COVID-19: Thailand reports 26,081 new coronavirus cases, 91 deaths, 26,011 recoveries

webfact

COV7.jpg

File photo

Thailand on Thursday (April 7) reported 26,081 new COVID-19 cases, 26,011 recoveries and 91 additional deaths over the past 24 hours. 

Thursday’s cases bring the total number of COVID-19 infections in Thailand to 3,807,908 with 25,788 deaths.

The news comes as the Ministry of Public Health has voiced concern that more COVID-19 patients may require ventilators after the Songkran holidays.

According to Dr Sumanee Wacharasint, director of the Department of Disease Control’s (DDC) Risk Communication and Health Behavioral Development Bureau, 1,862 COVID-19 patients have been suffering from lung inflammation as of Tuesday, 781 of whom are on ventilators. She added that this number is steadily rising and is likely to see a spike after the Thai New Year holidays.

The bureau director also expressed concern over COVID fatalities, which have started exceeding 80 per day over the last seven days. Many of these deaths involve elderly patients or those with underlying health problems.**

**NNT contributed to this report

Discover Cigna’s range of health insurance solutions created for expats and local nationals living in Thailand - click to view

Keep up to date with all things Thailand - Join our daily ASEAN NOW Thailand Newsletter - Click to subscribe

Asean-now_Covid-Dashboard-Stats-Graphic-Template-Thailand-(update7APR).png

asean_now_BB.jpg

-- © Copyright  ASEAN NOW 2022-04-07

- Aetna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get your business in front of millions of customers who read ASEAN NOW with an interest in Thailand every month - email [email protected] for more information

For international communities in Thailand, Dept. of Disease Control’s made available Covid-19 booster shots now at MBK in BKK + public hospitals in provinces. Pls check. From April 18 booster shots r also available for walk-ins at Bangsue Grand Station. #COVID19 #ThailandOpen

https://twitter.com/SangratTanee/status/1511876890880925696

• Thanks 2

Phuket marks 222 new COVID cases, two more deaths

PHUKET: The latest Phuket Provincial Public Health Office (PPHO) daily COVID situation report has marked 222 new local infections confirmed across the island yesterday (Apr 6), bringing the total number of infections recorded since Jan 1 to 48,052.

https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-marks-222-new-covid-cases-two-more-deaths-83721.php

Image: PPHO

32 minutes ago, ThailandRyan said:

The issue is a lack of vaccinations for the elderly.  Thailand put the majority of the initial vaccinations into the arms of those working within the Tourist Areas as they felt that was better for the economy.  Instead they have relegated the elderly to an early and unfortunate demise especially with Songkran travel and the families going home with Omicron.....

I know a number of older people here in Thailand who simply refuse to get vaccinated because they are worried about possible long term damage from what they say are untested vaccines and the short term side effects after being vaccinated.

In our village the local health center has been sending people around to the houses of those still unvaccinated to try and persuade then to get a shot, sadly with no success most of the time.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, edwinchester said:

I know a number of older people here in Thailand who simply refuse to get vaccinated because they are worried about possible long term damage from what they say are untested vaccines and the short term side effects after being vaccinated.

In our village the local health center has been sending people around to the houses of those still unvaccinated to try and persuade then to get a shot, sadly with no success most of the time.

Therefore, compulsory vaccinations are the only answer, but I doubt that will ever happen.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sungod said:

Lets hope it never happens...

Ok, we don't coerce/mandate/insist they get vaccinated: What's the result?

Restrictions for even longer.

And double the deaths there needs to be in the elderly who also have personal health issues, I'd guess.

6 hours ago, candide said:

The chart provides raw figures without any interpretation. These figures are accurate because deaths are registered for various administrative purpose.

Some factors such as those you mentioned, if relevant, may be taken into account for interpreting them. Some may increase the number of deaths, some may reduce it (ex. Less deaths by other contagious diseases such as flu because of measures ta - it has been observed in other countries). But they cannot explain the huge difference observed.

However, even by using a +/- 10%, or even 20% margin of error, there is still a huge difference between official Covid deaths count and excess deaths all causes. We are not talking of differences measured in 100s but in 1000s.

If we compare with the official covid figures w/o the  year with the highest number of deaths all causes (2021), there are 4246 unexplained excess deaths. This difference is around two times the official number of Covid deaths. Which mysterious cause would explain such a difference? And the same pattern has been observed since the real beginning of the pandemic in Thailand, in April 2021. Vaccine and medication side- effects causing thousands of deaths during ONE MONTH.  Postponed surgery causing thousands of deaths durping one month? Really?

How about just saying 'good point'?

It's the lack of interpretation that is the problem. All I'm saying is that some of the excess deaths are certainly due to the two society-caused factors I mentioned.

Some figures are googleable, but I suspect the general effect is hugely underestimated and may be forever inscrutable.

6 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

You should also consider testing rates. In countries where there are low rates of covid testing then covid deaths is one of the primary causes of death in the pandemic. Thailand is lucky to carry out 50k pcr tests daily so I think that qualifies as a low rate of testing?

Thailand's previous lockdowns additionally helped reduce road death considerably and would also need to be taken into account.

5 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

It's the lack of interpretation that is the problem. All I'm saying is that some of the excess deaths are certainly due to the two society-caused factors I mentioned.

Some figures are googleable, but I suspect the general effect is hugely underestimated and may be forever inscrutable.

The aim of the source I used is to provide accurate facts. They don't provide interpretations, I guess because they want to stick to their mission. They leave it to others and that's fine.

In some cases, analysts found that Covid deaths could have been underestimated, or overestimated (it happened in some occasions in UK, if I remember well). However, in countries with a decent measurement system, the differences between covid deaths count and excess deaths usually don't exceed the +/- 10 % range. In Thailand it's +200%.

It's quite possible the two factors you mentioned (among others) may affect the excess deaths count.

My interpretation is that, in the case of Thailand, they cannot account for the huge discrepancy between official covid deaths count and excess deaths. Ex.  there have been deaths caused by vaccines in other countries. How many per month in countries with similar population size as Thailand, such as France or UK. 1, 2, 10? 

The huge discrepancy observed in Thailand leads to the following question (lawyers usually advise to formulate questions rather than assertions ???????? "Could it be possible that the current measurement system doesn't accurately assess the true number of covid deaths in Thailand, and actually significantly underestimates it?". 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Mr Derek said:

Vaccine deaths are about 1 in a million. 

• Like 1

Chonburi announces 1,542 new and confirmed cases of Covid-19 and three new death

Highlights:

1,542 new confirmed cases of Covid-19 in Chonburi today

5,833 positive ATK (rapid antigen) tests were reported but all require a second confirmed PCR test before being counted as official cases. The ATK positive tests are just “possible” cases until confirmed by PCR. TPN notes, however, that second confirmed tests are no longer mandatory except for high-risk groups.

1,390 (PCR) and 5,378 (ATK) recovered and were released from medical care

Three new deaths

https://thepattayanews.com/2022/04/07/chonburi-announces-1542-new-and-confirmed-cases-of-covid-19-and-three-new-deaths/

277799022_354650523369959_5628815801300740994_n.jpg

Edited by anchadian
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

not all vaccines prevent spread or infection but they reduce the seriousness of the effects of a disease. I had the measles vaccine, still caught measles as a child but was very mild case, without the vaccine could we'll have killed me or left me with serious complications.

• Like 1

Maximum of 50,000 COVID-19 daily infections predicted after Songkran

The Thai Ministry of Public Health has predicted that there will be a maximum average of 50,000 COVID-19 cases a day after the Songkran holidays next week, about 3,000 new cases of lung inflammation and 150 daily fatalities, if public cooperation in complying with safety measures remains at the present level.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/maximum-of-50000-covid-19-daily-infections-predicted-after-songkran/

A First Side-by-Side Comparison of Vaccines

Here’s the latest news from the pandemic.

Covid next big wave worries experts mapping U.S. vaccine plans

Fourth Covid shot recommended only for those over 80 in EU

Thailand mulls easing Covid test rules for overseas visitors 

What’s the best Covid vaccine?

Nine Covid-19 vaccines utilizing several design approaches have been listed for emergency use by the World Health Organization. Since they began rolling out in mass vaccination campaigns more than a year ago, people have asked, which shot is best?

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/newsletters/2022-04-07/a-first-side-by-side-comparison-of-vaccines

• Like 1

Example, about a week ago, the government put out a SEVEN PAGES long list of vaccination locations just for Chonburi province, that begins with the following image (and then click right to see the other related image pages):

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=339884654841018&set=a.304938938335590&type=3

OK, so that's ONE province... Now how about the other 75 besides Bangkok?

PS - yesterday, they also did TWO pages of similar vaccination sites in FIVE other provinces (Chiang Rai, Kanchanaburi, Ayutthaya, Phetchaburi and Saraburi).. starting with this image, and then click left for the second page:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=343758081120342&set=a.304938938335590&type=3

And we're now 2-1/2 years into the pandemic, and those lists above don't even total 10 provinces all combined.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK
  • Thanks 1

Member @Eaglekott 's per capita breakdown of new COVID cases reported today.

I'm just posting an image of the top 30 provinces on a per capita basis... Chonburi is No. 2... Bangkok isn't among the top 30, neither is Chiang Mai.

1943061330_2022-04-07percapita.jpg.e2fd503fe170a9cad049b4855d361401.jpg

His full list and image is in the following thread:

https://aseannow.com/topic/1221220-information-about-new-covid-19-cases-per-province/?do=findComment&comment=17292761