Fifty tonnes of unripe durian due for export impounded by Thai authorities

webfact

Thai-PBS-World-logo-89.jpg

Thai agricultural officials impounded about 50 tonnes of durian at an export warehouse, in the eastern province of Chanthaburi province yesterday (Monday), after they found much of the fruit was unripe.

A special team of durian inspectors visited a warehouse in the Noen Soong sub-district for a random search of the Mon Thong durian, which were packed in cardboard boxes ready to be exported to China.

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Initially, the officials selected two boxes for examination and found some of the durian to be unripe, which is regarded as substandard. Then, they ordered many more boxes to be opened for inspection.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/fifty-tonnes-of-unripe-durian-due-for-export-impounded-by-thai-authorities/

Logo-top-.png

-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2022-04-05

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bradiston said:

What about the mountains of unripened avocados in the supermarkets in Thailand, from New Zealand and Peru, to name just two? And the same for the local produce. Inedible, cut far too early.

Avocados are a bad comparison.  They do not ripen on the tree.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

A special team of durian inspectors visited a warehouse in the Noen Soong sub-district for a random search of the Mon Thong durian, which were packed in cardboard boxes ready to be exported to China

Trusted Thailand.

I was of the belief that most fruit was dispatched in an unripe state and basically ripened during the delivery period ?

I used to some part time work ( to get extra beer tokens for my Thailand trips ) at the local Fyffes banana storage facility, they came in unripe, were stored in temperature controlled areas and moved to different storage areas at differing temperatures before going out for delivery.

• Like 1

Does durian continue to ripen?

It's a matter of taste. Since your durian is already cut, as it continues to ripen (which it will, although much more slowly than uncut fruit) it is also rotting/fermenting (which is desired by many).

How long does it take durian to ripen?

'Chanee' durian takes 2 to 4 days to ripen after harvest, while 'Monthong' durian takes 4 to 6 days, depending on maturity. Fruit at 85% maturity, based upon days from anthesis and rind characteristics, ripen to excellent quality in less than 1 week at 28 to 31°C (82.4 to 87.8°F)

So if you export when ripe , they will become rotten Durians. 

• Like 2

the protocols for exporting/transporting various fruits will be different. it would seem daft to export ripe fruit, but equally daft to export too young/unripe fruit which will not ripen. there will be a point at which fruit is picked in order for it to be approaching ripeness when it hit's the shops. you'd think the agriculture employees know this and that, in this situation, there have been contraventions.

possibly the article could have been better researched and written?

• Like 1

For me it looks like a typical try of the inspectors to request a brown envelope.

Probably the exporter didn't agree to the game (because it's so obviously nonsensical), and now they compete who holds out longer ...

• Haha 1

Seems to be a Giant problem here ,It doesn't matter what fruit one wants to buy It's Never Ripe /Sweet. It's the Greedy farmers ,they don't care if the fruit is properly ready ,they are only growing it for the money. But in the long run it will bite them in the butt . Great job ,unripe fruit is very bad and sometimes poison,  

The unripe ackee contains the same poison as the lychee, known as hypoglycin, Srikantiah said.

The toxic nature of the ackee fruit is well-understood in Jamaica and West Africa, where the plant is grown. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

Impounded about 50 tonnes of durian at an export warehouse

I reckon it's been confiscated for personal use and resale. 

18 hours ago, webfact said:

after they found much of the fruit was unripe

You'll see it for sale on the side of the road over the next few weeks

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, Golden Triangle said:

I was of the belief that most fruit was dispatched in an unripe state and basically ripened during the delivery period ?

I used to some part time work ( to get extra beer tokens for my Thailand trips ) at the local Fyffes banana storage facility, they came in unripe, were stored in temperature controlled areas and moved to different storage areas at differing temperatures before going out for delivery.

Exactly, my dad used to transport Fyffes bananas and they were green when delivered to stockists who then managed their stock for ripeness at point of sale, this article makes little sense to me!

• Like 2

20 hours ago, bradiston said:
21 hours ago, rwill said:

Avocados are a bad comparison.  They do not ripen on the tree.

Is that possible? Do they just hang there and never ripen? How do they propagate then?

The fruit never gets soft on the tree.  It will develop more oil in the fruit over time.  Eventually the oil goes rancid and the fruit drops from the tree.  That does not mean the seed won't germinate.  But they don't grow avocados from seed.  It most likely will not be the same as the parent tree.

• Like 1