Countries as good as Thailand for single men

Lolothai

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

IMO we are talking at cross-purposes, I brought my first set of golf clubs here as a tourist, no duty. Second set no duty, third 3000 baht. Retirement visa.

You may be right in saying you can bring in personal effects with no duty payable when you come here, excluding sporting equipment. However, does the exclusion mean you can't bring it in at all, or only that you have to pay duty assessed by a Customs official if you do?

Bringing in sporting equipment is or was prohibited if you were applying to live in Thailand on an O or O/A visa. A car similarly. Not a question of declaring and paying duty. I could hardly believe it myself. 

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

If you're talking secondhand - nobody can import a car now. The rules changed a few years ago. Prior to that retirees with the correct visas could import a car but it was not really viable in any case due to hideous import taxes.

You're missing out a step in the changes, because when I came in 2016 it was only retirees who could not. Then the situation was as I quoted where if you work on a visa you could import one car. Now I take your word for the fact that no immigrant on a visa can import a car.

I would even have paid customs  the actual value of the car (estimate of value was a very negotiable issue, a good import agent could save you money) to bring it in and was investigating servicing and parts availability. But it wasn't to be. Probably saved me headaches down the line. ????

12 minutes ago, RafPinto said:

I came and was a hit.

189cm

81kg

Sporty

125Million $ invested in Bitcoin

Looking like Brat Pit

Well build

Ladies on ASEAN, please request an up to date picture.

Still single and available.

Now you are reminding me of an old Aussie expression: " If bull###t was music, you'd be a brass band."

Keep up the good work.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

Bringing in sporting equipment is or was prohibited if you were applying to live in Thailand on an O or O/A visa. A car similarly. Not a question of declaring and paying duty. I could hardly believe it myself. 

So how would you explain what I was able to do, not once but three times?

BTW, no bribes sought or offered.

43 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

BTW, no bribes sought or offered.gs in twice and my 

I got off the plane on three different trips starting in 2009, and carried my golf bags in twice, and the third time my diving gear.  Here on an ME Non Immigrant O at the time based on marriage.  Retired here and after divorcing brought in another set of clubs in 2019.  Never knew I couldn't keep them here as I was not a tourist, but now I know.  Guess I will need to go to customs prostrate myself and wait....

• Like 1

On 4/8/2022 at 11:08 AM, Lolothai said:

...is there any similar countries as good as Thailand for single men?

To my knowledge Cambodia, Philippines and Vietnam should be excellent alternatives and probably equal expensive to hook up with women for longer term - i.e. same-same, but different...????

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

BTW, no bribes sought or offered.

I think we covered this. I was talking about what you are allowed to bring when you come on a retirement visa. Just repeating for sake of clarity. ????????

Edited by Speedhump
Speeling and grammer

15 minutes ago, Speedhump said:

I think we covered this. I was talking about what you are allowed to bring when you come on a retirement visa. Just repeating for sake of clarity. ????????

Refer the post by ThailandRyan, now there's two of us. You're waffling, clarity my ##se.

11 hours ago, Russell17au said:

What about the kids happiness and future? Are you going to deny these children their right to access to their mother? If that is what your intensions are then I hope she does file a complaint and make it an Interpol case so that you can be arrested wherever you are. You are a selfish arrogant person who does not care about what the children may want, you are only caring about yourself and finding a place where YOU are safe and happy.

You're presuming a lot there without knowing the facts. 

In fairness to the OP, he did choose to take the kids to France with him. If he was an uncaring father he probably would've just left them in Thailand and never seen them again. Just saying...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sheesh mate, you are a glutton for punishment

I was working in Warrington, having lunch with the lads, and I said I’d taken a job in Hong Kong.  A compatriot, who had been transferred down South when the Fast Reactor project closed, said “Sure, and if I was choosing somewhere to live, I don’t think I’d choose Hong Kong”

”If I was going to take a job based on where I wanted to live, I’d not be talking to you here, now”

49 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Refer the post by ThailandRyan, now there's two of us. You're waffling, clarity my ##se.

I'm not going to start playing whack-a-mole. My posts have been polite (unlike you now) and everything I've said has been factual and completely correct in respect of what people have been allowed to import when immigrating. I understand that it seems no-one can now import cars. I haven't disputed that because I don't have information. I don't think you were aware of that either. So rude, wind your neck in. 

13 hours ago, JackGats said:

Quite a few countries far better than TH for "active bachelors" in my opinion. Like Brazil and Colombia. I'd be living there now if they didn't tax my pension.

Many other countries are better than TH in that respect too but have so poor an infrastructure that you wouldn't want to live there long.

What BS. As usual long term expats to much in love with Thailand to leave telling others there are far better places

Always an excuse. 

I would leave tomorrow......BUT I cant because ( insert any dodgy reason here)

I have a cat

I have a lady boy

I have a gold fish

I support my wife and the village blah blah ????

3 hours ago, CG1 Blue said:

You're presuming a lot there without knowing the facts. 

In fairness to the OP, he did choose to take the kids to France with him. If he was an uncaring father he probably would've just left them in Thailand and never seen them again. Just saying...

indeed it would be long to answer so I didn't bother, thank you to do it for me. I'm taking very well of my kids, I'm doing only this, from morning to evening and it was the case already in Thailand. Meanwhile their mother who call them once a week is busy with her boyfriend in the house I bought and built for our family and the future of my kids, not the future of her and her boyfriend. She spend her time exchanging love word on another facebook she made for other men...

I'm not sure to go anywhere anyway, I'm just very lonely and shocked but I have to keep it inside and show happiness to my children.

• Like 1

On 4/9/2022 at 3:57 AM, StreetCowboy said:

I am struggling to recall the last time that I benefitted from anonymous advice from strangers.

But back in the day, I worked in Middlesbrough. 

Mickey  D says to me "Cowboy, you've been to America; where would you recommend?"

"Aye, well, Mickey, the best night out I had was in Albuquerque, but..."

"That's all I need to know"
I went back to Middlesbrough some years later, and we met up again.

"Yefookinbastart" and if I had not been so nimble at backing off we'd have come to blows.
"Ah went t'Albaqurque, and Ah've neva' bin so bored so quickly"

And I could see how that could happen, and how it might have been avoided if he'dpaused to listen to the whole story.

You are not strangers, and their experience may not be relevant to you.
Times may differ, and what has happened in the past may not be the same as your experience in the future.

If you are looking for information, ask specific questions, not recommendations.

If you are looking for advice, then you deserve all you get.

Reminds me of going to Sri Lanka on the advice of a guy I knew, but when I saw him again he got an earful. Probably more going on in Saudi than in that <deleted> place.

10 hours ago, Speedhump said:

Now I take your word for the fact that no immigrant on a visa can import a car.

Not only Immigrants - the importation of secondhand cars hase been banned.  There are limited exceptions I believe - such as emergency services vehicles and those used by diplomats.  I believe the ban also extends to motorcycles.

Edited by KhaoYai

1 hour ago, KhaoYai said:

Not only Immigrants - the importation of secondhand cars hase been banned.  There are limited exceptions I believe - such as emergency services vehicles and those used by diplomats.  I believe the ban also extends to motorcycles.

Thanks for that, I misunderstood. 

9 hours ago, Speedhump said:

I'm not going to start playing whack-a-mole. My posts have been polite (unlike you now) and everything I've said has been factual and completely correct in respect of what people have been allowed to import when immigrating. I understand that it seems no-one can now import cars. I haven't disputed that because I don't have information. I don't think you were aware of that either. So rude, wind your neck in. 

You'll have to put my rudeness down to exasperation. You've got the evidence before you, and still persist with a spurious claim one cannot bring sporting equipment into Thailand as a retiree. Put me on ignore if you can't handle the truth.

10 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa, unless that has changed.

This point of your thesis is a bit off - you do not need money on deposit - many have access to retirement with minimal or no deposits (having served there for one).  But most staying long term just use tourist visa extensions as that only requires one day every three years outside of PI.  Those getting married have full access for stay.

Nobody will argue food is great but it is not that bad either.  Much more access to fast food than Thailand (at lower prices) and pork is always good.  If able to pay supermarket prices most US food products are easily available.  And Thai restaurants are available.

Do not want to make this longer - suffice to say do not fully agree with a lot of the cons - but do agree they are factors - just not as serious as indicated for those minding their business.   Do appreciate the information.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1