Can the Thai hospitality sector survive 2022?

webfact

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Thailand is now the most searched-for destination in the world on travel according to giant Agoda’s search engine.

Searched for.... but not arrived in the same numbers.

• Like 1

Can the Thai hospitality sector survive 2022?

Sectors of course will survive even if they hibernate & wake later but

all the workers? How will they feed themselves or their families, pay their bills?

If this does not end soon expect a large uptick in crime as when all options are exhausted &

there is no government welfare support only crime as an option remains

Also beware becoming a target as those who appear to have $$$ are the low hanging fruits

This country although opinion is well hidden is close to civil unrest/war IMO it is like a tinder box

awaiting a match

Edited by mania
  • Like 2

The Thai industry can survive but it has to change it's plan.  As I keep saying instead of trying to attract outside tourism they need to attract the Domestic's market.

Places like Pattaya need to look at how they can attract the families and the university youth markets.  Forget about the bad old days they at least for awhile are gone.

5 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

As for Agoda and Booking.com ..... I've uninstalled the apps from my phone as it doesn't appear I will be able to leave Thailand then re-enter in the near future without buying needless expensive insurance I don't want.

I dont think they can get 'real tourists' real soon with Russians/Chinese stopped from flying out. They arent making things easier for reat of the world. With Inflation growing and income stagnating, I do see social unrest in LOS....

• Like 1

Couple days ago had a discussion with the farang monk who originally introduced me to Thailand. We agreed that the one positive in the situation is that, no matter how low on the social ladder, it's almost impossible to starve to death in Thailand. But just having to say that kind of tells you where we're at.

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

I see social unrest everywhere ..............

I agree but Thais are little more agreeable to their surroundings if their stomachs are full but if not, then you may expect them to publically protest which end up turning violent , circa 2010. I am sure Junta wont like red shirts again starts barricading Bangkok like they did in 2010. So they need to open economy and tourism. 

• Haha 1

Yes they can survive if and only if the people from TAT and other government related agencies start to shut up. Agoda and many others are just in the hands of a few people, they don't give a F,,, about THailand and its people only profit is what they are looking for. 

8 hours ago, RandiRona said:

Well....I heard this like 100 times that Agoda searches are favoring Thailand, havent seen those searches turned it into booking. Keep dreaming!!! 

Not surprised. As often as I search for destinations outside Thailand,

every time I start searching, I am offered destinations in Thailand by Agoda on the search screen.

It's a bit like Google, I guess. You can search for results in English and 'out of region' for ages, but you still have to re-adjust language and location settings every day to not just get Thai and locally-sourced search results.

Edited by StayinThailand2much
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, carlf said:

I'm surprised that I don't read more about trying to entice more Japanese to come on holiday here.  It's a huge generalisation, but they are usually great customers: well behaved, don't make trouble, spend quite a bit, and not so far away.  And they just recently opened up Japan for quarantine-free entry FOR THE JAPANESE who are abroad (not yet for the non-Japanese tourists to enter Japan).  So I'm guessing that a lot of Japanese are looking to go on holiday now, and Thailand still has a pretty good reputation amongst Japanese tourists, I think.

Agree 100%.  And just to add regarding their great customer image,  before covid, LOS was the weekend playground for Japanese men.

A 4 hour non stop flight to BKK from Tokyo for hedonism and pure debauchery.  The girls loved and preferred them over most customers because of their reputation as big spenders and great tippers. Soi Cowboy and Walking Street was their stomping ground. 

7 hours ago, Jerno said:

Does Agoda explain the many hoops Tourists have to jump through to get into Thailand?  Most searched,   least followed through once the hoops are discovered.

Many hoops?

Not any more...

• Confused 1