Immigration rules tightened ?

13 minutes ago, OJAS said:

So haven't you during these 37 years ever been asked to provide proof of an outward ticket when checking in at Heathrow (or from whichever UK airport you were flying)? Check-in staff in the UK are usually pretty hot on enforcing this particular requirement, and you could well have been denied permission to board your flight had you not been in possession of a suitable onward ticket!

No, never before. This time I flew from Gatwick with a one way ticket and the airline couldn't care less. And my trips to Thailand are more than 65 during these years. In more than half of these I had some type of outward ticket, many times with another airline. I don't know if they can check that in the system without asking you.

Edited by Barry864
  • Like 2

Not sure if the hotel part is about immigration rather than Covid. They might want to make sure that they know where you are when you are supposed to take the self test on day 5. 

Edited by Caldera
  • Like 2

The onward ticket is nothing new for travel without visa.

Some will never believe it.

As written above: if you are unlucky your trip might have ended at home country check-in.

7 days? Well there was always a field to fill at the departure card about accommodation.

But can't tell whether there is any 7 day requirement.

Edited by KhunBENQ

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

So haven't you during these 37 years ever been asked to provide proof of an outward ticket when checking in at Heathrow (or from whichever UK airport you were flying)? Check-in staff in the UK are usually pretty hot on enforcing this particular requirement, and you could well have been denied permission to board your flight had you not been in possession of a suitable onward ticket!

I find this a bit surprising also, though check in staff can often see on their system that someone does, indeed, have a return/onward flight booking.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Barry864 said:

This time I flew from Gatwick with a one way ticket and the airline couldn't care less.

Different airlines have different procedures and many would not have allowed you to board. At the end of the day it is your responsibility to meet the requirements.

This statement was on the London Embassy website before they revamped it.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must show the documents below at the port of entry:
Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family.
Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

• Like 2

I wasn’t asked anything , no hotel , no flt out I’m here on 30 day exempt , even consulates in the West are most concerned about hotel reservations , it was 11:30 at night and I never go to women immigration officers they can be dramaful , also btw I was returning on a Rt ticket I left last July on Japan Airlines, they can be strict at times but not on a return ticket , I guess 

Edited by San Fran Dan

2 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

As written above: if you are unlucky your trip might have ended at home country check-in.

7 days? Well there was always a field to fill at the departure card about accommodation.

You would just take a seat in bench and book one online or use 

Miles and cancel or use that fake booking site , Japan Airlines once had me book a refundable flt 20 years ago, took 2 months to get back in my account 

4 hours ago, Caldera said:

Not sure if the hotel part is about immigration rather than Covid. They might want to make sure that they know where you are when you are supposed to take the self test on day 5. 

Precovid LA consulate , always wanted booked hotel before issuing Visa 

3 hours ago, KhunBENQ said:

You could easily step out of line briefly to " find " your outbound ticket and easily buy a "rent " ticket good for 48 hours for about 14$USD. Your trip would and should never end at your home country airport.  

32 minutes ago, The Hammer2021 said:

So you got away  with it 65 times. Please obey  the rules in future.

This is hilarious........Rules and regulations change at a moments notice and they have zero shame for this behavior.......Murky half azz rules mean nothing..

1 hour ago, RichardColeman said:

With respects your airline should have asked all of the same questions prior to boarding - least Thai Airways UK staffing did with me during check-in 

Which can be annoying as hell: I travel to West Africa regularly where I also have Residence Permit. On my way back to Thailand I have had hard times to explain to them, that I am on my return flight and so do not need to have a return flight back to West Africa.

9 hours ago, Barry864 said:

This time I flew from Gatwick with a one way ticket and the airline couldn't care less.

Which airline was it? I had a devil of a job persuading an Emirates check-in assistant at Gatwick several years ago that I was good to fly to Bangkok on the return portion of a flight ticket without the need for an onward ticket on account of the re-entry permit stamped in my passport!

Edited by OJAS

15+ years I’ve only been asked once about hotel which was booked but I only wrote the name and city.. Onward ticket never asked.  If no client meetings shortly after arrival time d wear shorts, sport

shirt and flip flops (sandals). Flying 1-1/2 million miles on business didn’t want to wear a suit. 

Once had a meeting just off the HK Airport 2 hours after arrival and onward flight 3 hours after meeting.  Plan was clean up after 16 hour flight in Airport restroom. My luggage was lost .. called

customer expained the situation shorts/sport golf type shirt.. that’s ok come to meeting.... most the HK folks were shirt and tie... they didn’t say anything.. .. if they did I could say... it’s your parent companies airline... 

9 hours ago, Barry864 said:

No, never before. This time I flew from Gatwick with a one way ticket and the airline couldn't care less. And my trips to Thailand are more than 65 during these years. In more than half of these I had some type of outward ticket, many times with another airline. I don't know if they can check that in the system without asking you.

Departures from US, they will always ask for onward ticket, if not found on your itinerary, and will deny if you do not have. I spent $70USD for onward ticket to PP, and that was accepted. I flew in before Christmas, and IO on arrival insisted to see my hotel "after ASQ" before approving.

5 hours ago, sandyf said:

Different airlines have different procedures and many would not have allowed you to board. At the end of the day it is your responsibility to meet the requirements.

This statement was on the London Embassy website before they revamped it.

Foreigners entering Thailand under the Tourist Visa Exemption category must show the documents below at the port of entry:
Proof of adequate finances for the duration of stay in Thailand i.e. traveller’s cheque or cash equivalent to 10,000 Baht per person and 20,000 Baht per family.
Proof of onward travel (confirmed air, train, bus or boat tickets) to leave Thailand within 30 days of the arrival date (**otherwise a tourist visa must be obtained).

These may be the strictest terms; applied only to suspected vagrants. 
There are never any legit “outward” airline terms for Thailand (with Western passport). 
Never been asked for anything at either end anywhere in 45 years Intl. travel prior to Covid.Except strong questioning entering USA and Canada (never returned).