Thailand abstains on russian human right record

jippytum

2 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thailand's political motives, whatever they may be are none of our business anyway.

They are our business in the sense they can have a huge impact on our lives.........but I might agree that unless you are a Thai citizen the right to influence Thai politics is a moot point.

• Like 2

Just now, Will B Good said:

Unless you find a swastika in someone's basement.....then you can invade them...surely?

When I find out which side put the swastika there and then maybe I would.

People's emotions are played with to much these days which clouds the real truth.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

Thailand's government aims to please China and other big powers, and will just weigh cost/benefits of any other action. The don't let their judgement be clouded by pollutants such as the greater good or right and wrong.

• Like 1

Abstention is not the same as expressing support for Russia.

Having said that, it is consistent with Thailand's record of sitting on the fence.

It would be more meaningful if Russia was voted off the UN entirely, and designated a rogue state.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kwasaki said:

When I find out which side put the swastika there and then maybe I would.

People's emotions are played with to much these days which clouds the real truth.

Okay, fella, tell us the 'real truth'.

There is only one proper side in this issue: against russia

A war of choice started solely because a small dick psychopath is hellbent on re-establishing the murderous former Bloc he grew up in. SO he manufactures lies about "nazis", has his GRU and SVR churn out propaganda that appeals to the low IQ or brain addled demographic, unleashes hell on a previously peaceful land where folks were simply going about their daily business, and ordered attacks specifically against schools, hospitals, food storage facilities. But for the little psycho, that isn't enough. He tosses in summary executions, rapes, even beheadings.

The world has seen little vlad's playbook before: he made his name by slaughtering 250,000 civilians in Chechnya near the turn of the Century. He engaged in similar behavior in Georgia, and most recently in Syria, particularly Aleppo. So insecure and vindictive is the little guy that he also targets domestic critics and opponents, such as Boris Nemtsov, Alexander Litvinenko, Anna Politkovskaya, among others. He ordered the poisoning of Alexei Navalny, and has now imprisoned him for life. He ordered the dioxin poisoning of former Ukraine President Viktor Yushchenko.

Heck of a guy, little vlad. Oh, and his actions are not a 'purely domestic issue', so to stand against russia's human rights abuses, war crimes, and crimes against humanity in Ukraine is not interfering in another country's politics; it is taking the moral high ground. It is doing the right thing.

The immoral of this world are comfortable with these ongoing atrocities. Would that the decent and civilized world adopt the same indifference or the questioning of reality ("by doing one's own research", which is codeword for adopting silly conspiracy theories) if the immoral are similarly attacked and slaughtered.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Opinion: Thailand’s abstention on Russia HRC status is a black mark that tarnishes our honour and reputation

Thailand abstained in last night’s vote by the United Nations General Assembly to kick Russia out of the Human Rights Council.

(More)

https://www.thaienquirer.com/39292/opinion-thailands-abstention-on-russia-hrc-status-is-a-black-mark-that-tarnishes-our-honour-and-reputation/

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Thailand's political motives, whatever they may be are none of our business anyway.

Let me guess… You’re just a guest here and have no right to any political opinion about Thailand…    ????????️

‘None of our business’ has always been an argument of the weak.  Why even bother contributing to the discussion if it’s none of our business ? 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I looked up what the role of the commission is, the one that Thailand did not want to cast judgment on Russia on. Its major role includes:

"review the human rights records of member States, work to prevent abuses"

Its bad enough that Russia can effectively stop anything the security council decides (it has veto power). Better to get it off the human rights council so its can't interfere with the accusations against it in an unfair manner there as well.

Let those its soldiers may have raped, murdered, held hostage, etc etc have some route to fair unbiased justice.

Edited by Whale
typo

TBH I expected this but the important numbers were 93 in favour and 24 against so Russia got kicked out and quite rightly. Next stop we want International Criminal courts to issue warrants

Edited by Bkk Brian
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Bkk Brian said:

TBH I expected this but the important numbers were 93 in favour and 24 against so Russia got kicked out and quite rightly. Next stop we want International Criminal courts to issue warrants

What the other 58.

92 verses 82.