Thai garlic farmers suffer as cheaper Chinese bulbs flooded the market

webfact

I love using Thai garlic when I cook.  It is milder, less bitter, and the odor isn't overwhelming like what I got in the USA.  I generally use more than called for in a recipe, taste, and frequently add even more the next time I cook that dish.

By the way, the biggest sin in cooking with garlic occurs if you saute it too long.  It should be added after everything else has finished being sauteed, just before dishing up or before you add liquid.  Saute more than 30 seconds, with constant stirring, and you are burning the garlic and turning it bitter.  If you see a chef on TV add add garlic and onions together before sauteing them, stop watching because they don't know how to cook with garlic properly.

Broiled garlic is very similar in taste to roasted garlic.  Bake or broil whole cloves in their paper skins in an oven or saute on a hot skillet until the paper skin burns and the cloves are soft and perfect for sauces.  Broiled or roasted garlic take garlic aioli to a whole new level.  Add whole pealed cloves to the meat dish you are roasting and the cooked cloves are delicious.  Pealed whole cloves will give a soup or stew a mild garlic taste and are also delicious, which is something I discovered when eating boiled crayfish in Louisiana many years ago.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Guderian said:

I should imagine it will come down to taste more than price in the end. Thai garlic is sweet and mild, quite unlike the very strong, slightly astringent garlic we get in northern Europe. Whether this is down to the garlic type or the tropical climate I don't know, but few Thai recipes would work as well using the garlic I buy back home. I prefer Thai garlic as it's more difficult to use too much and spoil the dish.

Have you ever tasted fried garlic? I got a bag very cheap from Lazada and it taste great. They cook it in oil than let it dry out in the hot sun. There's no oily taste just a fried garlic taste.

7 hours ago, Guderian said:

I should imagine it will come down to taste more than price in the end. Thai garlic is sweet and mild, quite unlike the very strong, slightly astringent garlic we get in northern Europe. Whether this is down to the garlic type or the tropical climate I don't know, but few Thai recipes would work as well using the garlic I buy back home. I prefer Thai garlic as it's more difficult to use too much and spoil the dish.

Happens the same with the onions.

1 hour ago, patman30 said:

Exactly This????
Many here do not realise what is coming with the new railways,
they would be better trying to start a "Buy Thai" campaign
than asking any gov to step in, as that will never happen.

alternative farming methods also needed for many here
monocropping has destroyed the soil and they cannot compete
better to grow diverse organic crops to avoid competing with China
but that requires good soil which will take most a few years to get.

Not to mention the ridiculous import tax on agricultural machinery here, which is badly needed to get the local farmers up to more productive and efficient levels. 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1