of Starbucks, locking him up in a safe house and draining his ATM card of the maximum amount each day.

Another case was the 'Duty Free theft scam" at the airport, where the cashier would fail to charge the customer for some item, then police waiting for them, accusing them of stealing, locking them up in a crummy short time hotel, threatening long jail time, arranging an expensive fake lawyer, forcing them to pay a huge fine then setting them free. 

Rumor had it that the guy running that duty-free chain had a personal connection to a certain exiled PM.  I remember once the press picked up on a certain case and they released a security video of the crime that was inconclusive at best. 

I guess a lot of us who have time to kill before boarding a flight might browse in these places, this kind of nonsense put an end to that.

On 4/2/2022 at 7:42 AM, mikebell said:

'police arresting police happens all of the time,' says the man in charge of the investigation.

So how come there are still any police left ? will the last one please turn off the A/C and close the door after him.

• Haha 1

Such wonderful community policing they deserve an international award for excellence and a jolly to Dubai . Oh wait they already got one in the top award for crime prevention category. reported here 18 March 22.  ????

22 hours ago, kingstonkid said:

There are "dirty" cops in every country

In other Banana Republics yes. I think the issue here is how many gangster and corrupt cops are in Thailand.

• Like 2

On 4/2/2022 at 6:53 AM, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Nah really , who wouild have thought that our esteemed Royal Thai Police are guilty .

Knock me down with a feather , NOW LET US see IF Asean news will report the punishment  these OFFICER S incur.

AN can only do that if the information is released to the media and someone else publishes it first.   

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, brianthainess said:

So how come there are still any police left ? will the last one please turn off the A/C and close the door after him.

and the light at the end of tunnel??

Whoops, that is the train coming up the line

20 hours ago, kimamey said:

Good luck

One other point. A woman my wife worked with needed to borrow some money.  It was because of some problem with illegal lottery. I don't understand it or what the problem was but we lent the money and she paid it back. She lives with a lawyer although that may have been later and I'm not sure if she still does the illegal lottery.  My wife told me her relative "runs illegal lottery. Lives with policeman". I don't know if I was supposed to make a connection there or not but I have noticed a BMW outside the house. 

I know several Thai women involved in illegal businesses who are married to Thai Policemen. 

• Like 1

On 4/2/2022 at 6:59 AM, smedly said:

where's the usual finger pointing photo that follows these crimes - that would be a rather confusing one to say the least 

You're right I knew something was missing I'm now looking for a good laugh when they do the reenactment

On 4/1/2022 at 4:43 PM, 4MyEgo said:

Just goes to show this is the tip of the iceberg, police mafia is ripe in the LOS.

Forever and a day, actually. 

The way that the trickling down Oligarchical system operates. 

The policing branch, as a collective, doesn't function independently. 

They still answer to their superiors. 

Those are the inquiries that are never truly chased. 

Following the hierarchy and the crux is never challenged and larger ignored.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Whale said:

In other Banana Republics yes. I think the issue here is how many gangster and corrupt cops are in Thailand.

There are corrupt cops in every city and country in the world. I would not say that Canada is a banana republic but it has  been prven that there are police that look the other way in Toronto

.https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/toronto-area-police-officer-sentenced-to-7-5-years-in-jail-following-corruption-investigation-1.5748444

https://www.justice.gov/usao-edny/pr/three-current-and-former-nypd-officers-charged-bribery

On 4/2/2022 at 2:10 PM, RJRS1301 said:

True, however in Thailand, which is where we are, they seem more blatant, numerous and  inept at their corruption and crimes than many western countries

The reason here for the blatant corruption is two fold

1. police are paid <deleted>

2. bribes and corruption is a way of normal life in this country.  It is like prostitution it is illegal but is widely accepted until someone goes off the rails in a big way.

40 minutes ago, kingstonkid said:

There are corrupt cops in every city and country in the world. I would not say that Canada is a banana republic but it has  been prven that there are police that look the other way in Toronto

Thailand, if I were to guess has about 90% of its cops active in corruption and a system whereby you pay for a promotion. I hardly think we can put Canada in the same group, Cambodia and Myanmar maybe.

No traffic cop in the US, Canada, EU or even Russia has asked me for money, ever. Here? Well where do we start. 

Edited by Whale

9 minutes ago, Whale said:

Thailand, if I were to guess has about 90% of its cops active in corruption and a system whereby you pay for a promotion. I hardly think we can put Canada in the same group, Cambodia and Myanmar maybe.

Don't they have to pay to even get the job, foot on a rung?

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Whale said:

No traffic cop in the US, Canada, EU or even Russia has asked me for money, ever. Here? Well where do we start. 

Whale  I agree that corruption is greater here no question but if you check my other post  there is a reason for it.

As to your comment about traffic cops looking the other way I agreed with you until you you said ever.  

I know for a fact that there were police in the Ontario (Kingston) region that when I was a teen that did look the other way for people that were DWI,   

To say it does not happen I would not be so sure but will give you the benefit of the doubt but to say it never happened sorry.  I know of times that it did.

To say it n