Unsure about my situation - Can i get my first Covid extension in Chiang Mai, and better to use AQ.IN.TH?

I am a Canadian passport holder having entered on Visa Exemption (30 days) on Feb 13, already did a 30 day extension thru an agent in Pattaya. Extension expires on April 13th. I am in Chiang Mai and considering staying longer and looks like i can apply but reading the threads it looks iffy? looking out for pitfalls.

I used AQ.IN.TH to handle my Thailand pass as i was travelling in another country at the time they reopened it and had very tight deadline before was flying. They are offering a Covid extension service (with courrier service for the passport).

Details:

- I entered on Visa Exemption as a Canadian, red stamp visa class W. 30 (well it's the thai letter looking like "W"): admitted 13 Feb 2022 / until 14 Mar 2022

- Got a 30 day extension on March 1st thru a Pattaya agent: purple stamp, "Extension of stay permitted up to 13 Apr 2022". Didn't need Covid insurance for the renewal, or flight out of the country. Was ready the next day.

-Currently in Chiang Mai, optimally would do the extension from here but if it makes things easier could head down to BKK/Pattaya next weekend but then only two office days left until Songkran. ?

My questions:

1) Is a Covid Extension is available to me? I have had conflicting info: An expat visa agent here in Chiang Mai told me 2 days ago it isn't, because i entered the country too late for it to apply to me. OTOH, before i did my did my extension in Pattaya, thru Line i chatted with AQ.IN.TH, they asked for a pic of my stamp and said it was available to me (prior to my extension...). The agent in Pattaya said i needed to do a regular 30 day extension first.

2) If i try to extend in Chiang Mai in person, will they ask for an Embassy letter or Covid Insurance? Will i need the proof of residence form from an hotel (TM30 i believe)?

3) Flight ticket out of the country (but this would defeat the justification of the Covid extension i suppose)?

4) In my situation, is it worth the 6300 thb to use AQ.IN.TH and their courrier or just do it myself at the Chiang Mai office?  I just need to buy some pants lol.

Thanks for your clarifications.

You entered visa exempt and already got your regular 30-day extension, which means you're now eligible for a Covid extension. If you want to deal with Chiang Mai immigration yourself or use an agent instead is mostly a matter of convenience; you shouldn't have any problem either way.

AQ,IN.TH or Thai Visa Centre as they go by definitely provide a quick and reliable service, if you want to avoid the stress of Chiang Mai immigration, I'd go with them. Not had the best experience at Chiang Mai immigration along with many others but your mileage may vary.

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised that they're offering Covid extensions to tourists that entered Thailand as late in the game as 2022.

Not that I have any energy one way or the other, and Thailand sure needs the tourist $$$.

2 hours ago, impulse said:

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised that they're offering Covid extensions to tourists that entered Thailand as late in the game as 2022

Many tourists visit Thailand for several weeks and a tourist visa is adequate.

Some routinely visit each year and plan on longer stay.

Currently a border run or visa in nearby country difficult.

My guess is covid extensions being provided for this reason. 

5 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

As said above, use of agent is up to you. I did as I hate dealing with immigration. 4,000 B plus 1,900.

Geez that's bit rich but as you mentioned it's an option.

Obviously for your extension there was no under consideration period?

4 hours ago, impulse said:

Gotta say, I'm a little surprised that they're offering Covid extensions to tourists that entered Thailand as late in the game as 2022.

Not that I have any energy one way or the other, and Thailand sure needs the tourist $$$.

A business that needs money would do the same.   Especially a country that loves money.  There isn’t an oversupply of money.  Nobody is saying too many tourists, except falang.  Should be free to enter soon……a drug dealer knows this.   First one free.    The mistake is in the bureaucracy .  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

Geez that's bit rich but as you mentioned it's an option.

Obviously for your extension there was no under consideration period?

Agreed, it is steep but that seems to be the going rate for CE's up here.

I was getting grief trying to obtain my last CE as I entered on a STV otherwise I would have done it myself.

Yes you avoid the under consideration nonsense

8 minutes ago, Greenwich Boy said:

Agreed, it is steep but that seems to be the going rate for CE's up here.

I was getting grief trying to obtain my last CE as I entered on a STV otherwise I would have done it myself.

Yes you avoid the under consideration nonsense

Yes some offices play games.

USA couple (friends) needed agent as Hua Hin were requiring a letter from embassy.

The affidavit wasn't sufficient.

5500 each, however that included the 1900 application and no under consideration period. 

They were traveling (tourists) so having to return for stamp would be very inconvenient. 

Edited by DrJack54

2 minutes ago, JimboRingo said:

Did you use an agent, and how long did it take to do?

I did use an agent mainly as I wanted to avoid the under consideration stamp and having to return in 15 days. Process is go to agent, they take the copies and you sign where asked.

They get you an appointment at immigration in the next couple of days 

You go to immigration, meet agent and get stamped. About 15 minutes actually at immigration.