Bangkok Bank froze my account, need help approaching the problem after 1 month of no progress

I have recently travelled to another South East Asian country after staying in Thailand for several years. I alerted Bankgok Bank to my travel plans, but after a week in the new country they froze my account citing "suspicious activity." At first, they said I had to go back to Thailand to fix it, but this wasn't feasible, for starters, they froze my account which would provide the money for the flight, etc. Then, they had me electronically sign documents to verify my identity. They said they'd get back to me in 7 business days. They didn't I called them and finally got them on the phone. They said the IT department would investigate and it would take another "5 days" and they'd call back. They didn't. When I got them on the phone again (after they kept hanging up on me) they claimed they'd already tried calling, which my phone has no record of. Shortly after that I receieved an email saying the problem was fixed, thus they had "closed the case." I tried my debit card and it still doesn't work. Does anyone have any ideas how else I can approach them? The local branch in this country says they can't help because it isn't where i opened the account. I really need that money like 3 weeks ago. It seem like they're just trying to stall me untill I leave them alone and they get to keep the money. I'm also worried that by "closing the case" it will be another month of them giving us the run around. 

• Sad 1

16 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Keep calling them and escalate if you aren't getting adequate answers.

Last resort is going back to Thailand to your branch

That's what I would do. If calls and emails won't help, fix problems in Thailand with own branch or head office. 'Local branches' of Thai banks abroad are different legal entities and won't or can't help with issues in Thailand.

1 hour ago, teacherc137 said:

really need that money like 3 weeks ago. 

Can't someone wire you money? You have a credit Card?

Also, just a bit of advice  keep an active account with ATM card from your home country for this type of situation.  

I've already had friends wire me money, but I need acess to this account and have maxed out a credit card waiting to resolve the issue. Part of the problem is they didn't unfreeze the account in time for me to have my job transfer my next paycheck to a different account. Further, that I have a lot of bills right now and I really need the money that my job just paid me.

1 hour ago, teacherc137 said:

froze my account citing "suspicious activity

Hmmm, seems strange. 

You got any crypto accounts connected to you BKK Bank account. 

I read they're cracking down on crypto tax, etc. 

When traveling I generally use my Kasikorn card but last few years been using my BKK Bank card, used it in 6 countries, never an issue. 

• Like 1

And @simon43 the mobile banking app is no help. @scubascuba3 Yes, going back to Thailand would be the ideal solution, however it's really not financially viable because money is to tight. I'm apprehensive to "escalate" because I don't want them to get defensive and have the process come a strand still. It's why I sough out advice, I'm never sure how hard to push, how assertive to become before making them "lose face" etc.

Thank you everyone for you advice though, I appriciate it.

• Like 1

it is just a case of inefficient / lazy bank clerks.

i tried twice to change my phone / passport number with bangkok bank.

in both cases, i had to wait until nothing hapaned, than return to the bank and ask what

happaned, than they would apply again for the phone number change with the other branch,

than again nothing happaned, than they called the other bank, and there they said

some stupid excuses, and than, only than, the numbers changed !!!

so what hapans is simply that those bankers see a farang account from

another branch, and skip it, because they are too lazy. they know the farang

will not come tomorrow to ask what hu ha/

so your best solution is just to try again and again .

• Sad 1

23 hours ago, teacherc137 said:

after they kept hanging up on me

If (I'm not suggesting you are) you're raising your voice, being rude, curt, abrasive, etc, they will hang up on you, maybe tone down the aggressiveness and see if it helps.  

What's that old saying?  You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar.

I had a similar issue with a bank account at HSBC in Hong Kong. I was locked out for about two years. No amount of phone calls or letters was any help. There is no branch in Bangkok so I was told I had to go to a branch in Hong Kong to fix it but I refused to make a special trip on principle.

They offered one solution to reactivate which was for me to make a payment into the account by cheque, but I didn't have a cheque book and the only way I could apply for a cheque book was by letter, and when I did that, their system didn't recognise my signature.

In the end, I had to go to Hong Kong and yes I was <deleted> furious about it. Especially when they compared my actual signature to the signature on their system and admitted it was exactly the same.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, RJRS1301 said:

or a separate credit card with another bank

Yeah...one more chance ....but i prefer my cash credit amount as a reserve still better ...., as no chance a push of a button or computer order can block that ????

Edited by david555

OP sorry for your predicament. Always good to have a back-up plan and several cards whether credit or debit. I just don't get the whole <deleted> with Bangkok Bank. Your situation, inbound international remittances not showing as such to satisfy immigration, 5 days wait for an annual (full 12 month) statement. My GF is not Thai and she has Bangkok Bank and she hates it. She couldn't get Kasikorn Bank as agent was friendly only with BKK Bank. I've had two accounts for nearly 20 years with Kbank and their app is great as is their whole setup. I got 1 year statement and bank letter at Chaeng Wattana immigration last week and was done in 10 minutes. Haven't been to my registered branch in 10+ years. Updated passport number by phone and email with their helpful call centre too. Got a new ATM/Debit card at a completley different region in February 2022 all done in about 25 minutes. Used my Kbank card with no issues in Myanmar - and that was over 6 years ago! Kbank is the way to go and so glad/lucky I made that choice.

Edited by soi3eddie

On 4/4/2022 at 5:10 PM, simon43 said:

OP, do you have their mobile banking app? You could send your money to another account.

What isn't exactly clear from the OP, and two very different things indeed, is if they froze the account altogether or just the debit card.

On 4/4/2022 at 6:10 PM, simon43 said:

OP, do you have their mobile banking app? You could send your money to another account.

Yes, not working cuz the account is frozen. Although they said the card and account is working, but the ATM machine automatically declined me when I tried. Thanks for the suggestions, as always. I'm grateful that people here are at least trying to help.

5 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

I had a similar issue with a bank account at HSBC in Hong Kong. I was locked out for about two years. No amount of phone calls or letters was any help. There is no branch in Bangkok so I was told I had to go to a branch in Hong Kong to fix it but I refused to make a special trip on principle.

They offered one solution to reactivate which was for me to make a payment into the account by cheque, but I didn't have a cheque book and the only way I could apply for a cheque book was by letter, and when I did that, their system didn't recognise my signature.

In the end, I had to go to Hong Kong and yes I was <deleted> furious about it. Especially when they compared my actual signature to the signature on their system and admitted it was exactly the same.

That sounds like a nightmare. My eyes bulged when I saw "two years." Frankly, it's not the only problem I'm having with a Thai bank. I had another accoutn that got hacked, most likely by skimming, took half my balance. That bank has been "investigating" for almost a year now. I don't expect to get that money back but I can't afford to lose what's in the frozen account.

I have been a customer of Bangkok Bank for 32 years and I am satisfied!

I also already had account blockings ;-(

But one thing is clear:

THIS problem you can ONLY, and EXCLUSIVELY only, regulate with the branch where you opened the account!
Since no other branch or the main office interferes!

All my own experience!

• Sad 1

14 hours ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

Unless living in a country that is still in 19th century, credit is the way to go. 

In first instance ..yes.... but it i would not be the first one who got his card blocked rightious or by accident ....bank thinking fraud happening ...and there you sit empty pocket wherever you are ????

On 4/4/2022 at 4:20 PM, teacherc137 said:

seem like they're just trying to stall me untill I leave them alone and they get to keep the money.

Aaaah, so who are you

Elon Musk or 

Jeff Bezos

Bangkok bank is one of the biggest banks in Thailand, I don't reckon they're to interested in your money. 

Unless you are one of the above.