In Thailand, the war in Ukraine divides the generations

webfact

The Prime Minister, when the war started, defended his neutrality by saying the issues were complicated and needed careful analysis and thought.

The Prime Minister, when closing down the Army TV channel, said it should not be reporting in depth on the war. He said there was no need for complicated analysis and coverage.

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Russians descended from, occupied for 250 years by & strongly admire the savage merciless Mongols and adopted all their brutal war tactics including indiscriminate savagery against military & civilians, including their own civilians! Raped every female aged 8 to 80 they could find between Moscow and Berlin 1942-45.

All well documented….

All well documented? A really interesting fact: No other armies were raping every female like the one army well "documented". (ever seen the documents when the officer shot his man on a spot after such offence?)

Then, surprisingly, in the peace time, long after the great war, suddenly there are every year so many "documented" cases (and many never documented) when the fellow female soldiers (sorry, servicewomen) are sexually assaulted. And not only in the foreign bases - where the females are afraid to go evenings on toilet -  but also in the home bases.  The numbers of such cases are much higher than the casualties in a combat (e.g. in Iraq).

And do not ask me for a link (as you do not ask for a link to a "document"), just google with the correct tags.     

• Confused 5
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, vandeventer said:

Young or old who would stand with Putin's Russia? I would rather live in a cave without his oil and gas that supports him in this massive killing of the Ukraine people. I can't see how India and the EU can do this, there must be other places they can go for oil and gas, like the USA which has the most oil and LPG in the world but has no interest in doing the right thing by helping out other countries not even there own.

Maybe India some EU countries are smarter than following the narrative that is being perpetrated and there is some hidden agenda like in all wars. All this nonsense is about 10% true at best. I’ve lived in both Russia and Ukraine and Ukraine presently is under the control of a actor dancing to some elses tune. Be nice if everyone just went home.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 3

When you are young , you look different to the world then being older.

Growing older you get know the world isnt what you first thought.

There is no communism nor democratie, just plain capitalism and dictators, in all countries every time again.

It is in human way, me first and to hell with others.

Buddha was a prince and lived 2500 years ago and was concerned about the suffering of the people.

Can you imagine 2500 years ago and already with so less people on earth. 

Even longer time ago, im not religious, but in bible the story is told.

Kaïn slaughtered his brother Abel, because he was doing well.

So Abel was becoming a dictator?

Im always thinking why god, if he exist, created humans? Its a miracle, as he knew already, it would go wrong.

If you see the docu about Putin, you are amazed to see from where he came.

And yes he developed himself in that bad way and now is completely lost. Once he was younger, maybe "had good ideas". Now he grew older and is just a super power dictator, in same principles as Lenin and Stalin.

Also China, Mao was also a dictator, just his personal gain. 

They were young and fought against royal houses as they were no good and ...dictators.

But then on power, they became the same people they hated. Ideals gone and change. 

Same as any other leader of any country, they are all dictators and it is getting worse in time.

And they all forget why they did it and put personal stupid ideas first.

In this world we have so many Poetins .. Hitlers (company leaders), all based on the same dictator principles. 

Indoctrination, suppression, that will work. for THEM.

Every time again with humans, where ever to which country you go.

It is now waiting for China to start with Taiwan, wait for it , it will happen.

4 hours ago, John Drake said:

So, again I ask, why don't the Thai elites send their children to Russia and China to be educated? Why don't they buy real estate there? Why didn't they travel to Russia and China for Covid vaccines, instead of the US? Why do they buy US and Western businesses and not Russian ones? Why do they buy European soccer teams and not Russian ones?

was hoping the  older conservatives describe Russia as a longstanding friend would know about that

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dyertribe said:

Among the young there is a strong desire to stand by Ukrainians, while older conservatives describe Russia as a longstanding friend

Even long standing friends can make bad choices and do bad things.

and sometimes long standing friends can drag you down when they fall

The young people see and hear what is happening in the real world, while the old here in Thailand only listen what old and unwise people tell them they should believe.... The Government is uncapable in every subject, they are friends of Putin so they will tell how they need Russia and the Ukraine.....that was Russia??? or did we miss something?? they will think... 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Guderian said:

I was interested to read some numbers in this week's Economist magazine. There was an article about Russian tourists stranded in tropical holiday spots due to the war, and the numbers quoted are:

Thailand   -  7,000

Sri Lanka  - 11,500

Bali            - 19,000

It seems that Thailand is not such a hot favourite with the Russians any more, and I'd guess than many of the stranded tourists are younger folk so, you might say, represent the future for SE Asian tourism. 

Rich Russians always favor Turkey, it's nearby, friendly, clean.... Bali, Dubai next but lately seen a lot of them around Israel beaches, Thailand was always a place for easy sex, stay a couple days or a week and go back

1 hour ago, TropicalGuy said:

Russians descended from, occupied for 250 years by & strongly admire the savage merciless Mongols and adopted all their brutal war tactics including indiscriminate savagery against military & civilians, including their own civilians! Raped every female aged 8 to 80 they could find between Moscow and Berlin 1942-45.

All well documented….

did you wanted to say from Ulaanbaatar Улаанбаатар Mongolia to Berlin

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, billsmart said:

I think, unfortunately, it all depends on what channel's news you watch... ????

I encouraged my students to watch and read from several international news sources. Today we also have the social network ability to see Ukrainian citizens factual live video of the reality. More difficult to propagandize those multiple first had videos.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, vandeventer said:

Young or old who would stand with Putin's Russia? I would rather live in a cave without his oil and gas that supports him in this massive killing of the Ukraine people. I can't see how India and the EU can do this, there must be other places they can go for oil and gas, like the USA which has the most oil and LPG in the world but has no interest in doing the right thing by helping out other countries not even there own.

As a student of history I am well aware of the multiple faults of the USA, however, I also must face historical fact. The USA has aided others on various occasions (open to the reality of seeing where it benefitted the USA in the long run but that does not negate the positive). Case in point, the distribution of vaccines (thank, I received my free Pfizer shots in Thailand). The mass shipment of humanitarian and military supplies to aid in th resistance to Russian military aggression (arguably in the USA interests). And, if I recall correctly steps have already been taken to help our NATO Allie’s face sanctions of Russia fuel supplies. Again, no denying the US faults but … what is that saying? Ah yes, give the devil his due …

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, John Drake said:

So, again I ask, why don't the Thai elites send their children to Russia and China to be educated? Why don't they buy real estate there? Why didn't they travel to Russia and China for Covid vaccines, instead of the US? Why do they buy US and Western businesses and not Russian ones? Why do they buy European soccer teams and not Russian ones?

Don't stir. Indeed the resent that most conforts in their corrupt lives have been invented in the West. The exceptions being whores and drugs.

5 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Young = naive and emotional.

Older = wiser and level-headed.

Principle is universal. So obvious it wasn't worth saying - even by the Guardian.

What is more interesting is the obvious left-right divide when it comes to the war. (Left-right in politics nowadays of course no longer means rich vs poor, but bleeding hearts vs hard-headed.) The left is on the side of Ukraine because they assume Ukraine is the victim (without giving any thought to the complex background and history of the war), and victimhood is the apotheosis of leftism

Ok then we tell the families of all innocent Civilians they found shot with their hands tied behind their back and buried in kids' sandpits because it's easier than digging a hole in the sand than dirt that they are guilty as hell.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, wwest5829 said:

“If I were a rich man …” ah remember “Fiddler on the Roof”?Now read more of Russian history and the Jewish Pogroms there. There certainly is enough to condemn in history all around. But the current issue is the unilateral invasion by the Russian military into the sovereign country of Ukraine. Interestingly,I can find Nazi in the USA readily enough … hmmm, Russian people there as well … invasion justification? Not so easy pickings …

You can find Nazi in USA as part of military battalion ? Paid and armed by US government ? Care to share more light on this 

Obviously the older Thais are more worried about their pocket books than what’s moral or right it’s painfully obvious what mr Putin is doing in the most brutal way possible no excuses full stop!I stand with the Ukrainians in their quest for independence alongside with all right thinking decent people

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

As a student of history I am well aware of the multiple faults of the USA, however, I also must face historical fact. The USA has aided others on various occasions (open to the reality of seeing where it benefitted the USA in the long run but that does not negate the positive). Case in point, the distribution of vaccines (thank, I received my free Pfizer shots in Thailand). The mass shipment of humanitarian and military supplies to aid in th resistance to Russian military aggression (arguably in the USA interests). And, if I recall correctly steps have already been taken to help our NATO Allie’s face sanctions of Russia fuel supplies. Again, no denying the US faults but … what is that saying? Ah yes, give the devil his due …

I am really talking about here and now, too little to late!